A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:05:05 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Flag Redesign  (Read 15333 times)
Nik
Philanthropist

« on: December 21, 2016, 11:15:56 am »

I can't believe there isn't a thread for this already. A couple people launched an effort to redesign the City of Tulsa flag. The current flag is simply the town seal on a white background.

http://www.tulsaflag.com

They went through a first phase where people could fill out a survey of what they felt defined Tulsa. Now, they are onto the submission phase. You can submit your own flag ideas, from rough sketches on a napkin to final designs, through the end of January.

The inspiration for this effort came from a TED talk which used the existing Tulsa flag as an example of a bad flag: https://www.ted.com/talks/roman_mars_why_city_flags_may_be_the_worst_designed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 12:18:44 pm »

Thanks for the links, Nik.

I might submit a design, but Tulsa's current flag design doesn't bother me as it is.  If Tulsa wants to be known as a true world-class city, then local officials will concentrate their efforts and limited resources on excellent street and sidewalk design.  What's really important is the design of Tulsa's public infrastructure, not the design of its municipal flag.

Priorities...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 12:32:37 pm »

Amsterdam !!!

Now I am inspired to make my own....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 01:04:05 pm »

I might submit a design, but Tulsa's current flag design doesn't bother me as it is.  If Tulsa wants to be known as a true world-class city, then local officials will concentrate their efforts and limited resources on excellent street and sidewalk design.  What's really important is the design of Tulsa's public infrastructure, not the design of its municipal flag.

Priorities...

Agreed on priorities.  However, it doesn’t appear there is any cost to the COT for this.  It appears to be an independent project so I would assume any re-badging by the city is purely optional.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 01:43:52 pm »

These guys have made a pitch to the City. The last Mayor was not particularly supportive.

They hope for great designs.

https://www.facebook.com/flagtulsa/

Power is nothing till you use it.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 01:56:14 pm »

Priorities...

If you have time, watch the TED talk. It's less than 20 minutes. Basically, they said that having a quality flag invokes civic pride that can unique people towards these larger goals like infrastructure.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 02:06:05 pm »

If you have time, watch the TED talk. It's less than 20 minutes. Basically, they said that having a quality flag invokes civic pride that can unique people towards these larger goals like infrastructure.

Watched it.  Very good.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 02:09:38 pm »

These guys have made a pitch to the City. The last Mayor was not particularly supportive.

The last Mayor was a knucklehead.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 02:19:28 pm »

If City officials spend time thinking about potential flag re-designs, evaluating them, acting upon them, adopting any resolutions or ordinances about them, etc.  ...  then limited resources will have been spent on a low-priority issue.  Time and effort both equate to costs, Conan.

I hope for great urban designs.  Tulsa can have the most graphically exciting and beautiful flag in the world, but if it's flying above a poorly designed cityscape, then it won't do much to change things for the better.

I'm not buying the "civic pride that can unique people towards these larger goals" theory, based on the quality of a municipal flag.  There are all sorts of TED talks.  Jeff Speck's talk about walkability comes to mind.  Somehow, I think Tulsans will ignore Speck and spend lots of time and energy on re-designing Tulsa's flag, instead.  We'll see.  

Priorities...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:34:19 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 02:34:38 pm »

I'll show off my attempts. I am in no way a graphic designer but that's the beauty of flag design. The design elements are so simple and basic, any one can give it a shot. The designs below I've already submitted (well, at least one color variation). I am in no way hoping to win and I hope by showing my crude attempts, it may spark an idea in somebody else.

Common Design Elements
I tended to use the same colors in most of my designs. I started off trying to use the same blue and brown that is in the existing Tulsa seal. But, 1) those shades made for a very dark flag and 2) brown is rarely used in flag design. So, I swapped out the brown for green (green grass, Green Country, Guthrie Green, take your pick at what this symbolizes) and chose a lighter shade of blue (river - when it has water in it, sky, etc).

Oil Concept

I felt I needed an obligatory design that symbolizes a reference to Tulsa's history as Oil Capital. So, this design with the oil drop in the center with the diagonal split of colors is where I went with it. That being said, I do feel like oil is Tulsa's past and not the future, so I was hesitant to submit this one. If this flag is going to represent Tulsa for the next 25/50+ years, do we still want to this to be how Tulsa is known? I hope not.

Bow & Arrow Concept

I drew inspiration from this design from the statue in front of Gilcrease Museum.

Tornado Concept

In this one, the blue sky and green ground and connected by a triangular tornado. With this design and the next one, I experimented with a different shade of blue. After watching the TED talk, I started picturing these designs not just on a flag but on shirts, decals, even tattoos. Made me think a lighter shade of blue is appropriate, but maybe not.

Center of the Universe Concept

I drew inspiration for this design from the Center of the Universe downtown. While I have been there many times, I forgot about the curled lines around the center. Once I saw that, I thought it would make for a good flag design. The green background was my original design, but again, after thinking about other mediums in which this flag would be displayed and after looking at Chicago and DC's flags, I tried again with a white background. Still not sure which I like best.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:32:30 am by Nik » Logged
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 02:57:44 pm »

Looks like OKC is trying as well. Doesn't look like they've made much progress.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 04:21:25 pm »

Looks like OKC is trying as well. Doesn't look like they've made much progress.

Oh Jeez - now you're calling out the random OKC posters to start trolling Tulsa's flag attempts.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 04:24:13 pm »

Oh Jeez - now you're calling out the random OKC posters to start trolling Tulsa's flag attempts.

Ha! Not my intent! I saw some discussion from last year on OKCTalk about a new flag. I liked some of their designs. It just looks like this website was made by someone that was like "Hey, this is a good idea. I'm going to create a website for it!" With no real attempt to get actual city leaders on board. Looks like those leading Tulsa's effort got that right.
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 04:38:39 pm »

If City officials spend time thinking about potential flag re-designs, evaluating them, acting upon them, adopting any resolutions or ordinances about them, etc.  ...  then limited resources will have been spent on a low-priority issue.  Time and effort both equate to costs, Conan.

I hope for great urban designs.  Tulsa can have the most graphically exciting and beautiful flag in the world, but if it's flying above a poorly designed cityscape, then it won't do much to change things for the better.

I'm not buying the "can unique people towards larger goals" theory, based on the quality of a municipal flag.  There are all sorts of TED talks.  Jeff Speck's talk about walkability comes to mind.  Somehow, I think Tulsans will ignore Speck and spend lots of time and energy on re-designing Tulsa's flag, instead.  We'll see. 

Priorities...

I mean...I guess we could take the $5k (or however much this is) they are using and use it to add a curb ramp in? Or we can use it to bring in Jeff Speck's assistant to recite his same old TED talk and bore us all to death about rating city blocks using his patented Jeff Spectometer? And then have to hire Jeff Speck to outline the reasons that we should only ever hire Jeff Speck to do urban design?

Also, I really like the Bow & Arrow Concept. Though I feel like the colors are really dark, and I think the arrow is going to be hard to replicate. I love the seal and the T that divides it up. I hope that the flag they decide on has that as well.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 05:29:43 pm »

... I hope by showing my crude attempts, it may spark an idea in somebody else.

Oil Concept

I felt I needed an obligatory design that symbolizes a reference to Tulsa's history as Oil Capital. So, this design with the oil drop in the center with the diagonal split of colors is where I went with it...

A crude attempt?  I'd say it's refined, Nik.

That drop could also represent a tear, and the diagonal could represent a trail.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org