A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:22:57 am
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1469531 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3750 on: August 30, 2018, 10:50:40 pm »

The FBI has arrested a man accused of making threatening calls to a newspaper that criticised President Donald Trump's attacks on the media.
He allegedly called journalists the "enemy of the people", using a phrase which has been frequently invoked by Mr Trump, who last tweeted it on Thursday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45361665

Look, President Trump, at who’s using your ‘enemy of the people’ rhetoric

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2018/08/30/look-president-trump-at-whos-using-your-enemy-of-the-people-rhetoric/?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3751 on: August 31, 2018, 10:57:22 pm »

Funny you should mention tariffs... I work at a place that uses lots of steel and aluminum and copper.  10:8:3 ratio, approx.  When you do $90 million for the month and tariffs impacted that by almost $4 million - extra cost...that's a big deal.  EBIT hard hit.  Been building for a couple months and will get worse before it gets better.   And that is just one little 'backwater', small market share company in the industry.

Naw...ain't no trade war going on here...  Except in the real, non-Minion world!

Speaking with one of my boiler manufacturers today, he said it was a gradual uptick of 15% on rolled steel over about 6-8 weeks after the tariff announcement and they purchase all steel from US mills.  It's a pride issue with the company owner, he's got a thing about using US steel and not imports.  It's kept them at a slight disadvantage on pricing all along since he bought the company in 2006 due to that insistence.  Instead of leveling the playing field, US manufacturers raised the price on their customers because they could.

Intended or unintended consequences?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3752 on: September 01, 2018, 05:43:21 pm »

Speaking with one of my boiler manufacturers today, he said it was a gradual uptick of 15% on rolled steel over about 6-8 weeks after the tariff announcement and they purchase all steel from US mills.  It's a pride issue with the company owner, he's got a thing about using US steel and not imports.  It's kept them at a slight disadvantage on pricing all along since he bought the company in 2006 due to that insistence.  Instead of leveling the playing field, US manufacturers raised the price on their customers because they could.

Intended or unintended consequences?

Yes.   Both.   Trump knows just enough about business to 'stir the pot' and maybe something will come drifting his way that he can cash in on.  The other 350 million of us can go suck eggs.  The cost associated with just this one item - trade war with the world - will cost our economy 10 times whatever minuscule "benefit" would ever be achieved by all this carp.   Just China alone - we have about $650 billion in trade total - with the approx $50 billion deficit he is lying about.   That means we buy another $300 billion from them and they buy $300 billion from us - the total non-"deficit" pieces.  And these numbers change, so pick any point in time - the same principle applies.

How many years will it take just for your boiler guy just to get even with the increases that have hit him so far?  My place only got hit with $4 million extra THIS MONTH.  And last month was over $2.  How much 'extra' profit is it gonna take to make that up and for how long?  If you could just recover a million a month - after the bleeding stops some long time down the road - well, that 'extra' million a month ain't ever gonna happen, as you and I and your boiler guy know.  Multiply that by all the companies in this country using steel and aluminum.

And then factor in the tens of billions of losses to our farmers - soybeans, wheat, corn, cattle.  AND the $12 billion "bailout" that us taxpayers are gonna get to pay for to "help" farmers...    By the way, $12 billion is a tiny drop in a very big bucket that they are gonna get...

And the unimaginably ignorant sh$t he has stirred up with Canada -our biggest trading partner next to China - right at $600 billion...and we have a surplus with them!!   The Minions are arguably the most ignorant single group of people in existence on this planet today...and the rest of his supporters are Ku Klux Klanners, Nazi's, and other worthless pieces of trash.  What a great country Trump is trying to make us into!

We were pretty great and very obviously getting greater every day, every year.  Until Trump and his draft-dodging, racist, bigoted, misogynistic, lying, sick, warped and twisted world view came to office.

Meghan McCain;

“The America of John McCain has no need to be made great again, because America was always great!”   She also said her father was “a great man” and “we gather here to mourn the passing of American greatness, the real thing, not cheap rhetoric from men who will never come near the sacrifice he gave so willingly, nor the opportunistic appropriation of those who lived lives of comfort and privilege while he suffered and served.”

