A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:23:16 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump & Immigration  (Read 123043 times)
TeeDub
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2017, 07:33:26 am »

You obviously can see whatever patterns you want.  It isn't enough of a pattern for the US Attorney, but hey, you obviously know better than the person tasked to investigate and prosecute it.

I don't know other than what I have read....   And I choose not to read more into things than are actually there.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2017, 09:12:09 pm »

(CNN)Three Customs and Border Protection agents were arrested after allegedly assaulting two of their fellow colleagues in hazing-type incidents that involved what was referred to as a "rape table" at their office in Newark Liberty International Airport, according to a press release from the US Attorney's Office.
In both incidents, the two alleged victims were locked in a conference room and forced onto a table, which was referred to as a "rape table" by the men charged with assaulting the victims. The victims were held down by colleagues while one officer got on top of them and "moved his genitals up and down" in "simulation of a sex act," according to the press release.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2017, 09:38:00 am »

In the early days of Donald Trump’s presidency, ICE agents in Austin scrambled — and largely failed — to engineer a narrative that would substantiate the administration’s claims that the raids were motivated by public safety concerns. Instead, the emails detail the evolution of ICE’s public statements once it became obvious that the Trump administration’s narrative was not true.

On February 10, as the raids kicked off, an ICE executive in Washington sent an “URGENT” directive to the agency’s chiefs of staff around the country. “Please put together a white paper covering the three most egregious cases,” for each location, the acting chief of staff of ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operations wrote in the email. “If a location has only one egregious case — then include an extra egregious case from another city.”

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/04/ice-raids-trump-immigration-deportation/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2017, 03:55:54 pm »

I heard the other day the FBI was going after bank robbers and the DEA was trying to bust drug dealers.   They even had to tell stories about people they busted.

I think it was all a plot for job security.

Is there a method to enter the country legally?   (You notice the "legal" part of the word legailty?)   Maybe if people would follow the laws then they wouldn't run into trouble.   Personally I think there should be a fast track way to come into the US and pay taxes...   I also believe there shouldn't be speed limits or a moratorium on using medicinal marijuana...   

Disney told me that if I wanted really REALLY hard, I could get what I wanted...   AS it turns out, those things are still illegal and thus, have consequences.    I suggest voting in politicians that will change the laws and convert "illegal" to "legal."
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2017, 07:37:56 pm »

I heard the other day the FBI was going after bank robbers and the DEA was trying to bust drug dealers.   They even had to tell stories about people they busted.

I think it was all a plot for job security.

Is there a method to enter the country legally?   (You notice the "legal" part of the word legailty?)   Maybe if people would follow the laws then they wouldn't run into trouble.   Personally I think there should be a fast track way to come into the US and pay taxes...   I also believe there shouldn't be speed limits or a moratorium on using medicinal marijuana...    

Disney told me that if I wanted really REALLY hard, I could get what I wanted...   AS it turns out, those things are still illegal and thus, have consequences.    I suggest voting in politicians that will change the laws and convert "illegal" to "legal."

I think the best solution is a mix of increased trade with Mexico (and Central America) to further raise them to the first world, along with an electronic fence and opening up legal immigration more. Most people without chronic illness or criminal convictions should be allowed in. So the only people trying to enter illegally over the border can be assumed to be criminals and the border patrol can react proportionately without fear of hurting people who are just simply poor and looking for a better life.

The combination of those would decrease the supply of poor immigrants, increase the slots for legal immigration and allow us to focus on criminals at the border.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:12:56 pm by swake » Logged
TeeDub
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2017, 08:03:09 pm »

I think the best solution is a mix of increased trade with Mexico (and Central America) to further raise them to the first world, along with an electronic fence and opening up legal immigration more.

That is the only solution that would work.   If you live in a dirt floored hovel with spotty electricity, crap in the streets from no working sewer, trying to raise a family with no ability to move upward of course you are going to try to come to the US any way possible.   Even living 14 deep in a 2 bedroom apartment is a step up.    I can't fault them.   I would probably do the same thing.. 

