A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:51:22 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OKPOP Museum new home  (Read 58363 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 02:49:33 pm »

Add the BOK Center to all the things you listed and we drastically increase the likelihood that someone coming to town for a show decides to stay for a long weekend.  Add it all up and we keep events like the Arabian Horse show and BMX Nationals and we start adding to the list.  Most Tulsan's don't realize how easy it is becoming to sell Tulsa.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 04:11:56 pm »

Add the BOK Center to all the things you listed and we drastically increase the likelihood that someone coming to town for a show decides to stay for a long weekend.  Add it all up and we keep events like the Arabian Horse show and BMX Nationals and we start adding to the list.  Most Tulsan's don't realize how easy it is becoming to sell Tulsa.

We started out 15-20 years ago with a fairly decent hot-fudge sundae of attractions.  These new things are adding the whipped cream and cherry on top!

Now if we can get more Californian's to bring the nutz...!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 07:09:37 pm »

That's exactly right - it's about creating an ecosystem of attractions, which together are more than the sum of their parts.  I think that programming beyond the pure museum component is absolutely key to OKPOP's success - imagine performances, a music school, fantastic acts from genres that may not sell out stadiums (Delta blues, folk, gospel, bluegrass, Americana), writing workshops, etc.  A place where up and coming talent can be nurtured and get their work out there outside of bars.

GKFF is heavily involved in OKPOP.  So far they have killed it on programming, from the Guthrie Green to the various other museums in the Brady District, and I think they fully recognize that the museum has to have a steady stream of events to succeed.  I have a lot of hope. 

PLUS we'll start to get a music district.  OKPOP, Cain's, Soundpony, Yeti, all right there and you start to get one of those destinations where you don't need to plan in advance to expect quality entertainment.  You just show up and there will be at least one good show going on. 

Anyway I'm really excited about this!

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 08:30:55 pm »

That's exactly right - it's about creating an ecosystem of attractions, which together are more than the sum of their parts.  I think that programming beyond the pure museum component is absolutely key to OKPOP's success - imagine performances, a music school, fantastic acts from genres that may not sell out stadiums (Delta blues, folk, gospel, bluegrass, Americana), writing workshops, etc.  A place where up and coming talent can be nurtured and get their work out there outside of bars.

GKFF is heavily involved in OKPOP.  So far they have killed it on programming, from the Guthrie Green to the various other museums in the Brady District, and I think they fully recognize that the museum has to have a steady stream of events to succeed.  I have a lot of hope. 

PLUS we'll start to get a music district.  OKPOP, Cain's, Soundpony, Yeti, all right there and you start to get one of those destinations where you don't need to plan in advance to expect quality entertainment.  You just show up and there will be at least one good show going on. 

Anyway I'm really excited about this!

You forgot The Brady Theater and I would say the Brady District is already there.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 11:42:34 am »

I think this location is better than the previous sites mainly because it has more potential to drive additional new development around it.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 10:33:21 am »

OKPOP museum clears hurdle to build in Tulsa with $25 million in bonds approved

State bond council OKs $25 million in financing for facility in Brady Arts District

Efforts to build a museum of popular culture in downtown Tulsa cleared another hurdle on Thursday.

The state Council of Bond Oversight approved the sale of $25 million in bonds to build the four-story facility across from Cain’s Ballroom in the Brady Arts District.

“This is the culmination of one more very significant step toward the ultimate creation of this facility,” said Mike Neal, president and CEO of the Tulsa Regional Chamber.

The Oklahoma Museum of Pop Culture, known as the OKPOP, will be just south of Interstate 244 at the corner of Main and Easton streets. The facility is expected to open in the spring of 2020, said Bob Blackburn, executive director of the Oklahoma Historical Society.

“I have high hopes this will be a very successful museum,” he said.

Construction is expected to begin in 2018 and take a year. It will take another six to eight months to move in the collections, Blackburn said.

Officials hope to privately raise another $15 million or more to support the facility, he said.

The museum will showcase actors, singers, artists, bands and writers, among others. It will highlight the “history of creativity by those who can make a living at it,” Blackburn said.

The museum will have space for interactive exhibits, educational programming, administration offices, and archival and collection storage.

The facility will be between 40,000 and 45,000 square feet and have a two-story, 100-space underground parking garage, which will generate revenue, Blackburn said.

The city of Tulsa is a partner in the parking facility and has pledged more than $2 million toward the garage, he said.

