A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:15:48 pm
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1455159 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2595 on: February 07, 2018, 02:43:20 pm »

Russia offers illegally hacked emails to the Trump campaign, and Trumpers respond "great news!" and set up meetings.

Adam Schiff is offered naked photos of Trump and calls the House Intelligence Committee and the FBI.

Can you see the difference? No, of course you can't because MAGA!

I sure do. One really wants to see naked pictures of Trump.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2596 on: February 07, 2018, 03:43:10 pm »

such a whiney assed b!tch.  Calls those who didn't applaud for him at the SOTU treasonous and unAmerican.  And NOW he wants a military parade.  Who does that sound like to you?

The Brits figured it out

Fox News, the Republicans and the conservative media-industrial complex will waste no time in saying the parade is a celebration of the troops – and therefore any critic is really criticising “the young men and women who heroically defend America’s freedom and put themselves in harm’s way”, or words to that effect.

It means opponents will have to be canny. A counter-demonstration could easily be cast as unpatriotic, hostile to those in uniform, rather than to the commander-in-chief (who, of course, dodged military service himself, later claiming his battle to avoid contracting a sexually transmitted disease despite intense promiscuity was his “personal Vietnam”). But there is an opening here nonetheless.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/07/trump-military-parade-would-be-despot-strongman-tactics

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #2597 on: February 07, 2018, 03:54:16 pm »

The Brits figured it out

Strange that they criticize America having a military parade when they have their own...

https://www.armedforcesday.org.uk/

I guess I am curious about what is it about a parade that scares/intimidates people.   We ride in parades most years and throw candy at people (sometimes from the back of a half-track.)   We enjoy it, the people enjoy it, the veterans sure enjoy it.   Not sure what there is to whine about.    Probably just the fact that he is still accomplishing things and the "he just plays golf" thing got worn out.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2598 on: February 07, 2018, 04:09:30 pm »

Strange that they criticize America having a military parade when they have their own...

I guess I am curious about what is it about a parade that scares/intimidates people.   We ride in parades most years and throw candy at people (sometimes from the back of a half-track.)   We enjoy it, the people enjoy it, the veterans sure enjoy it.   Not sure what there is to whine about.    Probably just the fact that he is still accomplishing things and the "he just plays golf" thing got worn out.

Parades of that sort are usually reserved to celebrate the end of a war, not the beginning.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2599 on: February 07, 2018, 04:10:09 pm »

When did we cancel Veteran's Day?

This is just a circle jerk for Trump so he can go vroom vroom in the big mean fighting machines.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #2600 on: February 07, 2018, 04:12:20 pm »

Seriously?  Come one.   We, the US, also have Armed Forces Day parades all over the country.  Hundreds of them.   This is not what Trump wants, and you know it.  I know you understand the difference, you just don't want to admit it.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #2601 on: February 07, 2018, 04:16:40 pm »

When did we cancel Veteran's Day?

This is just a circle jerk for Trump so he can go vroom vroom in the big mean fighting machines.

Here's what he sees in his head:

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2602 on: February 07, 2018, 04:22:57 pm »

Trump has a big thing about...um...big things.

One plausible reason for a parade would be to commemorate (not celebrate) the end of WW1 on Armistice Day. To my mind, this should be a solemn affair honoring those who gave their lives and limbs, and it should be an object lesson on the horror of modern warfare. But we refuse to learn from the past. If Trump were anywhere near it would be all about him.  

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2603 on: February 07, 2018, 05:10:01 pm »

You’re prior military. Haven’t you ever marched in parade? It’s a lot of fun, and a chance to feel appreciated and for others to appreciate you.

As for the others griping, go read the title of Ace’s article I posted. It’s fitting for you.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2604 on: February 07, 2018, 05:12:37 pm »

You’re prior military. Haven’t you ever marched in parade? It’s a lot of fun, and a chance to feel appreciated and for others to appreciate you.

As for the others griping, go read the title of Ace’s article I posted. It’s fitting for you.

No.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2605 on: February 07, 2018, 05:13:45 pm »

Nonono   asparagus swears that 1.60 inflation adjusted is $15...   Not almost $12.

Mode importantly, no one ever claimed minimum wage was meant to be a long term career choice.  I don't believe that minimum wage was ever supposed to be a "living wage."

Taking out of context in the best Fake Fox News fashion.  Another detailed discussion, typed slowly so all the Fake Fox Fans can understand.  Again.  What I have said repeatedly over several years is that the US minimum wage is 40% lower in real terms than it was in 1968.  So, let's take Red Arrow's number of $11.57...I can work with that.  Won't even round it up to $12 to make the math easier because I can understand fractions - unlike most Fake Fox Fans.

As it turns out, doing the percentage calculation between where the minimum wage is today, $7.25, and where inflation would have it if ONLY were to stay even with no improvement in standard of living for anyone would, according to his calculator, would be $11.57, giving a deficit of 41.41%.  This I will round down so no one will think I am trying to cook the books, to 40%.   Or identical to what I have been saying all along.  

What my comment a few lines back was;

"The ONLY way it is NOT realistic is if they take the approach the US did for the last 35 years - let NO increases due to inflation happen so that you keep the lowest paid at the bottom and getting lower, and let the richest get richer.  That is why we have a legal minimum wage of $7.25 - or one half the equivalent of what it was when it peaked in 1968.  (That is where the $15 an hour number comes from one hears about in the minimum wage protests from time to time.)"

Granted there was some small hyperbole - very small - in my "estimate" of about half of the peak of 1968.  I submit half is a good "broad stroke" wording, easy enough for even the most ardent Fake Fox News fan to understand.  The difference between 40% and 50% in this context is not that large, after all.

As for $15 an hour, well as I also said, that is a number that the minimum wage protests picked up on.  Their number is the one you try to put in my mouth.   Probably to give a nice round number to chant.  Even you must admit it fits better in a protest situation than trying to say $11.57.  Plus, I am sure that minimum wage people feel that it is not unreasonable for them to actually be just a little better off after 50 years!   And an extra 25% or so would not be out of line.   (That 25% is the difference increase from $12 to $15 an hour.)  After all, the top people got an extra 25,000% in that same time.   To paraphrase; we must let all draw the water from the well.  Certainly 25% is not an unreasonable bill for such services as they provide.  After all, we are not Communists...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2606 on: February 07, 2018, 05:23:00 pm »

And if anyone is interested in reality, here is a good summary of minimum wage since it's inception.  Notice the changes made in 1961 and 1966.  I worked under both 1938 and 1966 type jobs in that late 60's time - left a 1966 min wage job for 1938 min wage.  Even though I got raise from $1 to $1.30 before it was law, they would not go to $1.60, so I left for a $1.40 job that became a $1.60 job a few months later.  Then got real raises from then on.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2607 on: February 07, 2018, 05:24:24 pm »

No.

I thought I was responding to Ed. I know you never did anything to protect America.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2608 on: February 07, 2018, 05:25:15 pm »

Here's what he sees in his head:

He wishes...

That's why he has to pay $130,000 to hookers.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2609 on: February 07, 2018, 05:25:28 pm »

Trump has a big thing about...um...big things.

One plausible reason for a parade would be to commemorate (not celebrate) the end of WW1 on Armistice Day. To my mind, this should be a solemn affair honoring those who gave their lives and limbs, and it should be an object lesson on the horror of modern warfare. But we refuse to learn from the past. If Trump were anywhere near it would be all about him.  

See my above post about parade. I meant that for you.

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org