A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:42:55 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Promenade Mall  (Read 85973 times)
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 08:29:07 am »

But actually, Im surprised the 21st and Yale store is the one on the chopping block given its uniqueness.

“This is the only free-standing store of its type in the nation”  says the Whirled.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/throwbacktulsa/throwback-tulsa-sears-had-everything-when-it-moved-to-the/article_ef525501-c34d-5966-a9d1-5c69d72c061e.html

What is unique about the 21st & Yale Sears?  And what does that quote from the Whirled  even mean?  Free-standing Sears stores are not particularly unusual.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 08:49:07 am »

What is unique about the 21st & Yale Sears?  And what does that quote from the Whirled  even mean?  Free-standing Sears stores are not particularly unusual.

If you'd have seen the store 40 years ago you might understand.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
saintnicster
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 08:55:11 am »

Context is important folks...
“Sears is not in the habit of rebuilding free-standing stores. They prefer to go into the malls,” the store’s manager said in 1998. “But they stayed here because they saw that with the customer base and the community, it would be very helpful to keep a free-standing store.

“This is the only free-standing store of its type in the nation.”
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 10:20:01 am »

I really think one of the better long-term options for Promenade Mall would be an expansion of the OU-Tulsa campus.  Build a skybridge over Yale to connect it to the existing SW corner campus and maybe an automatic circulator that goes back and forth between both campuses.  Perhaps a portion of the mall could be an incubator for startups coming out of the OU-Tulsa programs.  Another portion could be a clinic for the medical school. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 11:02:17 am »

I really think one of the better long-term options for Promenade Mall would be an expansion of the OU-Tulsa campus.  Build a skybridge over Yale to connect it to the existing SW corner campus and maybe an automatic circulator that goes back and forth between both campuses.  Perhaps a portion of the mall could be an incubator for startups coming out of the OU-Tulsa programs.  Another portion could be a clinic for the medical school. 

I like the way you think, a medical complex could be preferable than a shopping mall at this spot.  I could see that actually happening if they didn’t already have such a huge plot of land they can expand on as it is.

Oklahoma City benefits from a medical research park offshoot from the OU Med complex on 10th St. south of the Capitol.  Something like this could create hundreds of really good paying jobs for Tulsa.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 12:12:32 pm »

I like the way you think, a medical complex could be preferable than a shopping mall at this spot.  I could see that actually happening if they didn’t already have such a huge plot of land they can expand on as it is.

Oklahoma City benefits from a medical research park offshoot from the OU Med complex on 10th St. south of the Capitol.  Something like this could create hundreds of really good paying jobs for Tulsa.

May compete with the St. John - Hillcrest medical corridor, but otherwise sounds like a neat idea.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »

I've thought about the possibilities of having OU expand across Yale since the mid-2000's when the mall started going downhill.  Honestly there isn't a real need for a mall this size in between Woodland Hills and Utica Square.  If anything closing Promenade can only strengthen those two shopping centers.  Some kind of medical complex would probably make the most sense.  Or even a combined retail/medical development, there are lots of possibilities.

One successful indoor mall to outdoor shopping center case study is the Villa Italia Mall to Belmar transformation in Lakewood, CO.  They demolished the old dying mall and rebuilt it on the street grid with the big retail stores on the periphery and two "main streets" with the retail shops, a movie theatre and apartments/offices above.  Really well done it's worth seeing if you're ever in the area.  43rd is already a good connector to OU across the street, if you could punch Braden through from 43rd to 41st then you could line it with stores and have an OU medical component along Yale.  The same for 42nd from Yale to Darlington.

TeeDub
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 06:53:06 pm »

One successful indoor mall to outdoor shopping center case study is the Villa Italia Mall to Belmar transformation in Lakewood, CO. 

The Kensington Galleria was a pretty successful conversion of retail to office space as well.    Eastland is trying, but not there yet.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 08:01:06 pm »

And as previously mentioned, I believe the conversion of Southroads Mall directly to the north of the Promenade is a very good example of a successful indoor to outdoor conversion which was an adaptive re-use rather than a nuke and re-build.  It doesn’t really qualify as a “power center” per se, but it seems to serve a good purpose for midtown.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 11:55:23 am »

Here is another mall in Alexandria, VA that is using their anchor Macy's closing as the impetus to tear down the mall and start over as an open air shopping center.  That would be ironic if that is what eventually happens to Promenade since it started out as an open air shopping center..

http://www.chainstoreage.com/article/hughes-buys-macys-will-convert-mall-open-air-center#

Macy’s shuttering of the location gave Hughes the opportunity to act on a rezoning of the site approved by the Alexandria City Council in 2013. In a release, the company said it intends to turn the 1965 vintage mall into a “vibrant, open-air, mixed-use community … designed to create a dynamic urban village.”

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 01:06:37 pm »

Here is another mall in Alexandria, VA that is using their anchor Macy's closing as the impetus to tear down the mall and start over as an open air shopping center.  That would be ironic if that is what eventually happens to Promenade since it started out as an open air shopping center..

http://www.chainstoreage.com/article/hughes-buys-macys-will-convert-mall-open-air-center#

It would be incredibly ironic as Southroads transitioned from an indoor mall to power center after Foley's (Macy's) closed and moved across the street to Promenade
In_Tulsa
Citizen

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 08:12:30 pm »

The rumor mill is spinning again. So I heard that Mathis Brothers is taking over the old Macy’s. I don’t know how accurate this information is. If it does happen I think it would be great for the mall and Mathis Brothers!!
realst8
Citizen

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 09:57:32 pm »

I believe the Mathis deal is dead. My understanding is the property fell out of contract about a week ago and CBRE is again marketing the property.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 07:56:40 am »

The rumor mill is spinning again. So I heard that Mathis Brothers is taking over the old Macy’s. I don’t know how accurate this information is. If it does happen I think it would be great for the mall and Mathis Brothers!!

Oh, yuck..!!   Gag me with a 10 lb turkey!!   Another Mathis place - just what Tulsa needs....NOT !!

Sounds like I may not be the fanboy most Tulsan's are...true.

Bait and switch
Misrepresent
Flat out lie

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 09:09:42 am »

Sounds like I may not be the fanboy most Tulsan's are...true.

Who likes Mathis bros?
I assume it attracts everyone from the sticks that come into town for furniture shoppin'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org