A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:57:12 pm
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1455237 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2017, 04:11:43 pm »

My big concern right now is his want to repeal the Johnson Amendment.  I'm all for that, as long as churches start paying taxes.  I can think of one 'church' right now that would fight that tooth and nail.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #331 on: February 03, 2017, 04:56:51 pm »

My big concern right now is his want to repeal the Johnson Amendment.  I'm all for that, as long as churches start paying taxes.  I can think of one 'church' right now that would fight that tooth and nail.

So...you don't go to church do you?  I am still looking so attend different places from time to time.  Have been to several last year where there was open endorsement going on regularly.  Needless to say, none of the above!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2017, 06:59:12 pm »

In what way did what Trump do make us safer than what Obama was doing?

Didn't say what he was doing made us safer, couldn't say that since we don't know if that is true or not. What I have said is I supported President Obama and I support Trump in this area. The difference that I see is proactive vs reactive.

President Obama put into place the restrictions due to the two individuals that slipped through the cracks, ended up in Kentucky and was later to be found to have placed roadside bombs in Iraq targeting US troops. His was a reaction to a vetting process that failed.

Trump is proactive with a 120 day timeline to fix the broken vetting process. Just how that will be fixed is beyond me since I see no fixes for anything in the near future.

Also, let me make this clear. I am not a die hard Trump supporter. I said it here in the past and I will say it again. He is, in my opinion, Sheep in wolves clothing. My entire point was pertaining to the ban, what the differences were and why when President Obama did it that no one was outraged like they are today when Trump signed bans. Yes yes, I know, stupid ol me, I no not math, I didn't gradumatate third grade....

So explain to me just how President Obama determined what people belonged to what group and from where? How do you do that? Really, this is not a sarcastic question. Do you just take the words of the people attempting to enter the US? Do you take the fake papers that he himself talked about and inadvertently allow two guys proved to be bombers later into the country? How do you properly vet certain groups or individuals?

President Obama did the right thing by taking a step back and attempting to fix this. Trump is doing the right thing by taking 120 days to come up with a vetting solution.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2017, 07:39:56 pm »

Didn't say what he was doing made us safer, couldn't say that since we don't know if that is true or not. What I have said is I supported President Obama and I support Trump in this area. The difference that I see is proactive vs reactive.

President Obama put into place the restrictions due to the two individuals that slipped through the cracks, ended up in Kentucky and was later to be found to have placed roadside bombs in Iraq targeting US troops. His was a reaction to a vetting process that failed.

Trump is proactive with a 120 day timeline to fix the broken vetting process. Just how that will be fixed is beyond me since I see no fixes for anything in the near future.

Also, let me make this clear. I am not a die hard Trump supporter. I said it here in the past and I will say it again. He is, in my opinion, Sheep in wolves clothing. My entire point was pertaining to the ban, what the differences were and why when President Obama did it that no one was outraged like they are today when Trump signed bans. Yes yes, I know, stupid ol me, I no not math, I didn't gradumatate third grade....

So explain to me just how President Obama determined what people belonged to what group and from where? How do you do that? Really, this is not a sarcastic question. Do you just take the words of the people attempting to enter the US? Do you take the fake papers that he himself talked about and inadvertently allow two guys proved to be bombers later into the country? How do you properly vet certain groups or individuals?

President Obama did the right thing by taking a step back and attempting to fix this. Trump is doing the right thing by taking 120 days to come up with a vetting solution.

How is the current vetting process broken?
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2017, 08:10:57 pm »

How is the current vetting process broken?

Some officials, including FBI Director James Comey, worry there are what Comey has called "gaps" in the vetting process. Experts say U.S. intelligence in Syria isn't very good, because the U.S. lacks much of a presence on the ground. So there's no way to compile a thorough watch list of possible terrorists from Syria against which refugees can be checked.

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/17/456395388/paris-attacks-ignite-debate-over-u-s-refugee-policy

Federal agents are reinvestigating the backgrounds of dozens of Syrian refugees already in the United States after discovering a lapse in vetting that allowed some who had potentially negative information in their files to enter the country, two U.S. law enforcement officials said.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-syria-refugees-vetting-gap-20170125-story.html

How it is broke I do not know, but as you can see by NPR and by LA Times, serious issues are there. Do you not see an issue?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2017, 08:43:12 pm »

Some officials, including FBI Director James Comey, worry there are what Comey has called "gaps" in the vetting process. Experts say U.S. intelligence in Syria isn't very good, because the U.S. lacks much of a presence on the ground. So there's no way to compile a thorough watch list of possible terrorists from Syria against which refugees can be checked.

