A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:19:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1468972 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1665 on: September 24, 2017, 09:48:55 am »

Our brave soldiers didn't fight and die so that everyone stood during the national anthem. They fought so people could have the right to make a choice about whether or not they wanted to stand. That's the whole damn point of the First Amendment.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/23/politics/donald-trump-nfl-nba/index.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1666 on: September 24, 2017, 11:16:30 am »

It pathetic that Trump is more worried about NFL players standing during the anthem then he is Puerto Rico and the millions of Americans without power or water or shelter.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1667 on: September 24, 2017, 12:19:14 pm »

Here's how you solve it. It's a poem converted to a song written by a rich whitey slave owner who should have his name removed from everything and statues stuffed in a museum and then quit singing the song. Problem solved, that way no ones offended. Besides no on can sing it anyway.

Key used his position as U.S. Attorney to suppress abolitionists. In 1833, he secured a grand jury indictment against Benjamin Lundy, editor of the anti-slavery publication, the Genius of Universal Emancipation, and his printer, William Greer, for libel after Lundy published an article that declared, "There is neither mercy nor justice for colored people in this district [of Columbia]". Lundy's article, Key said in the indictment, "was intended to injure, oppress, aggrieve, and vilify the good name, fame, credit & reputation of the Magistrates and constables" of Washington. Lundy left town rather than face trial; Greer was acquitted.
In August 1836, Key agreed to prosecute botanist and doctor Reuben Crandall, brother of controversial Connecticut school teacher Prudence Crandall, who had recently moved to the national capital. Key secured an indictment for "seditious libel" after two marshals (who operated as slave catchers in their off hours) found Crandall had a trunk full of anti-slavery publications in his Georgetown residence, five days after the Snow Riot, caused by rumors that a mentally ill slave had attempted to kill an elderly white woman. In an April 1837 trial that attracted nationwide attention, Key charged that Crandall's actions instigated slaves to rebel. Crandall's attorneys acknowledged he opposed slavery, but denied any intent or actions to encourage rebellion. Key, in his final address to the jury said:
"Are you willing, gentlemen, to abandon your country, to permit it to be taken from you, and occupied by the abolitionist, according to whose taste it is to associate and amalgamate with the negro? Or, gentlemen, on the other hand, are there laws in this community to defend you from the immediate abolitionist, who would open upon you the floodgates of such extensive wickedness and mischief?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Scott_Key

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XffxvV1PAEI
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:21:41 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1668 on: September 24, 2017, 12:25:13 pm »

It pathetic that Trump is more worried about NFL players standing during the anthem then he is Puerto Rico and the millions of Americans without power or water or shelter.

Have you donated to any of the hurricane relief funds? How about to any of the funds for those that lost everything in one of the many forest fires? Oklahoma tornado victims fund?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1669 on: September 24, 2017, 12:37:30 pm »

Have you donated to any of the hurricane relief funds? How about to any of the funds for those that lost everything in one of the many forest fires? Oklahoma tornado victims fund?

Yes.

Has Trump? I mean with his own money.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1670 on: September 25, 2017, 08:10:49 am »

Also yes.

But what has one got to do with the other?  I (personally) don't care if Trump has donated any of his personal money to hurricane relief.  I DO care how he acts as President.   His position and actions are either ego politics, or playing to his racist base.  Either way, it's terrible.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1671 on: September 25, 2017, 08:50:30 am »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/09/25/of-course-trumps-outrage-at-the-nfl-protests-had-to-do-with-race

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #1672 on: September 25, 2017, 10:16:18 am »

I didn't know that only blacks were spoiled brats.  Wink

Honestly I think a lot of this has a lot less to do with race and a lot more to do with a lot of other factors. Economic standing being the most prevalent in my mind.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1673 on: September 25, 2017, 10:27:27 am »

I didn't know that only blacks were spoiled brats.  Wink

Honestly I think a lot of this has a lot less to do with race and a lot more to do with a lot of other factors. Economic standing being the most prevalent in my mind.

No, it's race. He called out predominantly black players in the NFL and NBA for not being "grateful" and for disrespecting American "heritage", both are the kind of statements that the White Power people see and use. He did this on purpose. Screw him.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #1674 on: September 25, 2017, 10:45:10 am »

No, it's race. He called out predominantly black players in the NFL and NBA for not being "grateful" and for disrespecting American "heritage", both are the kind of statements that the White Power people see and use. He did this on purpose. Screw him.

I believe he pointed out people who were kneeling, which some people construe as being disrespectful, no matter how legal it is.

Now that being said, Trump should have kept his yapper shut, just like Obama should have kept it shut when he said cops were "acting stupidly". I seem to recall that statement not being taken as racist.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:46:53 am by erfalf » Logged

rebound
City Father

« Reply #1675 on: September 25, 2017, 11:52:29 am »

I believe he pointed out people who were kneeling, which some people construe as being disrespectful, no matter how legal it is.

Now that being said, Trump should have kept his yapper shut, just like Obama should have kept it shut when he said cops were "acting stupidly". I seem to recall that statement not being taken as racist.

Obama did catch flack for that comment, if I remember correctly.  But, you do get the difference right?   Given Trumps history with race-related things, it is difficult argue that race was not implicitly part of his comments.   Also, of course, he could have made a more nuanced argument and gone out of his way to clarify....    Sorry, forgot who I was writing about for a second there.   

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #1676 on: September 25, 2017, 11:59:11 am »

Obama did catch flack for that comment, if I remember correctly.  But, you do get the difference right?   Given Trumps history with race-related things, it is difficult argue that race was not implicitly part of his comments.   Also, of course, he could have made a more nuanced argument and gone out of his way to clarify....    Sorry, forgot who I was writing about for a second there.   

Fair enough. But literally the same thing could be said about Obama's history and comment, yet he's brilliant and harmonious, and Trump, well....

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1677 on: September 25, 2017, 12:01:53 pm »

Fair enough. But literally the same thing could be said about Obama's history and comment, yet he's brilliant and harmonious, and Trump, well....

Say it out loud..."Trump is brilliant and harmonious."
TeeDub
« Reply #1678 on: September 25, 2017, 12:21:08 pm »

Could it also be that the Obama administration paid the NFL to act patriotic?

I know it's an old story, and people ahve short attention spans, but hey...   
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2015/11/06/Department-of-Defense-paid-53-million-to-pro-sports-for-military-tributes-report-says/stories/201511060140
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1679 on: September 25, 2017, 02:15:07 pm »

That false comparison is an ineffective diversion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/07/08/why-so-many-critics-of-president-obama-insist-that-he-hates-police-officers/?utm_term=.1766262c14f9

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org