A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:22:54 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa local business development.  (Read 1828 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: March 02, 2017, 10:14:42 am »

This REI thing got me thinking again about how we as a city can take an extra step to help local businesses thrive, grow and expand to other cities and states.

I know personally that if I were a local sports store for instance that had the goal of becoming the next "REI", (not that I had even heard of them before this recent debacle with the park) and I saw that this out of town company got a sweetheart deal from the city with cheap land in a prime location etc. (not to mention all the free advertising they just got) that I would be really upset.  As a local business I care a lot about the city, and then to see the city care more about the outsider than the local is very frustrating.

I will watch the city and groups like TYPROS bend over backwards to reach out and try to bring in this or that retailer, shower them with attention, do publicity campaigns, etc.  But surely there are local businesses that have some unique or "cool factor" about them and dream of making it big, that with as much attention could really make a go of it.

I almost wish there were a way to identify local companies that have a special and unique vision, and a desire to grow and expand, and then a way to focus some attention, connections, expertise and resources towards those companies to give them a little boost to help them achieve their goals.  No, I am not talking about "business incubators" and such, starting a business is only 1 tiny step in a long process. 

It should be that our focus is more on helping local businesses become businesses that other cities want in their cities, versus us going out and trying to get other cities businesses to move to ours. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org