A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:15:05 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Parking Facility in Brady District  (Read 14202 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: November 30, 2016, 01:30:50 pm »

Not sure how this slipped by, but I haven't seen anyone discussing it:

The Tulsa Parking Authority spent $2.1 million buying the "Borden Trucking Lot,"  at the NW corner of Cameron and Boulder (diagonal from 36 Degrees North, it wasn't owned by Borden but they parked their trucks there).  Th Frontier wrote a great piece on it, essentially they are trying to stay ahead of demand and have heard some noise that the Brady is starting to fear parking pressure.  They don't have plans for the structure, but said they want it to blend in to the area.  

https://www.readfrontier.com/special-projects/tulsa-parking-authority-buys-land-brady-district-new-parking-facility/

Could work out great for 36 Degrees North and the newly announced Hanson Brother's project, which has TDA support.  I've never had issues with parking, because I can park in the evenings at the Williams/BOK garage for $2 and walk 3 blocks... but if I worked there, tried to run a retail store, or wanted people to stop in for lunch - I'd understand.  Of course, opportunities for overnight leases for residents also open up.

It was a multi parcel sale per the Tulsa County Assessor website, but the Frontier reports it is just over an acre. I don't have time at the moment, but someone else can go to the Tulsa County Assessor's website and pull up what the lots across the street sold for to the Hanson group or other projects and see if land is commonly going for $2mil an acre in the Brady district.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:32:26 pm by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 02:32:58 pm »

Hmm. Hope they put retail on the first floor and it is not just parking. That would slightly ruin the potential to have Main be a nice street to walk down all the way from Archer to Easton. (Yes, I know it's not great now with the truck parking). Especially with the Hanson development across the street adding to the east side of main.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:58:27 pm »

It was a multi parcel sale per the Tulsa County Assessor website, but the Frontier reports it is just over an acre. I don't have time at the moment, but someone else can go to the Tulsa County Assessor's website and pull up what the lots across the street sold for to the Hanson group or other projects and see if land is commonly going for $2mil an acre in the Brady district.

The land across from the PAC downtown went for $2.7 million an acre.

Power is nothing till you use it.
saintnicster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 06:27:46 pm »

Not sure how this slipped by, but I haven't seen anyone discussing it:

The Tulsa Parking Authority spent $2.1 million buying the "Borden Trucking Lot,"  at the NW corner of Cameron and Boulder (diagonal from 36 Degrees North, it wasn't owned by Borden but they parked their trucks there).  Th Frontier wrote a great piece on it, essentially they are trying to stay ahead of demand and have heard some noise that the Brady is starting to fear parking pressure.  They don't have plans for the structure, but said they want it to blend in to the area.  

https://www.readfrontier.com/special-projects/tulsa-parking-authority-buys-land-brady-district-new-parking-facility/

Could work out great for 36 Degrees North and the newly announced Hanson Brother's project, which has TDA support.  I've never had issues with parking, because I can park in the evenings at the Williams/BOK garage for $2 and walk 3 blocks... but if I worked there, tried to run a retail store, or wanted people to stop in for lunch - I'd understand.  Of course, opportunities for overnight leases for residents also open up.

It got buried in the generic downtown development thread Smiley http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21006.msg312189#msg312189

But good to highlight, no doubt Cheesy
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 07:02:06 pm »

The Tulsa Parking Authority spent $2.1 million buying the "Borden Trucking Lot,"  at the NW corner of Cameron and Boulder...

The property is at the NE corner of Cameron and Boulder (or the NW corner of Cameron and Main).

The Frontier published an online article, but it's not great.  At least four times in the article, the property's location is indicated as being along East Cameron Street.  That is incorrect.  The property is north of West Cameron Street.

The Frontier article incorrectly describes the location of the Civic Center Parkade as 520 E Third St.

The Frontier article mentions a "Performing Arts Center Lot" at 110 E Second St.  There is no parking lot at that particular location.

...I've never had issues with parking...

I've not experienced issues with parking in downtown Tulsa because I'm usually willing to walk a block or two or three or more.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:04:13 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 09:28:10 pm »

Hmm. Hope they put retail on the first floor and it is not just parking. That would slightly ruin the potential to have Main be a nice street to walk down all the way from Archer to Easton. (Yes, I know it's not great now with the truck parking). Especially with the Hanson development across the street adding to the east side of main.

I agree hopefully it does have retail space.  Something like this garage in Boulder would be great.  Smiley

johrasephoenix
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:08 pm »

Not my favorite location, but the Brady does need parking.  It's not an issue now, and it won't be for 10 years, and for people experienced with parking in dense urban places it will probably never be an issue, but if we want people with the driving habits of Tulsans to come downtown we need to provide parking and a garage sure beats the hell out a surface lot.  I know it's not often done in Tulsa, but you really can make garages that conceal what they are.  If you're ever in Cambridge, one of the key buildings in Harvard Square stuffed with bars and restaurants on top of the MBTA station is in fact a parking garage.  Most folks would never know.  You get other parking garages near Fenway Park that look like pre-war red brick warehouses.  Heck, Miami Beach's most popular piece of architecture is a parking garage. 

In short, if the Tulsa Parking Authority is willing to really invest in this property it could become an asset rather than dead space like most garages. 
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 08:39:45 am »

I agree hopefully it does have retail space.  Something like this garage in Boulder would be great.  Smiley

Wow, you can't even tell that is a garage. Yes, something along those lines would be perfect!

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 11:03:12 am »

The need is based on growth so street level retail has to be part of the plan.  If they plop down a crappy garage there they are basically defeating the purpose of the need for parking to begin with.  I also read a lot about large metro downtowns which are trending towards less parking, but in Tulsa, we will always be about 20 years behind the trends, and our downtown needs people from outside the downtown-midtown bubble to thrive, so parking is a necessary evil.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:04:44 am by DowntownDan » Logged
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 04:29:59 pm »

I believe demolition was under way at the proposed site when I drove by on Friday morning.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 11:31:55 am »

Walked by and yes, the demo of the old building at the NW corner of the lot is gone and they took out the fence along the north side.  Has anyone seen or heard anything about the plans?  Is it going to just be a lot for a while as they finish the plans or continue to just sit empty? 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 02:10:42 pm »

Will OKPOP have on site parking or will it use this structure?
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 02:46:08 pm »

It's supposed to have parking. I wanna say I read at least 100 spaces?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 08:48:23 am »

The grapevine told me that the NW corner of Main and Cameron is being turned into a surface parking lot for now, being administered as a pay lot by a vendor. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 11:50:04 am »

The grapevine told me that the NW corner of Main and Cameron is being turned into a surface parking lot for now, being administered as a pay lot by a vendor. 

Yay! Go surface parking!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org