A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:21:01 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Story Parking Garage on 4th & Main  (Read 33078 times)
johrasephoenix
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 09:09:57 am »

Any idea why the existing plaza was made so terrible?  Seems like it would be much better as a little pocket green space. 
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 09:14:23 am »

Any idea why the existing plaza was made so terrible?  Seems like it would be much better as a little pocket green space. 

Built in the 70s when pubic space meant cement, lots of cement?
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 08:18:51 am »

Plans to build a new parking garage in downtown Tulsa are still up in the air. The question being debated is - does the project warrant tax abatement money from the city?
The city has set aside several million dollars to help build up downtown by providing tax abatements for certain projects. But some questioned whether the planned parking garage is the best recipient of that tax help.

Price Family Properties wants to build a parking garage at 4th and Main but said they can't do it unless they get the abatement money. Developers said the parking garage they hope to build would cost $15 million and add more than $50,000 annually in city sales tax revenue.

Daniel Regan, property manager for the group, went in front of the local development act review committee Tuesday, April 25.  He made the case that the garage deserves close to $1 million in tax abatements and said without it, the project will die.

"Every expert says we don't need more parking," said Committee Member Jonathan Belzley, "we need a better coordinated effort on the part of the city."

The committee also didn't have any renderings of the project to review, and some committee members wanted to see renderings of what it would actually look like before voting.

"It means we need to know are there windows on the bottom floor?  Is there a ramp that gets you to a door and where might the doors be?  Nobody is going to hold you to the linear dimensions," said Blake Ewing, committee member.

Regan didn't have any renderings to show or express interest in pushing back the vote for more time to provide those details to the group.

But committee members voted to give Price Family properties another chance to come back with more information anyway.

Price Family Properties has until the next meeting to come up with more comprehensive renderings and specific reasons as to why it cannot happen without the $900,000 abatement.

http://www.newson6.com/story/35244630/downtown-tulsa-parking-garage-plans-debated
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 09:06:20 am »

The committee also didn't have any renderings of the project to review, and some committee members wanted to see renderings of what it would actually look like before voting.

"It means we need to know are there windows on the bottom floor?  Is there a ramp that gets you to a door and where might the doors be?  Nobody is going to hold you to the linear dimensions," said Blake Ewing, committee member.

Love Blake, he gets it unlike a lot of our city leaders.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 09:21:26 am »

Why on earth would you give a tax abatement to a parking garage surrounded by other parking garages that aren't full? Insanity.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2017, 09:47:24 am »

I can't fathom what economic benefit the city could expect from a parking garage in the middle of the business district unless it has storefronts on street level.  Otherwise, it's basically a handout to the companies that office in that area that would benefit only them. 
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2017, 03:56:49 pm »

I keep waiting for someone else to say it, can we please rename the thread title so that it reads correctly?   The proposed garage is at 4th and Main right?  Directly west of the current ONE Gas / First Place Tower building?

Global Moderator
Civic Leader

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2017, 05:04:22 pm »

I keep waiting for someone else to say it, can we please rename the thread title so that it reads correctly?   The proposed garage is at 4th and Main right?  Directly west of the current ONE Gas / First Place Tower building?

Thank you. It has been changed for the thread title (individual replies won't change).

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2017, 07:38:03 pm »

If you come to the city asking for a million dollars, you should have renderings, power points, charts, and fireworks.

"umm... dude... can I like... Have a million dollars?" is not a way to do business. We're not the administrators of your trust fund.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2017, 08:47:40 am »

I want a million dollars...!!

I will make a great Powerpoint !!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2017, 08:52:05 am »

If you come to the city asking for a million dollars, you should have renderings, power points, charts, and fireworks.

"umm... dude... can I like... Have a million dollars?" is not a way to do business. We're not the administrators of your trust fund.

Exactly.  This tax abatement pitch sounds more like an exit strategy than a serious plan.
LeGenDz
Activist

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2017, 11:54:06 am »

Sounds like a Sager project..  Shocked

bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 07:04:26 am »

Looks like this project is starting and expected to only take a year to complete.   

Did the abatement go through?  Any idea of whether the first floor retail was finalized/accepted?  Renderings?  So many questions.

MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2017, 07:29:50 am »

I thought I read the fencing for now is just for the sculpture removal/transfer. Haven't heard anything about any go ahead on the garage
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2017, 09:22:38 am »

I thought I read the fencing for now is just for the sculpture removal/transfer. Haven't heard anything about any go ahead on the garage

So.. we've got a fairgrounds situation?
Let's start demo work before things are finalized?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org