A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:51:28 pm
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1455207 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2715 on: February 22, 2018, 03:40:57 pm »

In this tweet he disagrees with himself in less than 40 words. Impressive.

And teachers with guns in classrooms is beyond a terrible idea.

And all the teachers I know absolutely agree.  They're educators, not security guards.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TeeDub
« Reply #2716 on: February 22, 2018, 03:44:49 pm »

And teachers with guns in classrooms is beyond a terrible idea.

There are quite a few school districts who have armed teachers.  

I believe Oklahoma started allowing it in 2015.

A "gun free zone" sign has been shown over and over not to work, time to try something else.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2717 on: February 22, 2018, 03:52:51 pm »

A "gun free zone" sign has been shown over and over not to work, time to try something else.

Need to ask the teachers; every one I've seen and talked to in person says this is a HORRIBLE idea.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2718 on: February 22, 2018, 04:33:26 pm »

I've had teachers who couldn't be trusted with a sharpened Crayola let alone a gun.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2719 on: February 22, 2018, 06:52:55 pm »

I found one in Oklahoma, Okay schools.

So how soon are teachers going to "stand their ground" against threatening students? What if a student manages to grab a teachers gun? It happens to cops with far more training than any teacher.

The entire UK is basically a gun free zone. They average 50-60 gun homicides per year for 56 million people. The US does have six times as many people as the UK, but we have 360 times more gun homicides.

I'm not saying we should ban all guns, but to say that gun free zones don't work is silly. We are the only country on the planet with this problem.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:59:49 pm by swake » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2720 on: February 23, 2018, 02:23:23 am »

...because thats how you talk when you are a spoiled 14-year old girl.

You have justt defined yourself, and every other lefty member of the Tulsa Now Forum that make up Barack’s Gone Bathouse club.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:21:26 am by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TeeDub
« Reply #2721 on: February 23, 2018, 08:12:13 am »

I've had teachers who couldn't be trusted with a sharpened Crayola let alone a gun.

But yet you trust them to teach your children?
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2722 on: February 23, 2018, 08:59:54 am »

But yet you trust them to teach your children?

What does ability and/or want, to carry a weapon have to do with the ability to teach?

(For clarity, while I disagree with the general premise of arming teachers, my brother and his wife and several of their friends - also teachers - are all concealed carry, so it can overlap. I just don't like illogical arguments.)

TeeDub
« Reply #2723 on: February 23, 2018, 09:53:43 am »

What does ability and/or want, to carry a weapon have to do with the ability to teach?

If I couldn't trust someone with a sharpened crayon, buy yet expect them to instill core value and education upon my children?   

Seems like a bad idea to let them teach, regardless of carrying a gun.     
TeeDub
« Reply #2724 on: February 23, 2018, 09:57:06 am »

In 2016, there were 20+ who admitted to it.

(look at the bottom for the pdf.)
http://www.news9.com/story/33618337/9-investigates-schools-arming-teachers-to-protect-students
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2725 on: February 23, 2018, 09:58:37 am »

If I couldn't trust someone with a sharpened crayon, buy yet expect them to instill core value and education upon my children?   

Seems like a bad idea to let them teach, regardless of carrying a gun.     

I know a lot of teachers that would not, could not, carry a weapon or be expected to use effectively in an emergency situation like what is suggested.  That in no way makes them bad teachers.  These are very distinct abilities and careers.  (I also know police officers and military that shouldn't teach. They aren't mutually exclusive, but also aren't the same.)

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2726 on: February 23, 2018, 05:35:18 pm »

I know a lot of teachers that would not, could not, carry a weapon or be expected to use effectively in an emergency situation like what is suggested.  That in no way makes them bad teachers.  These are very distinct abilities and careers.  (I also know police officers and military that shouldn't teach. They aren't mutually exclusive, but also aren't the same.)

I believe the suggestion is that teachers are allowed, not required to carry a weapon. So it allows for your "dangerous with a sharp pencil" teachers to decide not to carry a weapon.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2727 on: February 24, 2018, 05:11:36 pm »

So how soon are teachers going to "stand their ground" against threatening students? What if a student manages to grab a teachers gun? It happens to cops with far more training than any teacher.

The entire UK is basically a gun free zone. They average 50-60 gun homicides per year for 56 million people. The US does have six times as many people as the UK, but we have 360 times more gun homicides.

I'm not saying we should ban all guns, but to say that gun free zones don't work is silly. We are the only country on the planet with this problem.

And there are 50% more people killed every year with hammers and clubs than ALL rifles combined - not just "assault rifles".  And twice as many killed with hands and feet as all rifles combined.

So, I guess we just ban everyone from taking hands and feet into schools and they will be much safer.   Same logic as the anti-gunners.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2728 on: February 24, 2018, 07:19:58 pm »

"Various considerations also render it expedient that the terms on which foreigners may be admitted to the rights of citizens should be speedily ascertained by a uniform rule of naturalization."
-- George Washington, First State of the Union address.

So many of the right wing extremists blather on and on about immigration and "founding fathers" - often in the same breath.  They continue to fail, as they have for decades, to follow the advice of the First Founding Father.  Shows how far we have fallen...from First Founding Father to our current Pedophile in Chief.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2729 on: February 25, 2018, 08:50:04 am »

"Various considerations also render it expedient that the terms on which foreigners may be admitted to the rights of citizens should be speedily ascertained by a uniform rule of naturalization."
-- George Washington, First State of the Union address.

So many of the right wing extremists blather on and on about immigration and "founding fathers" - often in the same breath.  They continue to fail, as they have for decades, to follow the advice of the First Founding Father.  Shows how far we have fallen...from First Founding Father to our current Pedophile in Chief.

I agree that naturalization should be a rather expedient process, however, just opening the gate is not the answer. There is a happy medium. And when you have one side advocating for open borders more or less, you are going to get the exact opposite from the opposition party. Just from a bargaining perspective you pretty much have to take the exact opposite approach because you as well as I know that when a solution is finally reached it will be somewhere in the middle. So do we want something in the middle of no immigration and open immigration or open immigration and really easy immigration.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org