A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:55:27 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Flag Redesign  (Read 15336 times)
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 05:42:41 pm »

I mean...I guess we could take the $5k (or however much this is) they are using and use it to add a curb ramp in? Or we can use it to bring in Jeff Speck's assistant to recite his same old TED talk and bore us all to death about rating city blocks using his patented Jeff Spectometer? And then have to hire Jeff Speck to outline the reasons that we should only ever hire Jeff Speck to do urban design?

lol

What in the blue love is a patented Jeff Spectometer?  And why are you dropping the purportedly metrosexual walkability expert's name so many times, all in one post?

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 08:36:08 am »

If City officials spend time thinking about potential flag re-designs, evaluating them, acting upon them, adopting any resolutions or ordinances about them, etc.  ...  then limited resources will have been spent on a low-priority issue. . . .

Priorities...

I can't believe the mayor wasted his time going to the grand opening of one business.
I can't believe our government wasted time lighting a Christmas tree.
I can't believe the City wastes time with a twitter feed.
I can't believe the City wastes time making XYZ Day proclamations.
I can't believe the City wastes time with...

Seriously, 90% of what City government does could be construed as a waste of time because it isn't a "priority."  If our city gets excited about a flag redesign and our city government spends some time on it... great. 

Here is a guide/opinion on what makes a good city flag, and examples of good and bad:

http://www.citylab.com/design/2011/10/best-and-worst-city-flags/267/

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 11:03:35 am »

I think a simple, thin white flag with the word "TULSA". Then it could be seen from the other side as the word ASLUT.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 11:30:14 am »

Seriously, 90% of what City government does could be construed as a waste of time because it isn't a "priority."  If our city gets excited about a flag redesign and our city government spends some time on it... great. 

Here is a guide/opinion on what makes a good city flag, and examples of good and bad:

http://www.citylab.com/design/2011/10/best-and-worst-city-flags/267/

Thank you for posting your opinion and the good/bad municipal flag link, cannon_fodder!

As I mentioned in my first reply on this topic, about an hour after Nik's initial post, I might submit a flag design.  I haven't decided yet, but I'm considering it.

Before I watched the TED talk video, I looked for examples of municipal flags for a few American and European cities I've enjoyed visiting.  In my opinion, the goodness or badness of a city's flag didn't necessarily correlate to the quality of the city itself (in my small selection set).

The first flag I wanted to see was San Francisco's.  I've been to San Francisco several times, but I'd never noticed the municipal flag.  It's blah.  I agree that a simplified phoenix design, similar to the example shown in the video, would be a great improvement.

The second flag I wanted to see was Portland, Oregon's.  I've been to Portland so many times that I've lost count, and, until yesterday, I'd never paid any attention at all to Portland's flag.  Nik's topic here is what prompted me to look for Portland's flag design.  In my opinion, it's a good design.  It's interesting.  Now, after seeing Portland's flag and evaluating it, my opinion of Portland hasn't changed one iota.

I like San Francisco.  San Francisco's "bad" flag design doesn't change my opinion about the City of San Francisco.

I like Tulsa.  Tulsa's current flag design is okay with me.  I don't love it, but I like it. 

A thin white flag with the word "TULSA" wouldn't meet one of the rules of good flag design.

Priorities...

saintnicster
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 02:20:09 pm »

I think a simple, thin white flag with the word "TULSA". Then it could be seen from the other side as the word ASLUT.

So the TU touchdown flags? Smiley
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 02:58:33 pm »

FWIW Tulsa ranked 43 out 50, OKC is 49th, for flag design.

https://funflagfacts.com/2016/04/15/big-u-s-city-flags-ranked/
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 02:02:47 pm »

Looks like the three finalists will be revealed on the 26th, about 2 months behind the original timeline. Hope that's not a bad sign.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 07:41:28 pm »

Like the bridge, I want unique and iconic. Also needs to be simple.

What I expect is we will get 1-2 things that have little relevance and 1-2 that are obviously "design by committee" and looks like the topper on the 6th and boston fountain.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 10:16:20 pm »

FWIW Tulsa ranked 43 out 50, OKC is 49th, for flag design.

https://funflagfacts.com/2016/04/15/big-u-s-city-flags-ranked/

THAT ranking is actually a thing?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 09:06:58 am »

I worked to come up with a couple of designs and found it to actually be quite challenging doing something that needed to be so simple, have no lettering, few colors, "say something" about Tulsa, etc.

So I am hoping to be surprised when I see the designs and go "Oh, of course, why didn't I think of that!"

I wish I had a way of sharing pictures on here for I would show you lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org