A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:06:05 am
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1455569 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2565 on: February 05, 2018, 06:33:56 pm »

No, Trump's not fascist. Not even a little bit.

BLUE ASH, Ohio — President Trump on Monday lambasted Democrats who did not applaud as he relayed positive numbers about black and Hispanic unemployment during his State of the Union address, accusing them of being “un-American” and “treasonous.”

“Even on positive news like that, really positive news like that, they were like death and un-American,” Trump said here as he went off script during a speech on tax cuts. “Somebody said ‘treasonous.’ I mean, yeah, I guess, why not? Shall we call that treason? Why not? I mean, they certainly didn’t seem to love our country very much.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-to-visit-ohio-company-that-gave-out-1000-bonuses-following-tax-overhaul/2018/02/05/a2cec73c-0a91-11e8-8b0d-891602206fb7_story.html?utm_term=.a87efcdb5782
joiei
City Father

« Reply #2566 on: February 05, 2018, 06:36:13 pm »

The federal poverty line is at $12,140 for one individual....   That is actually less than minimum wage.

It isn't to $23k until you have between 3-4 kids.

I wouldn't want to try to provide for just myself for $15k...  ($7.25 x 2080 hrs)    That being said, most people should (and can) make more than minimum wage.
Have you factored the taxes out of that $15,000? 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:05:47 am by joiei » Logged

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2567 on: February 05, 2018, 07:56:55 pm »

Even on positive news like that, really positive news like that, they were like death and un-American,” Trump said here as he went off script during a speech on tax cuts. “Somebody said ‘treasonous.’ I mean, yeah, I guess, why not? Shall we call that treason? Why not? I mean, they certainly didn’t seem to love our country very much.”

Once again, substitute "me" for "America" and you come closer to understanding his sick mind. 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2568 on: February 06, 2018, 09:35:32 am »

The federal poverty line is at $12,140 for one individual....   That is actually less than minimum wage.

It isn't to $23k until you have between 3-4 kids.

I wouldn't want to try to provide for just myself for $15k...  ($7.25 x 2080 hrs)    That being said, most people should (and can) make more than minimum wage.

I mixed the family with individual - yeah, $12 k for 1 person.  $24 k for family.

And it still takes nothing from the FACT that the real minimum wage in this country is down by 40% since 1968.  To just have stayed even with NO increase in standard of living it would be right at $15 an hour today.  

And to keep up the tradition of disgusting, vile actions against the lower 90% of Americans, Trump's Labor dept is pushing to allow restaurant owners to take tips from the $2 per hour people to share them with everyone else in the restaurant - meaning the owner!  

How do the Trump fans justify this..??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2569 on: February 06, 2018, 09:37:31 am »

Have you factored the taxes out of that $15,000? 

What taxes... Paul Ryan is crowing about Secretaries getting to keep an extra $1.50 per week!!   

Can't afford bread... let them eat cake!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2570 on: February 06, 2018, 09:46:37 am »

Go ahead and continue to meander about what we were originally discussing. Because A does not mean B, means that Trump, with all his faults may be right some time. And in this case, it's really difficult to be wrong, because as I mentioned, the "best" system is rather subjective. And on the face of it, there appears to be some issues with the British system.

Now, Trump should have kept his mouth shut. But seeing a march demanding more funds for NHS would make most sane minded people think that maybe something isn't working quite right over there.

Just cause you can't keep up, doesn't mean there is meandering.

As for "best"....if there were 1 data point.  Or 2, or even 3, yeah, there may be a subjective component.  NOT when there are 37 data points, ALL of which end up with better overall systems and results.   That is objective, scientific evidence/verification.

As for "demanding more funds" - that is exactly the situation we are seeing here in Okrahoma in the education system.  Right wing extremists cut almost 30% from education.  People are saying we should fund it better.  The right wing extremists then say, "something isn't working quite right..."   That is true - willfully ignorant people are electing willfully dishonest people.

