A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:56:31 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Education in Oklahoma  (Read 9757 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2024, 10:34:42 pm »

After Nonbinary Student’s Death, Schools Chief Defends Strict Gender Policies.
The Oklahoma school superintendent, Ryan Walters, said “radical leftists” had created a narrative about the death of 16-year-old Nex Benedict that “hasn’t been true.”

In his three years as state superintendent for Oklahoma’s public schools, Ryan Walters, a former high school history teacher, has transformed himself into one of the most strident culture warriors in a state known for sharp-edged conservative politics.

Following the death earlier this month of a 16-year-old nonbinary student a day after an altercation in a high school girls’ bathroom, gay and transgender advocates accused Mr. Walters of having fomented an atmosphere of dangerous intolerance within public schools.

In his first interview reacting to the death of the student, Nex Benedict, Mr. Walters told The New York Times that the death was a tragedy, but that it did not change his views on how questions of gender should be handled in schools.

“I really see there’s a civil war going on, where the left is really fighting for the soul of our country,” he said. “They are undermining the very principles that made this country great, our Judeo-Christian values and our traditions in this country.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/23/us/oklahoma-nonbinary-student-superintendent.html

Stitt and Walters have no humanity. I wouldn't let them walk my dog. Walters deserves prison.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2024, 09:28:26 am »

This was a hate crime, pure and simple, regardless of how the fascist right may try to spin it.   And was not even about mixed gender in a bathroom.  Young girl using the girl's restroom, and attacked again as the latest of years of bullying.

And no, I have not forgotten a reply for the miscellaneous thread....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org