A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:43 pm
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump & Immigration  (Read 123604 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #300 on: June 13, 2019, 05:18:57 pm »

Oklahoma Army Post to Temporarily House Migrant Children
Move to open up Fort Sill comes as apprehensions at the southern border rise sharply

“Fort Sill is not designed for this purpose, and turning the facility into a longer-term solution for housing these minors is extremely concerning,” Rep. Markwayne Mullin said in 2014. “We need to be looking for real solutions, not temporary fixes.”
During World War II, Fort Sill was a Japanese internment site. The post also held German prisoners of war.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fort-sill-in-oklahoma-to-temporarily-house-migrant-children-11560365618

I had an uncle who was a guard at the POW camp there.  And another one in Arkansas for a while, too.

Just another massive Trump Fail.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #301 on: June 15, 2019, 12:34:22 pm »

Latest "winner, winner, chicken dinner" moment for the Trump Disgusto World.

Letting big game hunters bring elephant trophies back into the US...

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/03/06/trump-called-elephant-hunts-a-horror-show-his-administration-just-lifted-a-trophy-hunting-ban/?outputType=amp&fbclid=IwAR377Roi2s7yujuS3-iQGluKt3xy1UIfelG3OuyecLop0wY40r5Bn2r7Xrs

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2019, 12:57:28 pm »

Well, it's good to know there are still countries with at least some level of morals and ethics...!

That Japanese are unwilling to go along with the Trump lies.  And who else has missiles in the area?  Pretty much limits it to us and Israel...and everyone knows that neither of those two would want to incite anything in the middle east that might lead to conflict.

Interesting how someone knew exactly where to be and exactly when to be there to show a boat supposedly taking mines off the Japanese ship...Aren't coincidences a wonderful thing?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/japanese-tanker-owner-contradict-u-s-officials-over-explosives-used-n1017556?fbclid=IwAR1FVseWK1gpfSPolTLP4fdFSorEAm5o612mQOxK5vlOxkiIs16LR0XnNMY

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #303 on: July 01, 2019, 12:08:43 pm »

Members of a secret Facebook group for current and former Border Patrol agents joked about the deaths of migrants, discussed throwing burritos at Latino members of Congress visiting a detention facility in Texas on Monday and posted a vulgar illustration depicting Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez engaged in oral sex with a detained migrant, according to screenshots of their postings.

In one exchange, group members responded with indifference and wisecracks to the post of a news story about a 16-year-old Guatemalan migrant who died in May while in custody at a Border Patrol station in Weslaco, Texas. One member posted a GIF of Elmo with the quote, “Oh well.” Another responded with an image and the words “If he dies, he dies.”

Created in August 2016, the Facebook group is called “I’m 10-15” and boasts roughly 9,500 members from across the country.

https://www.propublica.org/article/secret-border-patrol-facebook-group-agents-joke-about-migrant-deaths-post-sexist-memes
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a28246635/border-patrol-facebook-group-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-propublica/

Border Patrol Chief Carla Provost Was a Member of Secret Facebook Group
https://theintercept.com/2019/07/12/border-patrol-chief-carla-provost-was-a-member-of-secret-facebook-group/

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 09:56:56 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #304 on: July 01, 2019, 02:06:22 pm »

It's Trump's version of a "great America"....

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #305 on: July 13, 2019, 10:11:56 pm »

Former ICE chief says raids announced for political gain, endangering migrants, agents

LOS ANGELES — Immigration raids scheduled to take place in at least nine U.S. cities Sunday could be mass, indiscriminate roundups that target entire families rather than those who pose a threat, says a former acting director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

John Sandweg, who worked for the Department of Homeland Security from 2009 to 2014, including a stint as acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, was critical of the Trump administration's continued broadcasting of Sunday's ICE enforcement action against an estimated 2,000 families with members said to be the subject of deportation orders.

