A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:55:31 pm
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1472813 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #435 on: February 18, 2017, 03:53:42 pm »

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #436 on: February 19, 2017, 08:54:36 am »

Day 31 of the smile show:

I saw that Herr Trump posted a request for people to take a survey in what was called a 'mainstream media accountability survey'.  However, things didn't go quite his way on this, as the poll didn't live up to what he expected (you can read that as more than just HIS supporters/followers took the poll).  What did he expect?  He asked 'Americans' to take it.  His respsonse?

While in Florida yesterday during his 'rally' (hey Donny, you won...hasn't anyone told you this?) he alluded to some nefarious incident in Sweden happening.  From a Swedish media outlet, here is what they say happened in their country.

This morning on Meet the Press, John McCain (yes that John McCain) had the following to say during a discussion with Chuck Todd:

"I hate the press, I hate you especially, but the fact is we need you, we need a free press," John McCain told Chuck Todd.
"I'm not saying President Trump is trying to be a dictator, I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."

But I'm sure many in this state would call McCain a RINO.  That took incredible courage and love of country above party to say.  Of course that's my opinion.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #437 on: February 19, 2017, 12:40:01 pm »

But the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor in Sweden yesterday. Everybody knows that.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #438 on: February 19, 2017, 03:25:39 pm »

But the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor in Sweden yesterday. Everybody knows that.

LOL.  Nice Animal House reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #439 on: February 20, 2017, 10:57:42 am »

Day 31 of the smile show:

I saw that Herr Trump posted a request for people to take a survey in what was called a 'mainstream media accountability survey'.  However, things didn't go quite his way on this, as the poll didn't live up to what he expected (you can read that as more than just HIS supporters/followers took the poll).  What did he expect?  He asked 'Americans' to take it.  His respsonse?

While in Florida yesterday during his 'rally' (hey Donny, you won...hasn't anyone told you this?) he alluded to some nefarious incident in Sweden happening.  From a Swedish media outlet, here is what they say happened in their country.

This morning on Meet the Press, John McCain (yes that John McCain) had the following to say during a discussion with Chuck Todd:

"I hate the press, I hate you especially, but the fact is we need you, we need a free press," John McCain told Chuck Todd.
"I'm not saying President Trump is trying to be a dictator, I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."

But I'm sure many in this state would call McCain a RINO.  That took incredible courage and love of country above party to say.  Of course that's my opinion.

What McCain said and what Trump says about the press in my eyes are perfectly in line with each other, they both hate the press, But in yours one is heroic, and the other a dictator?

Please describe to me exactly how Trump has been hindering the "free press". I really would like to know. Presidents have long tried to control the press or release what they thought would best suit them. Trump is (STILL) not unique on this front. Roosevelt had polio, yet no one knew. Was he a dictator because he controlled the message (well, maybe a bad example)?

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #440 on: February 20, 2017, 11:01:17 am »

What McCain said and what Trump says about the press in my eyes are perfectly in line with each other, they both hate the press, But in yours one is heroic, and the other a dictator?

Please describe to me exactly how Trump has been hindering the "free press". I really would like to know. Presidents have long tried to control the press or release what they thought would best suit them. Trump is (STILL) not unique on this front. Roosevelt had polio, yet no one knew. Was he a dictator because he controlled the message (well, maybe a bad example)?

Yep, continue to fall in line.

The difference is that no President has EVER called the press the 'enemy of the American people'.  Not even Nixon did that, although at the end I'm pretty sure he probably thought it.

Wow.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #441 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:31 am »

Yep, continue to fall in line.

The difference is that no President has EVER called the press the 'enemy of the American people'.  Not even Nixon did that, although at the end I'm pretty sure he probably thought it.

Wow.

Exactly.    Also, the term "Fake News" is also far more dangerous than it might first seem.  It's used as a classic gaslighting technique
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting)  and is an attempt to discredit ALL news, not just the actual and real fabrications.  Muddy the waters, confuse people, and tell them the only person they should believe is HIM.   Honestly scary. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #442 on: February 20, 2017, 11:26:07 am »

Also, with regards to FDR, there was a gentleman's agreement between FDR and the press corps not to show him in a wheelchair or in such a way as to show weakness with regards to the US leader.  That's a whole lot different than what Bronzer Overload is doing here.  He's essentially calling the Fourth Estate the enemy and trying to wage war on it.

Putin did this same exact thing in the first year of his leadership by suing the press many times and essentially getting them to fall in line...Pravda-style.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #443 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:55 am »

Actually, the press did talk about his disability.  TIME even published a photo of FDR in his wheelchair:
http://ideas.time.com/2013/07/12/the-myth-of-fdrs-secret-disability/

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #444 on: February 20, 2017, 11:55:01 am »

Actually, the press did talk about his disability.  TIME even published a photo of FDR in his wheelchair:
http://ideas.time.com/2013/07/12/the-myth-of-fdrs-secret-disability/

My point being was that he didn't strong-arm the press into hiding it.  And that was the exact article I sourced for the gentleman's agreement.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #445 on: February 20, 2017, 12:02:12 pm »

FWIW Nixon did refer to the press as the enemy. In Nixon's world they were because facts were facts back then.

onward...through the fog
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #446 on: February 20, 2017, 12:08:52 pm »

So the concern is that Twitter comments are going to shut down the press. Got it.

Using the term Fake News is only dangerous because the "press" can't seem to fact check their own smile at a pretty alarming rate. You know how people grumble and moan that preception isn't reality. Well, there is a reason that the perception exist in most circumstances.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #447 on: February 20, 2017, 12:19:19 pm »

So the concern is that Twitter comments are going to shut down the press. Got it.

Using the term Fake News is only dangerous because the "press" can't seem to fact check their own smile at a pretty alarming rate. You know how people grumble and moan that preception isn't reality. Well, there is a reason that the perception exist in most circumstances.

Jeez.  The twitter comments?

He's been saying them out on the campaign tr...wait, hasn't someone told this guy he won?  He can't stand it when he's not in the spotlight, so he throws tantrums like the press conference last week.

His Chief of Staff has also reaffirmed it.

Glad to know you are a gullible Trump supporter...or at least you appear to be.

This country has voted a 5 year old into office.  Sad.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #448 on: February 20, 2017, 12:20:10 pm »

Jeez.  The twitter comments?

He's been saying them out on the campaign tr...wait, hasn't someone told this guy he won?  He can't stand it when he's not in the spotlight, so he throws tantrums like the press conference last week.

His Chief of Staff has also reaffirmed it.

Glad to know you are a gullible Trump supporter...or at least you appear to be.

This country has voted a 5 year old into office.  Sad.

About as gullible as believing this duffus could really "shut down the press" by making it an enemy. Come off it.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #449 on: February 20, 2017, 12:21:32 pm »

About as gullible as believing this duffus could really "shut down the press" by making it an enemy. Come off it.

I never said he could.  I'm saying we need to, as McCain said, look to history.  Clairvoyant?  You only need to look as far back as Putin as I alluded to.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org