A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:46:07 am
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1455011 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2640 on: February 08, 2018, 05:04:45 pm »

I work hard at not being robotic with loyalty to a person because of political affiliation
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2641 on: February 08, 2018, 05:06:06 pm »

I work hard at not being robotic with loyalty to a person because of political affiliation
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2642 on: February 08, 2018, 05:07:25 pm »

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2643 on: February 08, 2018, 05:12:17 pm »

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2644 on: February 09, 2018, 01:45:46 am »

We really need a military parade, says Chuck Schumer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qULXpV9CWI

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #2645 on: February 09, 2018, 07:53:21 am »

To quote a youtube comment... a youtube comment! 

"There's a difference between veterans marching in a ticker tape parade and the showing off of military hardware that trump wants"

you know this, I know this.
TeeDub
« Reply #2646 on: February 09, 2018, 09:43:29 am »

I believe strongly in states rights, but also the Constitution that talks about states cannot abrogate or deny Federal rights.   Also could fall under interstate vs intrastate commerce considerations (gun sales).

Probably won't be the end of it, even if it is passed.  Will be many court challenges.

Even if it passes, you will still be subject to the randomness of state gun laws.   (ie. In Oklahoma, a gun buster sign has no meaning, it is just a feel good sign...   In Texas, signs have real meaning...  A properly placed 30.06 sign can earn you a misdemeanor and a 51% sign can win you a felony..)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2647 on: February 09, 2018, 10:02:29 am »

Mike Pence - North Korean military parade is "an ongoing provocation" and a Trump parade would be a "celebration".

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/pence-bashes-north-koreas-military-parade-endorses-trumps-083203429--abc-news-topstories.html

Can we try to be consistent with our parade outrage?

You want to know what kind of parade troops like? One where they ride on a flatbed trailer and wave at little kids with flag. You want to know what kind they hate? One where they march in formation for two hours in summer heat to walk by an orange man with an epic combover so that he can feel better about his tiny hands.

Which one is Trump going for?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:06:43 am by swake » Logged
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2648 on: February 09, 2018, 10:27:02 am »

I believe strongly in states rights, but also the Constitution that talks about states cannot abrogate or deny Federal rights.   Also could fall under interstate vs intrastate commerce considerations (gun sales).

Probably won't be the end of it, even if it is passed.  Will be many court challenges.

Agreed that guns are an interesting aspect to the general argument, relative to the ongoing debate(s) related to the second amendment.  Just took a few minutes to re-read some of the articles on the SCOTUS Obergefell decision in 2015 related to gay marriage reciprocity, and I see the gun issue being very similar.  (Caveat.  I'm not a lawyer, so I have no legal basis for that opinion.) 

Also, I'm not a rabid states-rights person.  There has to be a balance.  But I do think that states have the right to set up laws - even very restrictive laws - on issues that they see best fits their state.   A couple of these type laws, both related to CA, relate to auto emissions and poultry:

-  CA is much more restrictive than, say, OK, in emissions and such.  But cars can obviously be bought in other states and driven across state lines. Is it onerous on CA to demand greater emissions controls than other states?

- CA also has the new "free range egg" law, whereby all eggs sold in CA must meet requirements around more space for the chickens, etc.   Other states, which do not have these laws, have sued to stop this under the Commerce Clause.  (The pig people are also in on that, because CA is such a large market that if they do similar things with pork and beef, it will have a significant impact on those producers as well.) 

Almost all commerce these days is inter-state, so the Commerce Clause could be used to justify a significant takeover of states rights to regulate within their own borders.  (And, just to continue the thought experiment, what about simple marijuana possession?  "Hey, I bought it legally in CO, so it's legal in OK." Might be stretch, but it's the end-game to the erosion of state-specific laws.)

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2649 on: February 09, 2018, 11:23:42 am »

Even if it passes, you will still be subject to the randomness of state gun laws.   (ie. In Oklahoma, a gun buster sign has no meaning, it is just a feel good sign...   In Texas, signs have real meaning...  A properly placed 30.06 sign can earn you a misdemeanor and a 51% sign can win you a felony..)

Yep.  Gotta know where you are going, for sure.  That's why I have not been in Illinois for personal time in many years.  Wouldn't go there for business if not required by the job.  Gotta find another job....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2650 on: February 09, 2018, 11:28:06 am »

Agreed that guns are an interesting aspect to the general argument, relative to the ongoing debate(s) related to the second amendment.  Just took a few minutes to re-read some of the articles on the SCOTUS Obergefell decision in 2015 related to gay marriage reciprocity, and I see the gun issue being very similar.  (Caveat.  I'm not a lawyer, so I have no legal basis for that opinion.) 

Also, I'm not a rabid states-rights person.  There has to be a balance.  But I do think that states have the right to set up laws - even very restrictive laws - on issues that they see best fits their state.   A couple of these type laws, both related to CA, relate to auto emissions and poultry:

-  CA is much more restrictive than, say, OK, in emissions and such.  But cars can obviously be bought in other states and driven across state lines. Is it onerous on CA to demand greater emissions controls than other states?

- CA also has the new "free range egg" law, whereby all eggs sold in CA must meet requirements around more space for the chickens, etc.   Other states, which do not have these laws, have sued to stop this under the Commerce Clause.  (The pig people are also in on that, because CA is such a large market that if they do similar things with pork and beef, it will have a significant impact on those producers as well.) 

Almost all commerce these days is inter-state, so the Commerce Clause could be used to justify a significant takeover of states rights to regulate within their own borders.  (And, just to continue the thought experiment, what about simple marijuana possession?  "Hey, I bought it legally in CO, so it's legal in OK." Might be stretch, but it's the end-game to the erosion of state-specific laws.)

That "dance" is what keeps our courts in business.  States Rights versus Federal has been the point of argument since the Constitution was ratified - and before!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2651 on: February 09, 2018, 03:30:39 pm »

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2652 on: February 09, 2018, 05:38:30 pm »

To quote a youtube comment... a youtube comment! 

"There's a difference between veterans marching in a ticker tape parade and the showing off of military hardware that trump wants"

you know this, I know this.

I have no idea what “I know” here. And I don’t care. What I do care about is the bed wetting over this. Like it or not, Trump is president. And this is just another opportunity for the sore losers to b!tch again.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2653 on: February 09, 2018, 07:22:10 pm »

I have no idea what “I know” here. And I don’t care. What I do care about is the bed wetting over this. Like it or not, Trump is president. And this is just another opportunity for the sore losers to b!tch again.

Too bad he wouldn't leave all those women that he sexually assaulted alone, AMIRITE?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2654 on: February 09, 2018, 07:31:53 pm »

In Russia news. Trump blocks the Democratic memo. Because, you know, it doesn't make him look good. Anyone still want to argue the Nunes memo was about anything other than obstruction and protecting Trump?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dem-fisa-memo-trump-today-2018-02-09-live-updates/
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org