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/17/456395388/paris-attacks-ignite-debate-over-u-s-refugee-policy

Federal agents are reinvestigating the backgrounds of dozens of Syrian refugees already in the United States after discovering a lapse in vetting that allowed some who had potentially negative information in their files to enter the country, two U.S. law enforcement officials said.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-syria-refugees-vetting-gap-20170125-story.html

How it is broke I do not know, but as you can see by NPR and by LA Times, serious issues are there. Do you not see an issue?

So how many Americans have been killed in terrorist attacks by refugees or immigrants from those seven nations since Obama redid the vetting process in 2011?

Zero.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2017, 10:59:46 pm »

So how many Americans have been killed in terrorist attacks by refugees or immigrants from those seven nations since Obama redid the vetting process in 2011?

Zero.

So far.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2017, 11:02:04 pm »

So far.

That we know about.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #338 on: February 07, 2017, 08:15:30 am »

Good lord, you are far more likely to be killed by a lightning strike or a shark attack than a terrorist, and that's including the right wing wackos. You take a far greater risk getting into a car and driving than your risk of harm in a terrorist attack, many, many times a greater risk.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #339 on: February 07, 2017, 10:32:39 am »

Good lord, you are far more likely to be killed by a lightning strike or a shark attack than a terrorist, and that's including the right wing wackos. You take a far greater risk getting into a car and driving than your risk of harm in a terrorist attack, many, many times a greater risk.

I don't disagree, but that is an illogical argument to an illogical (but legitimate) fear.    People are always more comfortable with risk when they get the choice of whether to take the risk.   (Don't like sharks, stay out of the water. Fear a car wreck? Don't ride in a car, etc...)   Terrorism, or at least the emotional consideration of terrorism, has nothing to do with an action on the person's part.  There is no assumed risk.  Of course it is illogical, but so are a lot fears. It does not dismiss their legitimacy regarding how the public feels.

But again, I agree with your general position.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #340 on: February 07, 2017, 10:55:05 am »

As long as people keep pretending assuring us the random attacks around Europe, San Bernardino, Orlando, Boston, Ft. Hood, the Twin Towers, Pentagon, etc. were not inspired all or in part by radical Islam or radical Islamic thought then most certainly this is a big to-do about nothing.

For some reason, those seven countries ended up on Obama’s list and Trump’s list as being problematic.  I don’t have the sort of security clearance to make an educated decision as to whether or not better vetting is needed of immigrants from these countries. 

I just figured everyone who is losing their sh!t over this is because it’s a foregone conclusion Trump is a racist, misogynist, bigot, xeno/homophobe and national security would be of minimal interest to him unless it coincides with his personal business interests.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #341 on: February 07, 2017, 12:26:28 pm »

I still don't know what extreme vetting changes.  They don't have a clue what they are doing other than they are going to change things.  Maybe its better.. Maybe its worse. They could have rolled this out with minimal news coverage but they wanted to get global attention by the mass chaos. 
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #342 on: February 07, 2017, 12:37:16 pm »

I don't disagree, but that is an illogical argument to an illogical (but legitimate) fear.    People are always more comfortable with risk when they get the choice of whether to take the risk.   (Don't like sharks, stay out of the water. Fear a car wreck? Don't ride in a car, etc...)   Terrorism, or at least the emotional consideration of terrorism, has nothing to do with an action on the person's part.  There is no assumed risk.  Of course it is illogical, but so are a lot fears. It does not dismiss their legitimacy regarding how the public feels.

But again, I agree with your general position.

Life is deadly. Whether its a lightning bolt or a recluse spider or a plane dropping out of the sky and falling on you, the percentages are always going to be used in an argument like that. It is legitimate. You really don't have the choice to not take those risks. Terrorism is just a part of life that also has nothing to do with action on the person's part. One must assume all of life is a deadly risk. Once you realize that there is no safety, then you can start to assign the relative risk. Terrorism of all kinds has less effect on ones safety than weather related risks and you cannot responsibly spend more money and effort to defend against terrorism than against a hurricane. But, I also agree that the how the public "feels" is also a consideration politically.

onward...through the fog
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #343 on: February 07, 2017, 01:57:15 pm »

But the perception is (correct or not) by and large something CAN be done about it. Whereas a lightning strike, not so much. Airplanes, we take measures to reduce that. The perception is shared by many that something MORE could be done to alleviate this risk.

Sometimes politics has to deal with perception more than reality.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #344 on: February 07, 2017, 02:35:00 pm »

They could have rolled this out with minimal news coverage but they wanted to get global attention by the mass chaos. 

Or ratings.  Sometimes it seems he is still looking at the presidency as if it were a reality TV show.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org