A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:16:38 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OKPOP Museum new home  (Read 58373 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2018, 08:17:32 pm »

I like the design of this building.  I like how it will lighten up the end of the street and pull you that direction in the evenings.  The gold will add some color and interest as well. Like how the wood? element will add some warmth, and how that and the gold jut out over the sidewalk for a little shad and protection from rain (I believe a gift shop component will be accessible under the gold part).  And yes, the pergola is part of a deck area that can add a little more feeling of life and festivity (and connectivity) to the street especially when they have events there in the evening along with those at the Cains.

There was of course a lot of talk at the reveal about musicians and that art form, I am really interested in hearing more about movies and visual arts like cartoons (Dick Tracey, Alley Oop, Willie & Joe, and the "Dave" comic strip were/are made by Oklahomans, today the Alley Oop comic strip is made by a couple here in Tulsa).

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 09:37:21 am »

Ahem (cough, cough) constructive criticism.  To their credit, the city has made a lot of progress in the last few years; It just took a while to see that better lighting choices were not necessarily coming from the people selling the electricity.
Also, im very cool with the revival of neon.  No one has really gone overboard with it so thats very encouraging.

Haha.. true it was constructive. I learned quite a lot from your posts like to never buy acorn lights even though I think they look nice visually during the day and about how much needless light pollution we have. Seeing your posts about proper lighting, which is far cheaper long-term, definitely opened my eyes to how wasteful the city is by pinching pennies up front (and even developers of projects downtown). 

As far as I can tell the newer blue light posts on the I-244 bridge over the river to west Tulsa from downtown look nice and so do the Blue Dome/Arts District lights. They look like far better lighting options than what we have had in the past with the standard blue halogen or orange blur machines. 

Your criticisms were on point. I was mostly saying this board in general doesn't seem very negative in general, more just apt criticism where it is due (Like the first-draft of CVS at 15th and Lewis or Turkey Mountain Mall fiasco).
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:22 am »

Haha.. true it was constructive. I learned quite a lot from your posts like to never buy acorn lights even though I think they look nice visually during the day and about how much needless light pollution we have. Seeing your posts about proper lighting, which is far cheaper long-term, definitely opened my eyes to how wasteful the city is by pinching pennies up front (and even developers of projects downtown). 

As far as I can tell the newer blue light posts on the I-244 bridge over the river to west Tulsa from downtown look nice and so do the Blue Dome/Arts District lights. They look like far better lighting options than what we have had in the past with the standard blue halogen or orange blur machines. 

Your criticisms were on point. I was mostly saying this board in general doesn't seem very negative in general, more just apt criticism where it is due (Like the first-draft of CVS at 15th and Lewis or Turkey Mountain Mall fiasco).

But you can never say never.  Acorns can be made to be good lights as long as we understand they are decorative fixtures and not actual streetlights (the trick is to reduce intensity to about 1000 Lumens and use real shielded fixtures to light the streets).  Treat them like lighted signs, in a way.
...and as much as we dislike the orange sodium lights, the amber color turned out to be much more eye-friendly than the welding-torch blue of early LEDs... but we have another thread for that.  Cool

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2018, 11:57:59 am »

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/grit-and-glitz-tulsa-gets-its-first-look-okpop

Elevations are interesting, pretty cool actually. Curious to what the west facade looking from Boulder is going to look like. I haven't watched the release video yet, but does the site occupy the entire northern part of that block between Boulder and Main? or just the lot that looks "newer"? If it's the newer part of that plot, because the building indicates it only extends to about the back side of the inner circle, then I am curious if there are future plans for "behind" the building.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2018, 01:53:25 pm »

I assume that's not the final sign design?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2018, 10:32:36 am »

What I'm really going to like is all the people crowding the sidewalks but that there are still all those open parking spaces. 

