A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:21:58 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost to Connect to Sewer Line to a property.  (Read 1591 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: July 06, 2023, 04:30:39 pm »

Asking the hive mind out there. I am looking at a property in North Tulsa near the Gilcrease Expressway. The closest sewer line is just across a main arterial street.  Otherwise there is no sewer on the property.

Wondering "big round numbers" approximately what it might cost to get a line over to the property I am considering?

Any guesses?

Who would I even contact to get information about this?

Wanting to finally buy some property to build my dream DECOPOLIS and the Tulsa Art Deco Museum on, so not sure if a septic system would be the best/most affordable option, but looking into that scenario as well. Beautiful property I am looking at, but just want to make sure I can make it work before taking the leap.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 05:15:10 pm »

If it requires going under an arterial street it may not be possible. Your best bet would be to start with the city water and sewer department to see if it's even permittable. It would depend on what utilities might also be located under the street.

It could be possible to directional bore under the street to save the cost of tearing up the pavement. Here is a link with some general info but that als depends on if there are any utilities under the street or along the ROW on either side.

https://homeguide.com/costs/directional-boring-cost
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 07:24:02 pm »

If it requires going under an arterial street it may not be possible. Your best bet would be to start with the city water and sewer department to see if it's even permittable. It would depend on what utilities might also be located under the street.

It could be possible to directional bore under the street to save the cost of tearing up the pavement. Here is a link with some general info but that als depends on if there are any utilities under the street or along the ROW on either side.

https://homeguide.com/costs/directional-boring-cost

Thanks for the info, will contact the city water and sewer department. From what I can tell it looks like there are no other utilities under the street. The waterline looks like it is on the other side of a "country road" that is barely paved on a different side of the property.

The thing is this land is in the new Comprehensive plan as "Town Square" commercial/retail right off a highway and main road so you would think they would want to permit city water and sewer being able to get to it! If I were a "Cool" out of town store they wanted, they would be giving me tax breaks and putting in all the infrastructure for me lol. But since I am just a poor little, cool local store...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 07:27:46 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 08:43:34 pm »

Thanks for the info, will contact the city water and sewer department. From what I can tell it looks like there are no other utilities under the street. The waterline looks like it is on the other side of a "country road" that is barely paved on a different side of the property.

The thing is this land is in the new Comprehensive plan as "Town Square" commercial/retail right off a highway and main road so you would think they would want to permit city water and sewer being able to get to it! If I were a "Cool" out of town store they wanted, they would be giving me tax breaks and putting in all the infrastructure for me lol. But since I am just a poor little, cool local store...

Just guessing, with this being a new commercial area they may have plans in the works for water and sewer on both sides of the street and if it works in with your time frame you might be able to avoid some of the costs. At least after talking to the city you will have a better idea of what's there and what changes they may be making.

Best of luck to you on your new project.
kvanover
Citizen

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 07:56:32 am »

The Atlas link below may be helpful.  The first thing I would suggest is going to see Development Services on the 4th floor of City Hall.  Thay can get the ball rolling on identifying the obstacles to servicing the site with both water and sewer along with zoning and other entitlements.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=8d58c13e319f4ac7ad9b19ae4ccc0cc0

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 09:04:47 pm »

The Atlas link below may be helpful.  The first thing I would suggest is going to see Development Services on the 4th floor of City Hall.  Thay can get the ball rolling on identifying the obstacles to servicing the site with both water and sewer along with zoning and other entitlements.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=8d58c13e319f4ac7ad9b19ae4ccc0cc0

Yes, I have used that map and its very helpful.  And thanks for the City Hall advice. I will give it a try!

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 10:59:15 pm »

I am a civil engineer and deal with these issues every day. Sounds like something that won't be cheap. If the sewer isn't on your side of the street, adding a service connection across an arterial street would be beyond expensive - they probably wouldn't allow it. You'd have to extend an 8" main over and connect your service to that. Construction of the stub might cost in excess of $100,000. The mobilization fees alone to get a contractor out there are in the tens of thousands, and the structures and pipe themselves are thousands a piece, and that's before you get into labor and backfill materials. City staff will have more info. Usually hard to get something like this off the ground without a significant commercial entity involved.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 09:55:09 am »

If you feel septic is the best way, check NOW on how large the piece of land has to be.  Wagoner County says they generally don't allow on anything less than 1 acre - If this is Tulsa County, more likely to be complicated.   Osage County may be easier to work with.

Generally, State requirements will apply mostly.  See link.

Page 37 shows lot size requirements.

Septic is always cheaper than city sewer.  And if you have 2 1/2 acres or more, a lagoon is hands down the least expensive and lowest ongoing maintenance cost!  And when they work correctly, no, they don't smell.  It just takes up a lot of room!

https://www.deq.ok.gov/wp-content/uploads/deqmainresources/641.pdf

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 08:25:48 pm »

If you feel septic is the best way, check NOW on how large the piece of land has to be.  Wagoner County says they generally don't allow on anything less than 1 acre - If this is Tulsa County, more likely to be complicated.   Osage County may be easier to work with.

