A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:05:56 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scott Pruitt to head the EPA  (Read 115990 times)
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 11:12:36 am »

Just wait until he nominates Sally Kern to the Supreme Court   Shocked

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 11:16:52 am »

All the people who voted for Trump are probably gonna be surprised that the won't get what they wanted or thought they were gonna get.   But they WILL get what they deserve.   Sadly, the rest of us will also be afflicted....

If we all go down together, Trump can take credit for unifying the country.

Meanwhile, Pruitt's corruption is astounding:
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/us/politics/energy-firms-in-secretive-alliance-with-attorneys-general.html

Oklahoma’s Attorney General Misled Supreme Court About Letter On Execution Drug Availability
https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrismcdaniel/oklahomas-attorney-general-misled-supreme-court-about-letter

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:51:23 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 01:56:16 pm »

Uncertain about climate change because it has become over-politicized

Being over-politicized doesn't change any of the facts or data.
The ones "politicizing" it are the likes of Scott Pruitt

Trump has said he wants to throw out all of NASAs climate-change research because it's too "politicized".
As opposed to wanting to throw it out because of bad data, methods, conclusions, etc.
Making something political and then dismissing it because it's been politicized... is...  trump logic.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »

Being over-politicized doesn't change any of the facts or data.
The ones "politicizing" it are the likes of Scott Pruitt

Trump has said he wants to throw out all of NASAs climate-change research because it's too "politicized".
As opposed to wanting to throw it out because of bad data, methods, conclusions, etc.
Making something political and then dismissing it because it's been politicized... is...  trump logic.

Trump Logic, my new favorite oxymoron.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 06:18:48 pm »

T.A.R.D in full effect.....Heh....

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 07:11:01 pm »

At this point I'm expecting Joseph Hazelwood to be named Secretary of the Navy.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 07:35:23 pm »

He's holding off on the big announcement of Sarah Palin as abassador...wait for it...to Russia.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 08:02:16 pm »

He's holding off on the big announcement of Sarah Palin as abassador...wait for it...to Russia.

Hey come on now, she could see Russia from her front porch, ya know.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 08:20:19 am »

I wonder what all the blue collar union guys in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan think about his choice for labor secretary - Andy Puzder.  He is best known for running the parent company of Carls Junior/Hardees. In general, he opposes anything that seems to be good for workers (higher minimum wage, sick leave, lunch breaks, overtime rules, etc.). His theory is that the only way to save American jobs is to make sure they remain cheap labor or else they will all be replaced.  Ergo, the problem with the American economy is that workers make too much money. That all makes sense, his profits are dependent on cheap labor.

What doesn't make sense is that Trump says the guy has an extensive record fighting for workers... but other than assuring labor remains cheap, no one seems to know exactly what that means.  But, in his defense, he did give lots of money to Donald Trump/his super PACs. Here is what labor has to say about the guy:  "Puzder as labor secretary is like putting Bernie Madoff in charge of the Treasury.”  Basically, in the battle between labor and management, Trump has sided with management, but I assume his "populist" supporters won't notice.

Fun fact:  Trump thinks the BLS (the official staistics on employment) are a "hoax" and the "real" unemployment rate is 42% (of course there were no facts to back this up, because it isn't real).  His new pick will be in charge of the BLS too, so I really hope we "fix" those statistics.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/08/news/economy/andrew-puzder-trump-labor-secretary/
https://mic.com/articles/161681/andrew-puzder-net-worth-here-s-what-we-know-about-the-millionaire-ceo-of-cke-restaurants#.XahCzuDqx
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/08/trump-expected-to-name-fast-food-ceo-andy-puzder-as-pick-for-labor-secretary-source.html

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 09:06:56 am »

I brought this up with a couple of Trumpsters that I know. One drives for a local company. His response was "I don't know anything about him, but if he has run a business then he knows the problems workers face." Oooooook. Never could get him to understand that running a business does not equal sympathizing with workers and in many cases means quite the opposite.

The other guy, who owns his own business and has 10 or so employees didn't even know there was such a thing as Secretary of Labor.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:14:51 am by Ibanez » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 10:50:56 pm »

Read an article that noticed how Trumps people were wanting info from some current government agencies like the EPA and were asking questions about the employees that seemed rather disturbing like "What kind of organizations or groups employees belonged to outside of work?" "What kinds of papers, articles, research, etc. had any of them done or had published or peer reviewed." etc.  Basically the context seemed to imply "If you believe X "In climate change for instance" and we find proof of that, you may be out of a job, we may defund that job and or replace you with someone who believes as we do. One was part of an agency that was supposed to non-biased and not political but to simply supply research information upon which to  to inform the public and businesses.  May be that the information we get in the future is "correctly adjusted".
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:52:31 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 10:40:48 am »

Read an article that noticed how Trumps people were wanting info from some current government agencies like the EPA and were asking questions about the employees that seemed rather disturbing like "What kind of organizations or groups employees belonged to outside of work?" "What kinds of papers, articles, research, etc. had any of them done or had published or peer reviewed." etc.  Basically the context seemed to imply "If you believe X "In climate change for instance" and we find proof of that, you may be out of a job, we may defund that job and or replace you with someone who believes as we do. One was part of an agency that was supposed to non-biased and not political but to simply supply research information upon which to  to inform the public and businesses.  May be that the information we get in the future is "correctly adjusted".

If this is really the case, one could make a similar inference that it is possible agencies have previously been staffed with people who support a specific agenda.

I’m not defending Trump’s choice of Pruitt to lead the EPA but pointing out if it’s possible to staff an agency to support an agenda now, then it has always been the case.

/tinfoil hat off.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 11:58:05 am »

If this is really the case, one could make a similar inference that it is possible agencies have previously been staffed with people who support a specific agenda.

I’m not defending Trump’s choice of Pruitt to lead the EPA but pointing out if it’s possible to staff an agency to support an agenda now, then it has always been the case.

/tinfoil hat off.

Republican President Richard Nixon wanted to give the feds a tool to counter individual state's corruption involving unchecked pollution of our water and air when he created the EPA. 

Some things tend to work better at the federal level.  Printing money, major disaster relief, national defense.  Demanding clean water might be an agenda, but its something most people wouldn't be willing to give up.

William...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/12/09/trump-transition-team-for-energy-department-seeks-names-of-employees-involved-in-climate-meetings/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 04:34:03 pm »

Republican President Richard Nixon wanted to give the feds a tool to counter individual state's corruption involving unchecked pollution of our water and air when he created the EPA. 

Some things tend to work better at the federal level.  Printing money, major disaster relief, national defense.  Demanding clean water might be an agenda, but its something most people wouldn't be willing to give up.

William...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/12/09/trump-transition-team-for-energy-department-seeks-names-of-employees-involved-in-climate-meetings/

When it comes to rivers, ground water, and air which all cross state lines it makes sense for federal regulations.  That is until you get a troglodyte like Pruitt trying to help ensure changes to state constitutions to usurp federal authority in terms of air and water.

The silver lining is perhaps we will get a new AG who understands, you know, the law.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 12:16:53 pm »

The silver lining is perhaps we will get a new AG who understands, you know, the law.

I'd have a difficult time placing a wager on this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org