So let's fix the system.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2017, 10:21:49 pm »

That is the only solution that would work.   If you live in a dirt floored hovel with spotty electricity, crap in the streets from no working sewer, trying to raise a family with no ability to move upward of course you are going to try to come to the US any way possible.   Even living 14 deep in a 2 bedroom apartment is a step up.    I can't fault them.   I would probably do the same thing.. 

So let's fix the system.

These are people that are motivated to work for a better life. To do anything, to do what it takes. That is the special sauce that makes Americans and why we are the most successful nation on earth. We rob other countries of the most intelligent, the hardest working and the most motivated people on earth.

To stop that migration is to hurt our future.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2017, 10:25:10 pm »

We stepped up trade by closing American manufacturing plants and helping open maquiladora shops in northern Mexico.  A lot of American textile and garment plants have closed and moved their production to Central America.  But it didn’t seem to stem the tide of immigrants still illegally entering our country.  Increasing trade with Mexico or Central America doesn’t appear to raise their wages to a level which makes it more attractive to stay there rather than seeking higher wages on this side of the border.  The benefit to companies moving manufacturing operations south of the border was the cheaper labor. 

It seems we’ve done the stepping up trade with these countries but that hasn’t been a solution to illegal immigration so far.  How do we correct that?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2017, 10:35:49 pm »

We stepped up trade by closing American manufacturing plants and helping open maquiladora shops in northern Mexico.  A lot of American textile and garment plants have closed and moved their production to Central America.  But it didn’t seem to stem the tide of immigrants still illegally entering our country.  Increasing trade with Mexico or Central America doesn’t appear to raise their wages to a level which makes it more attractive to stay there rather than seeking higher wages on this side of the border.  The benefit to companies moving manufacturing operations south of the border was the cheaper labor. 

It seems we’ve done the stepping up trade with these countries but that hasn’t been a solution to illegal immigration so far.  How do we correct that?

Most illegal immigrants are not Mexican anymore. Mexico on a per capita basis is wealthier than China.
TeeDub
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2017, 10:03:21 am »

A lot of American textile and garment plants have closed and moved their production to Central America. 

I read an article a couple of years ago talking about how the prices were on the rise in Mexico/Central America and the textile mills were moving to Asia as a result. 

Again, more problems with no proposed solutions.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2017, 12:13:58 pm »

I heard the other day the FBI was going after bank robbers and the DEA was trying to bust drug dealers.   They even had to tell stories about people they busted.
https://theintercept.com/2017/10/04/ice-raids-trump-immigration-deportation/

I dont think the author was saying laws shouldn't be enforced, but rather, enforcement should not solely be for the benefit of the ruling party's propaganda.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2017, 02:25:35 pm »

Most illegal immigrants are not Mexican anymore. Mexico on a per capita basis is wealthier than China.

Hence, my mention of Mexico and Central America.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TeeDub
« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2017, 05:48:01 pm »

I dont think the author was saying laws shouldn't be enforced, but rather, enforcement should not solely be for the benefit of the ruling party's propaganda.

The beautiful thing about laws...   The police just get to enforce them, they don't have to push any agenda.

Does the Tulsa Police Department gets to write speeding tickets without impunity or do they also have to push an agenda and justify their actions? 

I guess you could write a story about anything and as long as you can get someone to sympathize with it, you will sell column space.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2017, 09:28:23 am »

The beautiful thing about laws...   The police just get to enforce them, they don't have to push any agenda.

If you believe this, I recommend riding a bicycle or motorcycle in traffic,  or standing near a school with camera in hand. You'll learn much about the enforcement of imaginary laws.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2017, 09:42:05 am »

If you believe this, I recommend riding a bicycle or motorcycle in traffic,  or standing near a school with camera in hand. You'll learn much about the enforcement of imaginary laws.

"We dont make the laws, just enforce them" may have been true back in the before-time, but when you look today at how many laws are "suggested" or flat-out written by the various police unions its hard to argue they are a captive audience.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org