Generally, State requirements will apply mostly.  See link.

Page 37 shows lot size requirements.

Septic is always cheaper than city sewer.  And if you have 2 1/2 acres or more, a lagoon is hands down the least expensive and lowest ongoing maintenance cost!  And when they work correctly, no, they don't smell.  It just takes up a lot of room!

https://www.deq.ok.gov/wp-content/uploads/deqmainresources/641.pdf

Am looking at 12+ acres and would need something that could handle, hopefully, several hundred people a day on good days.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 08:47:39 pm »

I am a civil engineer and deal with these issues every day. Sounds like something that won't be cheap. If the sewer isn't on your side of the street, adding a service connection across an arterial street would be beyond expensive - they probably wouldn't allow it. You'd have to extend an 8" main over and connect your service to that. Construction of the stub might cost in excess of $100,000. The mobilization fees alone to get a contractor out there are in the tens of thousands, and the structures and pipe themselves are thousands a piece, and that's before you get into labor and backfill materials. City staff will have more info. Usually hard to get something like this off the ground without a significant commercial entity involved.

I was preparing in my mind that it could be $100,000 or more.  But thing is, the lot that I was looking at nearby the current DECOPOLIS to do a "squashed in" version of what I would like to do would start at $800,000 and go up if I wanted a bit more for extra parking....for an empty lot.  In town next to a main arterial that could be "touristy" is comparatively expensive if you want a decent sized spot.  But what I am looking at over there would be around $300,000 for just over 12 acres.  So adding another hundred thousand or two, would still leave me at least a bit in my budget to start building something lol.

Such a shame, if I were a "cool" out of town store, the city would likely fall all over themselves to pay for infrastructure and or do a TIF.  But even though I know that what I want to do would be better than anything coming in from somewhere else (and I get asked all the time to build a DECOPOLIS in other cities and states) but the "powers that be" here couldn't give a crap about what I can do. It's so frustrating lol. I have even heard of cities that have GIVEN for free, to artists like me, property to create a magical attraction. Here they could care less, I will probably have to beg, pester, fight and weasel my way into to getting the permits and access to build ,with my own money, the big DECOPOLIS idea and the Tulsa Art Deco Museum that I would like to eventually gift to the people of Tulsa. I wish they would be more supportive of local people who could create wonderful things, and not spend so much time and effort, and money, trying to get in the latest cool thing from somewhere else. I think a lot of people would say that DECOPOLIS IS a cool thing and I really want to show this city what I can REALLY do lol.  But I suppose lots of artists think that. But I like to think I have at least proven it to some small extent.

However.... looking at the utilities map, there is a bit of the sewer line that crosses onto my side of the Gilcrease Expressway, but that is in the area reserved for the future widening of the expressway. It may be possible to link in there, but I just wonder what would happen if they widened the expressway in the future and my sewer line was under there lol.  

The area where I am looking is proposed as commercial/Town square in the long range comprehensive plan. It would seem to me if you put in the highway, that you would also make utilities more readily available to help spur development. I am willing to take the first jump into the area to get things started, but don't have huge deep pockets that the bigger developers (who don't seem interested) do. Come on city, help out us little guys a bit here lol.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 08:49:56 pm by TheArtist » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2023, 11:09:42 am »

Am looking at 12+ acres and would need something that could handle, hopefully, several hundred people a day on good days.

This might help:

REQUIREMENTS FOR A PRIVATE SEWAGE DISPOSAL SYSTEM WHEN THE PROPERTY IS NOT SERVED WITH SANITARY SEWER (Tulsa)

Permits for septic tank installations are issued through the Tulsa City/County Health Department,
Environmental Protection (HDEP). A soil percolation test must be performed or obtained from the
Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The percolation test can be performed by DEQ, a
Professional Engineer, or a Registered Professional Land Surveyor. DEQ will furnish you a design layout of
your sewage system. A new residence, structure or addition must be staked out prior to the HDEP final
field inspection. The following information needs to be included on the site plans.

1. Plumbing stub out, leading from the house to the septic tank.
2. Directional slope of the lot.
3. Structural landscaping, i.e., large trees, retaining walls, etc.
4. Any structures such as swimming pools, tennis courts, gazebos, driveways, and patios.
5. Number of proposed and/or existing bedrooms in the residence.
6. Automatic lawn irrigation systems.
7. Indicate if any part of the lot is in a flood sensitive area.
8. Street address and legal description of the construction site.
9. The builder's name, mailing address, and telephone number.

The following information must be included with the application.
1. A copy of result of the percolation test.
2. A copy of the final inspection on current systems.
These two items must be obtained from DEQ and brought to the Permit Center at the time of
application. These may be obtained at their office at 3105 E Skelly Dr, Suite 200 between the hours of
8:00 am and 4:30 pm (the inspectors are in the offices only from 8:00 am to 9:00 am). Any questions to
DEQ can be directed to 293-1600 during the hours above.
These two items must also be presented to the Tulsa City/County Health Department, Environmental
Protection (HDEP) for approval.
https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/10918/residential2019.pdf

https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/basic-septic-system-rules-for-oklahoma.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org