Sandweg said in an interview Friday that the announcements were for political gain and could endanger law enforcement agents, cause felons to hide and discourage immigrants from reporting criminals.
"Unfortunately, I think what we're gonna find here is a lot of folks who pose no threat to public safety are gonna be apprehended by this operation."

The final and perhaps most long-term impact of publicized raids, Sandweg said, is damaged relations with immigrant communities.

"I absolutely expect that the administration intends to arrest every single one of those individuals when they go to those types of homes, even if the intended target is not there when they arrive," Sandweg said.

"We need to be able to have a trusting relationship with people in the immigrant communities so they point us out to where the bad guys are," he said. "Obviously you eliminate that when you talk about these kind of raids targeting non-criminal family populations."

Sandweg said he can only conclude that Trump, who first tweeted about "removing millions of illegal aliens" from the country on the eve of his re-election announcement, is using the raids to whip up voter support.

"I don't see any reason to publicize this operation but for political reasons," he said. "There is absolutely no operational reason, period, to publicize these raids."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/former-ice-chief-says-raids-announced-political-gain-endangering-migrants-n1029471

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #306 on: July 21, 2019, 01:01:45 pm »

Demonstrators protest plan to detain migrant children in Oklahoma

More than 100 demonstrators protested Saturday in withering heat outside an Oklahoma Army base against the Trump administration’s plans to detain migrant children there.

Japanese Americans and Native Americans were among those who took part in the march to Fort Sill and the rally in front of one of its entrances, briefly blocking a city street. They chanted “Close the camps” and carried signs with messages including “Human Rights Matter,” “Love Trumps Hate.”

The protest follows a similar rally held June 22 at Fort Sill, which was used by the federal government to house hundreds of Japanese and Japanese Americans during World War II and Apache prisoners of war from 1894 to 1910. The federal Office of Refugee Resettlement recently announced plans to temporarily detain up to 1,400 migrant children at the base about 80 miles southwest of Oklahoma City.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/demonstrators-protest-plan-to-detain-migrant-children-in-oklahoma/2019/07/20/e1146c22-ab26-11e9-86dd-d7f0e60391e9_story.html

“Fort Sill is not designed for this purpose, and turning the facility into a longer-term solution for housing these minors is extremely concerning,” Rep. Markwayne Mullin said in 2014. “We need to be looking for real solutions, not temporary fixes.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fort-sill-in-oklahoma-to-temporarily-house-migrant-children-11560365618

On Sunday, President Donald Trump tweeted that four nonwhite women in Congress should “go back” to their countries, repeating racist rhetoric that nonwhite citizens are not Americans.

Hours later, Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt tweeted his support of the city's immigrant community.

“When you have national leadership telling people that our citizens, including those who were born in our country just like me, should leave the country, I just felt a moral imperative that people understand that we don’t feel that way in Oklahoma City,” Holt said.

Holt said telling a person to “go back” to your country has additional meaning in Oklahoma, which is home to a large number of Native Americans.
“From a Native American perspective everyone is an immigrant,” said Holt, who is Osage.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5636253/holt-immigrants-are-welcome-in-oklahoma-city

"Using Donald Trump's logic, instead of saying 'the American dream is dead' in 2016, instead of talking about 'American carnage,' instead of saying that America was quote 'crippled,' using his own logic he should have gone back to Scotland instead of running for president of the United States," Scarborough, who previously served as a Republican congressman but now identifies as an independent, said. "Because actually, his mother was an immigrant to this country."

As Scarborough pointed out, Trump's mother immigrated to the U.S. from Scotland. Mary Anne Trump, born MacLeod, came to the U.S. due to economic problems back in her European homeland and arrived in the country in 1930.

Eddie Glaude Jr. responded to Scarborough's comments by pointing out that Trump's wife, mother-in-law and father-in-law are all recent immigrants as well. "The one thing that's consistent is they're all white."

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-immigrant-mother-back-scotland-1449241

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org