A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 10:49:34 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa as a "Sanctuary City"  (Read 1790 times)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »

When protecting the vary existence of a country becomes absurd, I guess I've lost the argument. So you are all right with the police protecting people from messing with other people, but not from foreigners f'ing us all. There is a reason that every country in history has defended it's borders. The notion has not become antiquated as so many here seem to believe.

I know that's being a little mellow dramatic, but seriously people. It's no bait and switch, except in you all's warped sense of state.

do you mean melodramatic?  I know what you meant but it does not interpret the way you said it.  Unless you really meant a very laid back drama.  Then I am totally out of bounds. 

‎"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:52 am »

We've seen successive waves of immigrants, starting with the Irish and continuing through the Chinese, southern Europeans and eastern Europeans, with each wave producing a nativist reaction and demands for measures to repel the "invaders." The republic survived those bouts of xenophobia. It will survive this one.

The big change, however, is the growth of Asian and Hispanic populations. This is causing some foreboding among the largely white and elderly Republican elite. Deservedly so.

Ed

"In a democracy, people get the government they deserve"...Joseph de Maistre
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 02:39:49 pm »

The City Council on Tuesday terminated an agreement with the federal agency that allowed Oakland police to take part in task forces headed by ICE.

“Under the new presidential administration, we have seen increased use of ICE to target non-criminals, including arresting people dropping their kids off at school, including arresting people coming out of church, and including arresting a woman in court who was there to testify against the man who had raped her, arrested by ICE for deportation.”

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/07/19/oakland-cuts-ties-with-ice
http://michiganradio.org/post/its-federal-agency-it-can-arrest-people-your-town-it-wont-say-who-it-has-custody

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 04:01:42 pm »

We've seen successive waves of immigrants, starting with the Irish and continuing through the Chinese, southern Europeans and eastern Europeans, with each wave producing a nativist reaction and demands for measures to repel the "invaders." The republic survived those bouts of xenophobia. It will survive this one.

The big change, however, is the growth of Asian and Hispanic populations. This is causing some foreboding among the largely white and elderly Republican elite. Deservedly so.

Starting with the English.   And when the Natives objected, they were exterminated.  So, being Irish, I guess I should be thankful that only ridicule, deep persecution, decade after decade of abuse and mistreatment came our way...!  But by then, the English Overlords realized they needed the minions of all kinds to set on the backs of.

“When you wage war on the public schools, you're attacking the mortar that holds the community together. You're not a conservative, you're a vandal.”    - Garrison Keillor

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 05:49:44 pm »

Some of that anti-Catholic bias remains. It's not unusual to find a Catholic church well removed from the "important" buildings fronting a town square in rural PA. And in that farm country where I lived, Catholics were sometimes reviled. I did not and do not understand that. But my employer would not hire anyone into a management position unless they were Catholic. Illegal, yes, but proving it was another thing.

Ed

"In a democracy, people get the government they deserve"...Joseph de Maistre
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2017, 10:47:26 am »

Some of that anti-Catholic bias remains. It's not unusual to find a Catholic church well removed from the "important" buildings fronting a town square in rural PA. And in that farm country where I lived, Catholics were sometimes reviled. I did not and do not understand that. But my employer would not hire anyone into a management position unless they were Catholic. Illegal, yes, but proving it was another thing.

SWMBO was raised taught that Catholics are Communists.  Persona non grata.  And her cousin actually had the temerity to marry one!!  He even had been a Trappist monk!!   Great guy!

And I was raised around Catholics - not quite sure how they insinuated themselves into the private personal lives of Methodists and Baptists quite as much as they did, but am glad they did!  Have reached the point that if I were going to attend church on a more regular basis than I do now, it would either be Catholic or Unitarian....can't quite make up my mind yet.

“When you wage war on the public schools, you're attacking the mortar that holds the community together. You're not a conservative, you're a vandal.”    - Garrison Keillor

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2017, 10:16:03 pm »

A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities.

U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/11/20/us/ap-us-sanctuary-cities.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org