A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:04:55 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Promenade Mall  (Read 87689 times)
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2022, 11:46:24 am »

Great stuff^ Seems like OSU has been making a play to gain in the Tulsa area. Would make sense that OU feels the need to respond.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2022, 02:52:16 pm »

Great stuff^ Seems like OSU has been making a play to gain in the Tulsa area. Would make sense that OU feels the need to respond.

Great for Tulsa to have a strong OSU presence downtown and for OU to anchor south midtown.  If they can eventually be a part of a larger redevelopment of Promenade even better.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2022, 07:22:16 pm »

I wonder if OU would takeover the Promenade property, or a portion of it, for their proposed Polytechnic Institute

https://nondoc.com/2022/05/13/ou-polytechnic-institute-planned-tulsa/

I'd like to see TCC open a Midtown campus at Promenade - then turn the Metro campus into a similar set up with OSU. That would allow both campuses to operate essentially as 4 year undergrad universities. Would make financial sense to build up student housing around both too finally.

Austin Community College Highland campus (former Highland Mall) is a great example. https://www.bgkarchitects.com/acc-highland-phase-i
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2022, 09:04:54 pm »

Just an update, I was over in the Paradise Valley Mall area and got a couple of pictures to show the changes since February. The buildings are coming up out of the ground, and more ground work has been done.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2022, 10:19:41 am »

OU-Tulsa seems to have plenty of land to expand on its own property if necessary, including adding parking garages to replace surface lots. Seems really inconvenient to try and connect it across a really busy street. I like the idea of it becoming a TCC campus and letting downtown focus solely on people looking for a four-year degree in collaboration with OSU-Tulsa. Create some housing and transit circuit between the campuses or have This Machine focus on both campuses since they are so close and with pedal assist you can avoid getting too sweaty even in the summer.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2023, 06:37:54 pm »

And Promenade Mall is done. Closing this weekend.

https://www.newson6.com/story/6500e990ff356e0706b242aa/promenade-mall-to-close-tenants-must-leave-by-sunday-according-to-letter-from-owners

Dillards isn't actually part of the mall and is open for now. The Gym in the old Mervyn's is also not impacted and the Oilers are continuing construction in the old Macy's for their Oiler's Ice Center.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2023, 08:14:09 am »

Hmm, does Dillard's stay or do they end up moving? 

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2023, 09:58:39 am »

Hmm, does Dillard's stay or do they end up moving?  

I would think the only place to move to in midtown is Utica
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2023, 10:26:21 am »

I thought I read somewhere that Dillard's actually owns the building they are in.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2023, 11:04:37 am »

I thought I read somewhere that Dillard's actually owns the building they are in.

They do, that's why they are not impacted by the mall closing. The old Anchor stores are actually separate buildings.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2023, 11:51:48 am »

Most malls as I understand deed the anchor buildings separately. My guess is that a full redevelopment will occur within the next decade that demolishes the interior and makes it more of an outdoor shopping center. The Oilers center should be a centerpiece for mixed use, but we all know it'll just be more mattress and cellphone stores.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2023, 12:56:31 pm »

IIRC, the original anchor stores for Southland were Brown Dunkin/Dillard's, JC Penney and Frougs and one other I can't think of. I know TG&Y had a store there, and Clarke's.

They are in the process of tearing down two malls here that have been closed for a few years. One already has new development plans in the works, Metro Center, and the other is Fiesta Mall in Mesa. That area is going the a renewal period along with Mesa in general. There are now only two traditional indoor malls left on opposite sides of the valley.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Promenade.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2023, 01:04:48 pm »

As someone who lives in the neighborhood next to the mall, I have been glad to see more and more spaces being used as something different than shopping. The Hockey rinks will be nice. And really hope what is left of the mall part is bought by someone else and the spaces used.  

Don't think it's really the best spot for shopping unless they pull in some "destination/attraction shopping" of some sort and do extensive remodeling. And yes, would love to see it returned to some sort of outdoor space again.  The sad thing is how the parking garage in front blocks the central mall part from view and creates a depressing and bland, psychological "blockage" along 41st. You really have to have something special to draw people in past that. And right off the top, I don't know what that could be. There is no "need" or demand for more shopping in the area, of any type I can think of, so any shopping would have to be unique or special enough to pull from a wide area. Again, destination shopping. Some services might work "I am looking for.... where is the nearest and best one to me?"  It could make for some unique office space.  An educational facility. Natural History Museum, Modern Art Museum, Meow Wolf, more indoor sports. It has some great infrastructure and potential, just needs a different direction and an owner with creative vision.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2023, 03:33:12 pm »

I still think the best solution is to tear down the mall and garage along 41st.  Keep Dillard's as an east anchor and keep the Oilers Ice Arena as a west anchor and get rid of the rest.  Then extend the street grid through the property - Braden Place from 41st to 43rd with a new light at 41st, 47th St with a new light at Yale and 42nd from Yale to Darlington.  Then sell off and build out the remaining parcels as a mixed-use retail center.  

This is what they did in Westminster, CO with their dead mall - they kept JCPenney as an anchor and tore down the rest of the indoor mall.  Then sold off the parcels around it but with a master plan to achieve the necessary density and mix of uses (housing, hotel, retail, etc).  It's been a huge success and would be a great model for Promenade to follow.

brettakins
Activist

« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2024, 09:33:03 pm »

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/construction-delays-westreet-opening-anticipating-roughly-a-month

TULSA, Okla. — The much-anticipated ice center and entertainment venue called WeStreet Ice Center at Tulsa’s Promenade Mall was first scheduled to open in December but ran into some construction delays.

Progress is still well underway in the former Macy’s location. The ice for the two rinks went in the second week of January. In addition to a new practice space for the Tulsa Oilers, the 140,000 square foot venue will offer public skate, figure skating, curling, lessons and league play—basically anything on ice.

There will also be a full arcade, pro shop, golf and hockey simulators and a 400-seat upscale restaurant and bar named Puck’s—all under one roof.

And speaking of the roof, the renovation of this one is a story Andy Scurto, Tulsa Oilers and WeStreet Ice Center Owner, said engineers are marveling over.

When the facility was a department store, there were several columns supporting the roof. Those columns needed to be removed for an ice rink. In order to do that, Scurto says engineers designed a cutting-edge inverted bowstring truss to keep the roof secure. It is the first of its kind built in the United States.

“Most of the time, you build a building and It’s the same ol’, same ol’,” said Scurto. “This is truly engineering—they had to figure this out.”

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org