A rooftop feature is also part of the museum’s design, Blackburn said.

Mayor G.T. Bynum praised the concept of OKPOP.

“This museum is important not just because it honors our heritage, but more importantly because it will inspire the next generation of creative Oklahomans in a global economy that increasingly rewards creative thinking,” he said. “The state of Oklahoma’s commitment is significant and, in combination with both donor support and local government assistance, will help build a transformative destination for Oklahomans.”

Legislation authorizing the museum was passed and signed in 2015 after several failed attempts.

“We are ready to go,” Blackburn said.

Neal said the facility will attract visitors, new businesses and help create jobs.

Next week, a delegation will travel to Los Angeles and Seattle to look at similar facilities and learn more about generating revenue. The delegation will host a dinner for various Hollywood-based Oklahomans, seeking to get their input and recruit others to participate in the project, Blackburn said.

A trip to the East Coast will be made in the fall, he said.

“We are in the vision-seeking phase of it,” Blackburn said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/okpop-museum-clears-hurdle-to-build-in-tulsa-with-million/article_01b1f823-3470-50ce-808c-20a358453fac.html
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »

Groundbreaking anticipated this fall with an opening in 2020.  This is the empty lot across from Cain's.  Interested to see the design which will be unveiled on July 16.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/scenelatest/okpop-to-reveal-museum-s-new-look-surprising-hours-groundbreaking/article_15cf8248-a1a4-5d88-a68d-de1feaf736be.html

hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 02:20:50 pm »

I feel like there was a better location for that museum. Like maybe the giant parking lot on the corner of Main and Cameron and not right by the highway. Pretty soon places that made the neighborhood cool aren't going to be able to stay-like Soundpony.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 08:57:11 pm »

I feel like there was a better location for that museum. Like maybe the giant parking lot on the corner of Main and Cameron and not right by the highway. Pretty soon places that made the neighborhood cool aren't going to be able to stay-like Soundpony.

I like that it will offer another attraction next to Cain’s.  I believe they also want to include structured parking which can also be used for shows.

I believe Main & Cameron is the next area to develop.  That will be a huge hole filled along Main.  I wish the city would abandon any plans for a parking garage there and build a larger one for the district on the BOK lot on Archer instead.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 09:16:30 am »

They tried several locations and considered quite a few others. They were originally going to put it in the BOK parking lot across from AHHA. That would've been a pretty good use of that lot, but would've made it a bit out of the way for a lot of the people that might want to visit it the most: Those going to shows in the district.

Being across from Cain's, with visibility from the highway is the ideal spot for it. People using the garage for shows will see how cool it is up close. They announced they'll be open late to take advantage of show-attendees. I'm guessing that wouldn't make as much sense at the previous location. I don't think Main and Cameron was ever a real possibility for them but that could've been neat also.

They'll reveal the official plans of the museum Monday:

https://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/scenelatest/okpop-to-reveal-museum-s-new-look-surprising-hours-groundbreaking/article_15cf8248-a1a4-5d88-a68d-de1feaf736be.html
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 09:39:25 am »

D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 12:52:13 pm »

Were there other renderings provided?

I'm starting to become more and more of a fan of this Lilly Architecture group. Cool, well thought out stuff. I'm sure this design will catch a lot of flack from Tulsans, but the city needs more unique and significant architectural points around the city. With this and the Bob Dylan Archives, we've started to lay a pretty decent foundation for that!
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 01:43:36 pm »

<snip>I'm sure this design will catch a lot of flack from Tulsans, but the city needs more unique and significant architectural points around the city. <snip>

Why do you think that? I think it will be wholly embraced. Why wouldn't it?
Herb Albert
Citizen

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 02:04:56 pm »

No other renderings were shown today. Here is a link to the recording of the reveal should you want to give it a listen.

http://www.newson6.com/story/38650786/what-tulsas-ok-pop-museum-will-look-like-to-be-unveiled-today
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 02:12:32 pm »

Why do you think that? I think it will be wholly embraced. Why wouldn't it?

Perhaps I just read too many comments in the TW, but it seems that whenever something "different" gets built ( think BOK center), it's the negative responses that stick. I believe the folks that know that it's a good thing don't feel the need to defend it. I'm sure this building will be fully embraced by the city eventually, I just have to look past the negative responses. It's part of the problem of being on the outside, down here in Dallas, looking in!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org