A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:01:21 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Story Parking Garage on 4th & Main  (Read 33362 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 11:33:12 am »

I will give it a try  Wink

Its such an ugly, strange looking piece of metal. Bet its pretty heavy too. Will cost me a lot to haul it off but I will be willing to do it as a favor.  

Also, I may have underestimated its scrap metal value...

http://artist.christies.com/Harry-Bertoia--11973.aspx

https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/13305/

I am trying to remember.  Years ago I saw one that was similar to the one in Tulsa, but smaller, go for, was it $500,000 or 5 mill?  Cant recall.  Think it was purchased by the Philly Museum of Art, may do some research.  Anyway, I always thought it so odd that the one here is just sitting outside in some hole with nary a mention about it as being one of the most significant pieces of art downtown.

When I saw this, I was also disappointed it was that spot because of this. I hope it can be relocated downtown or at least preserved. I would guess he knows it is a valuable are piece by a renown artist. Maybe they can even keep a spot for it nearby or in the new garage but I doubt that.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 01:00:04 pm »

Looking at the permit map, it isn't clear if the parking garage is going to cover the section that includes the fountain, it shows it being permitted for the 415 S. Main St. Lot, which is south (ish) of the lot which contains the statue.  That doesn't mean the map is incomplete, I didn't pull all the data.  See for yourself...
http://maps.cityoftulsa.org/permits/

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 01:59:25 pm »

It's hard to tell what the extent of this will be and if it also includes the little surface parking lot to the south?  If it stretches from the sidewalk on 4th all the way to the north edge of the building at 5th & Main that would be prime retail/reataurant frontage.  Hopefully then the the garage entrance/exit would be off 4th with a corner retail space at 4th & Main.

Here is a pic I found of the Bertoia fountain, hope it gets moved somewhere else downtown:

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 03:42:18 pm »

hope it gets moved somewhere else downtown

Middle of Bartlett Square?
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 04:16:25 pm »

Or add it to Centenial Green at 6th and Main. That park needs some more anchor features. I think that has been discussed on this board.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 04:40:05 pm »

It might be safer in Owasso since their cheerleaders run over stuff in downtown Tulsa.

Grin

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 05:33:05 pm »

I wonder if the existing auditorium will remain intact ... or if it might be demolished for additional parking spaces.

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 12:51:42 pm »

It might be safer in Owasso since their cheerleaders run over stuff in downtown Tulsa.

Grin

Come on now...
It's the cheerleaders moms  Wink Grin
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 08:41:03 am »

Permits issued.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/city-issues-permit-for--story-parking-garage-in-heart/article_f537992d-c361-5395-9c26-ea27f25d16b5.html
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 01:03:12 pm »

Wondering if having this garage will help make a rework of the Parker Building (3rd & Main) more feasible.  If I recall correctly, lack of parking doomed the most recently announced project for that building.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 03:04:01 pm »

Is there a way to view the permit drawings online? 

dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 10:13:21 am »

Is there a way to view the permit drawings online? 

Nope. You have to file an Open Records Request and then view them in person.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 12:21:00 pm »

Nope. You have to file an Open Records Request and then view them in person.

Are you allowed to photocopy and/or photograph them in there?
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 01:14:21 pm »

Are you allowed to photocopy and/or photograph them in there?

I was allowed to take pictures. I didn't ask about photocopies, but that might be an option (though probably with a fee).

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 09:57:31 pm »

Tonight, at the Cox Business Center, Jeff Speck showed a rendering of the proposed parking garage, looking toward the southeast corner of 4th & Main.

Several people in the audience sitting near me groaned audibly when they saw the parking garage rendering.  And I can't blame them: It was one of the most hideous design renderings I've ever seen proposed for downtown Tulsa, and I've seen dozens of proposals over the decades.  In my opinion, the proposed parking garage design is truly AWFUL.

I think Jeff Speck's intent by showing the rendering was to give an example of the type of development the City of Tulsa should NOT allow downtown.  Another "never do this" example showed by Jeff Speck was a rendering for the Jackson Technical building under construction near 6th & Elgin.

Near the end of Jeff Speck's presentation, during the Q & A time, a young man (Garden Deva's son??) approached the microphone and offered a "clarification" about the proposed parking garage at 4th & Main.  It was his understanding that the parking facility would include retail at the sidewalk level, or at least had been designed so it "could" include retail space in the future.  I think the young man was trying to emphasize that the rendering showed was an old drawing -- not the current design.

I agree with BKDotCom:  Constructing another parking garage seems short-sighted.  Self-driving vehicles will become common soon, I think.

To me, this seems like an expensive proposal for an extremely ugly, anti-urban structure that probably will sit empty most of the time on a prime piece of real estate.  

*Edited to remove unnecessary name-calling
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:24:35 am by Moderator » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org