A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:15:27 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Tax Commission nonsense  (Read 9354 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« on: February 13, 2017, 04:03:00 pm »

I filed our taxes electronically back on February 2nd. Today I received a letter from the OTC stating that in order to help prevent identity fraud they have implemented a new system this year. That system requires that I send them our W2's, 1099's, and various other forms as needed within 30 days. What utter nonsense. What the hell is the point of filing electronically if they are going to require taxpayers to mail in forms? Once again the state has found a way to take something that should be a convenience for its citizens and instead turn it on its head and make it a pain in the donkey.  

I can't wait to retire and move the hell out of this state.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:04:38 pm »

Oh it gets better. After calling the number on their letter and waiting on hold forever I finally got to talk to a human. I asked why this was necessary and got all the usual "for your protection and safety" BS. So then I asked since the letter stated that the originals of the W2's, etc... were needed if a copy I printed at home would suffice since neither my wife or I receive a hard copy of our W2 from our employers nor do we receive a hard copy of a 1099 from one of the credit unions we belong to.

She asked how I received them then, duh, so I explained they were electronic and had to be downloaded and then printed out if a hard copy was needed. She said she didn't know, put me on hold for a bit then came back and said "No, that isn't an original and won't be accepted." So after laughing a bit I asked if she was sure as that seemed ridiculous, she said that she was sure. I then explained that I don't even have the option of getting a hard copy of my W2 from my employer as they don't provide one. She had no answer for that.

You know what State of Oklahoma? You can keep my $79 refund this year. Spend it on a bridge or something.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:07:07 am by Ibanez » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 05:14:27 pm »

Wait, what? 

I probably have 6 or 12 forms from various mortgages, accounts, or services that don't generate hard copies of the forms.  If they want "the original" can I print out something like:
1001010111101010010101010101001011101000111001010101010101100000101011110111101001001000101010100001000100011101011101000100001110101010101

and just fire that off to the OTC?  Or, I guess, I could file it digitally, that being the original. 

Seriously though - I thought the point of the State encouraging e-filing was that your income/deductions were electronically matched to the withholding and income statement provided by your employer/mortgage provider/whatever.  Discrepancies are then flagged and looked at.  My understanding was that the point was to eliminate dependency and time associated with individuals filing mountains of supporting docs.  Did I misunderstand?

As an aside, can you file via OKTAP?
https://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/Income_Tax/E-File_Options/Free_File/

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:16:35 pm »

Well that’s something to look forward to.  You state the very reason everyone e-files- no more mailing in a bunch of damn paperwork!

I’m in the process of escaping the state but will still have income derived from Oklahoma for the foreseeable future, so unfortunately I’m not done with the morons at OTC.  I’ve had more than one person explain the OTC as being a vacuum- a complete universal anomaly.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TeeDub
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:04:21 pm »

Wow.   And I was pissed my refund came on a debit card and not a paper check like I wanted.   

I guess everyone wants it "their" way.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:53:43 pm »

I’m in the process of escaping the state but will still have income derived from Oklahoma for the foreseeable future, so unfortunately I’m not done with the morons at OTC. 

My sister says NM has their own set of Maroons.  Soon you will be dealing with two sets.

TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:32:20 pm »

Tried to file both Federal and State taxes and it got bounced back due to the Federal PIN number. Evidently you get a new one each year, this I did not know. Fun part.... If you move you are screwed. They send the PIN number to the address listed on the previous years taxes and according to the IRS they can not be forwarded by the postal dept to the new address. You can not request a new PIN because as the wonderful lass on the phone said, we can't be sure its you. HUH? Also she actually asked why I didn't notify the IRS I had moved. HUH? I did not know it was a requirement by a United States Citizen to inform the IRS when you change addresses. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller.....

My only option is to file via paper this year. What a crock of cow Sh$t.
saintnicster
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:18:04 pm »

Tried to file both Federal and State taxes and it got bounced back due to the Federal PIN number. Evidently you get a new one each year, this I did not know. Fun part.... If you move you are screwed. They send the PIN number to the address listed on the previous years taxes and according to the IRS they can not be forwarded by the postal dept to the new address. You can not request a new PIN because as the wonderful lass on the phone said, we can't be sure its you. HUH? Also she actually asked why I didn't notify the IRS I had moved. HUH? I did not know it was a requirement by a United States Citizen to inform the IRS when you change addresses. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller.....

My only option is to file via paper this year. What a crock of cow Sh$t.
What e-filing service did you use that doesn't store your previous PIN?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 09:42:46 am »

Filing Instructions...
The Oklahoma Tax Commission no longer accepts paper, mag-media, thumb drives or CDs for reporting 1099 data. 1099 data is
required to be submitted electronically on the same schedule and in the same file layout as you currently provide to the IRS. Additional
information for uploading 1099 data is provided on our website (www.tax.ok.gov).
Instructions for OK Form 501: https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/501-16.pdf

That created an issue for many small businesses, who lack the required specialized (and proprietary) software to expert the data in the right format for submission.  Which is dumb, why doesn't the IRS (same format used by OTC) just make an applet to input the data - why do I have to buy special programs and special forms to submit tax information?  You want to help small business, here's a small start:  make it easy to comply with the law. 

I digress, the OTC figured out the issue apparently, it looks like the following decision was made in January:

Am I required to electronically file my 1099s?

We understand submitting 1099s electronically will be difficult for many small businesses. Electronic submission of 1099s is not a requirement. Electronic and paper copies are not required to be filed with The State of Oklahoma for tax year 2016, but W-2 and W-3 submission is still required.
https://www.ok.gov/tax/faqs.html#c551

Maybe that's why individuals need to submit support docs?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:08:12 am »

What e-filing service did you use that doesn't store your previous PIN?

HR Block. But as I said you must use a new PIN each year. I even looked this up and on the IRS website they explain that a new one will be issued each year.

Q19: Do I have to keep this IP PIN and use it again next year?

A19: No. We'll provide you with a new IP PIN every year before the start of the tax season

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-identity-protection-personal-identification-number-ip-pin#q19
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org