Same thing in UK.  Their right wing extremists got elected by lying to the people and then cut spending by about 65% from a system that was working well.  Then they can say, "demanding more funds for NHS would make most sane minded people think that maybe something isn't working quite right over there."   Same thing IS broken there - willful ignorance electing willful dishonesty.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2571 on: February 06, 2018, 10:04:11 am »

And now for something entirely different....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nLmM9kcBKs

Crazy spoon skills!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2572 on: February 06, 2018, 10:09:36 am »

And now for something even more entirely different...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9FzVhw8_bY&list=RD_nLmM9kcBKs

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2573 on: February 06, 2018, 11:37:21 am »

Hannity says the stock market drop is Obama's fault... as if "cheap money" didn't start with Bush.

So much for personal responsibility for bad Republican policy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/yup-sean-hannity-found-way-043952694.html

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2574 on: February 06, 2018, 02:14:41 pm »

Once again, substitute "me" for "America" and you come closer to understanding his sick mind. 

Kind of refreshing to hear such light-hearted talk after the R's had been called terrorist for nearly a decade.  Wink

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
TeeDub
« Reply #2575 on: February 06, 2018, 02:39:13 pm »

And it still takes nothing from the FACT that the real minimum wage in this country is down by 40% since 1968.  To just have stayed even with NO increase in standard of living it would be right at $15 an hour today.  

I am curious about your "FACT".

Why do you arbitrarily choose 1968?   Why not 1948 or 1988?    Oh...  That's why...

Advocates of a higher minimum wage arbitrarily selected 1968 as the historical reference point. It’s no wonder: That’s when federal minimum wage hit its inflation-adjusted high point.

How about picking other arbitrary years to track the minimum wage and inflation? If you used 1948 instead of 1968, the minimum wage’s inflation-adjusted value would only be $4.21 an hour. If you chose 1988, the adjusted minimum wage would be $8.12 an hour.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2576 on: February 06, 2018, 03:17:02 pm »

The best people!

Flu season is all in our heads, Texas televangelist says: 'Inoculate yourself with the word of God'

- Trump faith advisor Gloria Copeland

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/faith/2018/02/06/flu-season-heads-texas-televangelist-says-inoculate-word-god
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2577 on: February 06, 2018, 05:25:10 pm »

I am curious about your "FACT".

Why do you arbitrarily choose 1968?   Why not 1948 or 1988?    Oh...  That's why...

Advocates of a higher minimum wage arbitrarily selected 1968 as the historical reference point. It’s no wonder: That’s when federal minimum wage hit its inflation-adjusted high point.

How about picking other arbitrary years to track the minimum wage and inflation? If you used 1948 instead of 1968, the minimum wage’s inflation-adjusted value would only be $4.21 an hour. If you chose 1988, the adjusted minimum wage would be $8.12 an hour.

It was the high point in our history.  It meant that everybody was actually sharing in that whole, "rising tide lifts all boats" thing that we hear so much about from the right wing extremists to try to cover what they are really doing.  It meant we were growing into the most powerful nation and economy the world has seen with most getting benefit instead of not. 

And your condescending dismissal of that point would seem to imply that maybe you are one of those top percenter's who may not get the type of extreme raises they are used to if the system suddenly went back to that point.  Maybe would only get 100 times the raises instead of 250 times....

Or the "trickle down" lie that they spew - pissing on the average American's back and trying to get them to believe it's raining.

It was the peak of the "American Dream" for most.  

If you want to believe in the RWRE fantasy, go right ahead - somebodies got to be drinking that Kook-Aid, or we would have real wage growth, not 40% reduction. for most.   Good that you are doing so much better than most other people.  It's just a shame that most people don't get to share in that "dream"... but it really has been just a fantasy for the majority anyway, so why change now?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:28:38 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2578 on: February 06, 2018, 05:30:15 pm »

Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-Va.) criticized President Trump to his face on Tuesday for saying he would “love to see a shutdown” during a meeting with lawmakers and administration officials.
http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/372580-gop-lawmaker-criticizes-trump-to-his-face-for-inviting-shutdown

How many times does this make where Trump cheered on government shutdowns? 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2579 on: February 06, 2018, 06:08:46 pm »

It was the high point in our history.

Not to quibble with the overall argument, but 1968 is the high point in US history?

- Vietnam: Tet Offensive, Mai Lai, generally anti-war protests everywhere...
- Nixon Elected
- MLK shot
- Robert Kennedy shot

Generally,  I think of the years between about 1967-1975 as years the US managed simply to survive through.

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org