Oh, and I did finally start to see flags flown half mast.  Half assed effort to "make up" and gloss over, by the low lives who left them up for several days.  Got some pictures a couple of days at lunch - will have to go through them and put the list here of those who dragged their feet.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:53:22 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3753 on: September 01, 2018, 06:23:16 pm »

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3754 on: September 03, 2018, 03:58:27 pm »

A few months before his death, McCain made it known he didn't want Trump anywhere near his funeral.  Still, Trump's reaction was pitiful when taken as a whole.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3755 on: September 03, 2018, 05:50:05 pm »

A few months before his death, McCain made it known he didn't want Trump anywhere near his funeral.  Still, Trump's reaction was pitiful when taken as a whole.

It was exactly as would be expected from Trump.  I'm just surprised he wasn't talking about dating his daughter again....that's what a (hiopefully amall, but we really don't know, do we..?) group of his biggest supporters are tuned in for now, isn't it??

Like he has done on several occasions and about a couple daughters...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3756 on: September 03, 2018, 06:15:00 pm »

The buffoon who said he was "not going to have time to go play golf" has spent 1/4 of his presidency doing just that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/how-much-time-trump-spends-trump-properties-mar-lago-n753366

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:52:57 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3757 on: September 03, 2018, 07:37:44 pm »

The buffoon who said he was "not going to have time to go play golf" has spent 1/4 of his presedency doing just that.

At least when he is playing golf, he is less likely to twitter something stupid.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3758 on: September 03, 2018, 09:16:39 pm »

Just heard on the news about a warning to parents of people trying to "friend" children on Facebook and asking for pictures of the kids.  Indications are it's from a foreign country.  No doubt from Russia - official Trump campaign headquarters in Moscow.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #3759 on: September 04, 2018, 02:06:18 pm »

The buffoon who said he was "not going to have time to go play golf" has spent 1/4 of his presidency doing just that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/how-much-time-trump-spends-trump-properties-mar-lago-n753366

He is on pace to hit Obama's 8 year golf total in 4 years. LOL
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3760 on: September 04, 2018, 07:27:26 pm »

He is on pace to hit Obama's 8 year golf total in 4 years. LOL

A newspaper that religiously defends trump is not so sure now:

(the book) “Fear” also alleges the president is basically losing his mind, and that top White House officials constantly work behind his back to curtail his worst impulses, including the time he supposedly instructed Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. to plan a pre-emptive strike on North Korea.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-white-houses-response-to-the-new-bob-woodward-book-doesnt-exactly-strike-confidence-in-ones-heart

Trump started a trade war because he decided he could win it; what happens when he decides he can win a nuclear war?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3761 on: September 04, 2018, 08:04:20 pm »

Trump started a trade war because he decided he could win it; what happens when he decides he can win a nuclear war?

I won't have to worry about affording retirement.

Sad

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3762 on: September 04, 2018, 09:45:47 pm »

I won't have to worry about affording retirement.

Sad

Glad I started my working retirement early!  With any luck I will have a few commercial batches brewed before there's a very bright light in the sky to the west early one morning.

They tell a story about scouts here at Philmont seeing "two sunrises" the morning they set off Trinity down near Alamogordo in 1945.  That appears to be about 250 miles as the crow flies so no idea how true that would have been.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #3763 on: September 05, 2018, 07:48:02 am »

If Woodward's account is true, we already have a palace coup underway in the White House. That may be unlawful while being in the best interests of our country. Time will tell and history will judge the Trump administration.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #3764 on: September 05, 2018, 02:42:40 pm »

If Woodward's account is true, we already have a palace coup underway in the White House. That may be unlawful while being in the best interests of our country. Time will tell and history will judge the Trump administration.

The NYT Op-ed is basically a senior WH official admitting they've staged a coup "for the good of the country" because Trump is insane. Cowards. Say this publicly, invoke the 25th and get Pence to do your dirty tax cuts.

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org