There must be an amazing transportation plan coming soon.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2019, 09:39:49 am »

Tulsa's Oklahoma Museum of Popular Culture to start construction in the fall

https://www.tulsaworld.com/entertainment/tulsa-s-oklahoma-museum-of-popular-culture-starts-construction-in/collection_11ab7fa8-1022-5049-b7f5-02a262074648.html#4

New Slang
Tourist

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2019, 09:47:03 am »

If this is anything close to the pop culture museum in Seattle, we are in for a treat.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2019, 12:53:47 pm »

OKPOP set to break ground on state's pop culture museum next month in downtown Tulsa

The Oklahoma Museum of Popular Culture, also known as OKPOP, will officially break ground in October across the street from Cain's Ballroom, officials announced on Thursday.  The museum, which will house collections of Oklahoma creative artists from music, movies, TV and more, will have a groundbreaking ceremony at 10 a.m. Oct. 23, which Gov. Kevin Stitt, other officials and special guests will attend.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/okpop-set-to-break-ground-on-state-s-pop-culture/article_e4642f02-5487-52c0-98b6-6b76b2bd087d.html
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2019, 01:31:56 pm »

OKPOP set to break ground on state's pop culture museum next month in downtown Tulsa

The Oklahoma Museum of Popular Culture, also known as OKPOP, will officially break ground in October across the street from Cain's Ballroom, officials announced on Thursday.  The museum, which will house collections of Oklahoma creative artists from music, movies, TV and more, will have a groundbreaking ceremony at 10 a.m. Oct. 23, which Gov. Kevin Stitt, other officials and special guests will attend.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/okpop-set-to-break-ground-on-state-s-pop-culture/article_e4642f02-5487-52c0-98b6-6b76b2bd087d.html

Finally!
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2019, 03:10:22 pm »

Indeed - long over due.  This will be a game changer for Brady/Tulsa Arts District.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2019, 03:37:04 pm »

Indeed - long over due.  This will be a game changer for Brady/Tulsa Arts District.

This along with the Bob Dylan Archive which will complete the full-Block buildout of AHHA/Philbrook Downtown.  I’m still hearing they are finalizing the design and will start construction sometime in 2020.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2019, 03:50:07 pm »

I believe OKPOP, Cain’s and Dylan/Guthrie Centers will create an entertainment/celebration triangle that will be a huge national draw for Tulsa that will be unique and unmatched anywhere. 
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2019, 04:14:19 pm »

I don't know about national draw, but it will definitely give downtown some critical mass. Time to start some real tourism programs to really market all the stuff we have. I know we already do a bit, but this + Bob Dylan will give us enough punching weight to actually attract some people. It will also make it a lot easier to attract major events. Lots of momentum here for sure.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2019, 02:32:37 pm »

I don't know about national draw, but it will definitely give downtown some critical mass. Time to start some real tourism programs to really market all the stuff we have. I know we already do a bit, but this + Bob Dylan will give us enough punching weight to actually attract some people. It will also make it a lot easier to attract major events. Lots of momentum here for sure.

It should be a regional draw and some music enthusiasts (especially of folk) will take notice. A lot of downtowns have similar clusters of art and history. It is all in how it is maintained and built on. Memphis has a far more storied musical past and they have similar array of things in their downtown. It's somewhat of a tourist draw, but probably mostly regional and didn't seem like the museums were too crazy busy when I went. I don't think Tulsa could even get to that level of perception of musical prominence. Far more know about BB King and blues in Memphis than know about Leon Russell or the "Tulsa Sound". Tulsa certainly won't ever be up there near Nashville.

If Tulsa gets to the level of Memphis, it would need to be based on the future, not anything to date. Hard (impossible) to replicate having Sun Studios with Elvis, Johnny Cash and Orbison going through. That was an era that was a 1-time chance for certain places and people and things just won't ever have that old legendary Americana feel to them again. Memphis has capitalized on it and Nashville too. Tulsa is doing their best to capture some of that history and celebrate it as we should, but sadly it won't excite the vast majority of people outside of Oklahoma.

Go visit the Texas History museum in Austin (or don't, just an example). Texas history is interesting and Texans have done a lot of really cool things (as you'd expect from one of the wealthiest places on earth which has 20+million people), but it's not that exciting as an outsider. It's just sort of: of course someone somewhere had to have invented/done those things... good for ya'll. I'm sure Texans beam with pride as they visit, but it reminds me of how Borat jokes that Kazakhstan is the greatest exporter of potassium.

I think Tulsans will be really proud of the OKPop and it looks like it'll be phenomenal and be amazing across the street from Cain's to draw in those going to concerts. I'd be surprised if it's a national or stand-alone tourist draw. There's so many cool things to see all over the country and world. If it is, that would be amazing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org