A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:19 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Promenade Mall  (Read 86436 times)
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2019, 04:50:48 pm »

If something doesn't happen soon, it'll become the largest QuikTrip in the world...

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2019, 09:15:36 am »

The owner paid millions for this property, it is not going to just shut it down without a buyer lined up so long as it can keep generating some cash flow.  Plus, there are probably lease clauses that tie rent rates to occupancy levels/foot traffic, etc., so getting new tenants in is important to prop up rent rates for existing tenants.

I suspect few if any of the new tenants will be national chains, but the owner is trying to get as much of the mall occupied as possible.  That is a reasonable strategy under the circumstances.  The death of a mall is usually a long slow process.

Yes, obviously they're not going to just shut it down. No one suggested they would. But the way they're going about it shows that they want to suck every penny they can from it as a mall and kick the can down the road as long as possible, keeping a slowly declining "status quo" rather than try any sort of reinvention or innovative approach to bring in more customers.

There's a pretty good chance the market value of the mall and prospective tenants/rent has declined significantly since they bought it in 2013. If the retail collapse gets worse in future years and if Promenade remains looking somewhat bleak/dated and a recession comes, they might end up in a situation where they have to sell it for quite a bargain due to massive waves of closures. I won't feel any remorse for a big NYC firm not willing to invest in making it better.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2019, 09:19:37 am »

If something doesn't happen soon, it'll become the largest QuikTrip in the world...

Like a Bucees? https://www.click2houston.com/community/new-50000-square-foot-buc-ees-location-to-open-monday-in-katy
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2019, 09:28:17 am »

The owner paid millions for this property, it is not going to just shut it down without a buyer lined up so long as it can keep generating some cash flow.

Could be playing the Sears long con.    Go bankrupt and sell the property off cheap to the CEO.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2019, 10:12:35 am »

I suspect whatever tenants are replacing stores like Charlotte Russe and American Eagle are pop-ups and not chains, though I could be wrong.  None of the chains seem to be wanting to expand in malls at the moment...or anytime in the near future.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2019, 10:27:27 am »

"Everything's bigger in Texas!"

Some people I know on a couple of other forums actually plan their trips so they can stop at one of their locations.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:32 pm »

Some people I know on a couple of other forums actually plan their trips so they can stop at one of their locations.

Interesting places and perfect consumerism concept for middle America. Huge and full of quite a few good food options but not convenient in any way. The inside is about the size of a Reasors or maybe larger and a huge walk from some of the pumps to inside. It does have a good local selection of foods so easy to shop for that.

The place is like someone making a giant caricature of a gas station. Like someone drunkenly thought this up as a joke but then made it and it actually worked so they kept making them bigger to see how inconvenient they can make them and keep people coming back. It's like everything wrong and "right" about the US in one place. It's hard to celebrate such brash car-centric developments, but doesn't seem any worse than having 100 nasty crime-ridden shell gas stations in any given city. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2019, 04:45:52 pm »

but doesn't seem any worse than having 100 nasty crime-ridden shell gas stations in any given city. 

In that case:

"I'll take Buc-ee's for $100 Alex!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2019, 09:56:27 am »

Victoria's Secret has left the building
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2019, 12:05:49 pm »

To add further insult, a water pipe in the old Macy's froze and busted.

The owner needs a serious rethink of what this mall is and should be going forward.  Repopulating the spaces of vacated chain stores with a few local stores with little to no following or name recognition is not going to slow the slide.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:46 pm »

The owner needs a serious rethink of what this mall is and should be going forward.  Repopulating the spaces of vacated chain stores with a few local stores with little to no following or name recognition is not going to slow the slide.

To add even further insult, Charlotte Russe is shutting down all stores (Tulsa locations at Promenade & Woodland Hills):

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/charlotte-russe-to-close-all-stores-including-tulsa-locations/article_c4e141ad-947b-5194-8bf9-7b91b3dcd7e5.html
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2019, 12:17:20 pm »

I thought that picture was a photo-shopped joke at first. I actually saw the one under construction in Melissa, TX this last weekend (on HW 75), and good gracious. It's as ridiculous looking in person as it is from an aerial photo.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2019, 12:19:45 pm »

I agree. It is interesting how we have been discussing this inevitable collapse of Promenade for years and yet they (seemingly) haven't been very proactive and there's still a massive new retail mall (reportedly) in the works in Jenks. They really need a bold new plan and leadership that will bite the bullet and realize the Promenade format of mediocre experience and dwindling customer base is not sustainable and that online will take even more of the pie in the future. Time to fully repurpose a la Eastland. The best time would've been when it was glaringly obvious to us on here, but the second best time is after years and years of massive reputation hits, closures and slow decline.

This decline is like how the guy in the Hemmingway novel went bankrupt: Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.

The retailers who have somewhere to go are going to start leaving or exploring options. Bigger chains are going to ask for discounts to not leave citing lower sales. There's still ~60 places at Promenade so still in the "gradual" phase, but the quality of the tenants is starting to read like a discount mall lineup.

5.99 or Less
228Abby's Jewelry
103American Eagle Outfitters
Animal Rides
231Artisan Life Photography
102Auntie Anne's® Hand-Rolled Soft Pretzels
101Bath & Body Works
115Blue Mist
129Buckle
124Charlotte Russe
210Chinese Gourmet Express
AnchorDillard's
Diva Style Warehouse
152El Chico
147Eye Exams by Dr. Rozell
125Finish Line
204Foot Locker
223FootAction USA
227Game Stop
111Helzberg Diamonds
121Hibbett Sports
126Hot Topic
209It's Greek to Me
205J's Hallmark
AnchorJCPenney
Anchor LLJCPenney Portrait Studio
Anchor LLJCPenney Styling Salon
K5Jazei's Cafe
Jazei's Home Decor
127Journeys
202BJourneys Kidz
150Kay Jewelers
242Kids Against Hunger
201Kids Foot Locker
117La Biotique
108La Fleur Nails and Day Spa
148LensCrafters
146Les Parfums
218Lids
Medicare Supplement Store
My Church Walk of Faith
111Nail Studio
K3Nut Hut
211Pholicious
240Quick Fit Alterations
250Romancing the Stone
Upper Level North EntranceSHOE DEPT. ENCORE
Inside JCPSephora
AnchorSky Fitness and Wellbeing
113So Relax
216Steak n' Bake
214Subway
138T-Mobile
Taco Shop
105Things Remembered
Upper Level, West EndThunderkick Fitness
K-4Treasures
143Tulsa Learning Academy
Tulsa Promenade
106Underground Station
K9VIP Perfume Bags and More
104Victoria's Secret
5538Wireless 2 Go
Lower LevelWireless Gizmos
119Zales
220rue21
rebound
City Father

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2019, 12:21:35 pm »

I thought that picture was a photo-shopped joke at first. I actually saw the one under construction in Melissa, TX this last weekend (on HW 75), and good gracious. It's as ridiculous looking in person as it is from an aerial photo.

Ridiculous, but awesome!   I am one of those that will plan my stops to hit a Buckee's.  

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2019, 12:21:52 pm »

Yep! It's their motto on their licenses:

"Texas: Where things are so big, you'll swear to high heaven it's photoshopped!"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org