A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:22:44 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sim City Tulsa (Google Earth Time Lapse!)  (Read 11968 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: December 13, 2016, 12:27:35 pm »

https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/#v=36.15252,-95.87801,9.467,latLng&t=1.73

I readily admit to being a nerd.  But I found this awesome.  From 1984 to 2016, time lapse of Tulsa.  

There is a lot going on, so focus on one section at a time.  Watch the Creek Turnpike pop into being.  The area of Bass Pro and south.  Tulsa Hills. Jenks goes from small town to a collection of subdivisions. Strips of Highway 11 pop up ever couple of years. South Tulsa basically fills in. I-44 gets widened. Industry booms at the Port of Catoosa. Owasso sprawls.

Other cities are interesting too, Vegas grows like a tumor!
https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/#v=36.16994,-115.13983,10,latLng&t=0.81

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:42:20 am by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:08:52 pm »

See also

http://historicaerials.com/map/
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »

https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/#v=41.60054,-93.60911,10.213,latLng&t=2.44

I readily admit to being a nerd.  But I found this awesome.  From 1984 to 2016, time lapse of Tulsa. 

There is a lot going on, so focus on one section at a time.  Watch the Creek Turnpike pop into being.  The area of Bass Pro and south.  Tulsa Hills. Jenks goes from small town to a collection of subdivisions. Strips of Highway 11 pop up ever couple of years. South Tulsa basically fills in. I-44 gets widened. Industry booms at the Port of Catoosa. Owasso sprawls.

Other cities are interesting too, Vegas grows like a tumor!
https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/#v=41.60054,-93.60911,10.213,latLng&t=2.44

I couldn’t figure out why the Arkansas River was flowing funny through Tulsa until I realized your link opened over Des Moines!

Interesting to note though that it appears they also had a eastern major road develop there as well.  It’s a trip looking at Tulsa and in 1990, there’s nothing there, suddenly the scar from the Creek Turnpike is there in 1991.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 03:22:48 pm »

I couldn’t figure out why the Arkansas River was flowing funny through Tulsa until I realized your link opened over Des Moines!

Interesting to note though that it appears they also had a eastern major road develop there as well.  It’s a trip looking at Tulsa and in 1990, there’s nothing there, suddenly the scar from the Creek Turnpike is there in 1991.

That was always so weird for me because the ex and I moved to Houston in mid 1991 and we came back to visit that Christmas and BAM...that thing was done all the way to 44.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:31:24 pm »

That was always so weird for me because the ex and I moved to Houston in mid 1991 and we came back to visit that Christmas and BAM...that thing was done all the way to 44.

And for years 169 dead-ended at 51st.  I remembered thinking how they’d probably never finish that project.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »

In 1901, it seems all roads* led to 21st & Harvard**

* The phrase "all roads" is hyperbole***

** "to 21st & Harvard" doesn't literally mean "to 21st & Harvard"

*** ...just in case that anyone or everyone**** thinks that "all roads" isn't hyperbole...

**** ..."everyone" is hyperbole, also...

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 04:23:42 pm »

And for years 169 dead-ended at 51st.  I remembered thinking how they’d probably never finish that project.

I remember that too...and then when the ex and I moved into an apartment at 93rd and Memorial, I was glad they extended it to 71st.  I look at the stretch of 71st west from 169 to Memorial and remember when it was 2 lanes from Mingo to 169 and the only thing out there was the Maytag shop.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 08:41:37 am »

Fixed the link to Tulsa!
https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/#v=36.15252,-95.87801,9.467,latLng&t=1.73

The original article I read linked to Des Moines for some reason, I didn't realize changing what City you were looking at didn't change the URL. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 01:27:59 pm »

We would go to the south end of that for years - going 'off road' on top of some of the mounds of dirt waiting for road.   Great place to watch fireworks all over town. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 01:30:47 pm »

And that is supposed to be progress.... tumor is the right description for both Vegas and Tulsa area.  Growth for growth's sake with no real idea of how/what/why/when applied.  Especially why, since we have proven conclusively that the associated problems related to inability to keep up with infrastructure doesn't really help overall.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 01:48:37 pm »

I think it also shows how badly the City of Tulsa needs work to develop the area more symmetrically.  East Tulsa has stalled out.  West Tulsa and North Tulsa have lagged behind for decades.  The NW section is an obvious growth area that needs to happen.  Everything gets growing south.  That pattern clearly hurts Tulsa retail, as well as patronage for entertainment options (downtown!).

However, it casts doubt ont he "highways for development" model.  As Hwy 11 progressed and as the Tisdale connected to it - the areas did not see significant new development.  The same can be said for the Creek Turnpike.  Development continues in the same pattern it was before the loop was there -  with the possible exception of Jenks booming. It certainly did nothing for East Tulsa.

Also - agree that much of it has been growth for growth's sake. I'm hard pressed to show one of the huge sections that have been filled in that strike me as something special.  But, then again, such a map would really only show that phenomenon.  New dense infill developments wouldn't really show up.  Hopefully, we keep moving in that direction too...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org