A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:47:45 pm
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1455100 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2400 on: January 15, 2018, 10:49:24 am »

Not voting is out of the question. I've voted in every POTUS election since 1984 and missed very few lesser elections.

I'm hoping a sane centrist will pop up out of the GOP or the Democrat Party.  I'm not sure there are any left though.  I know it's generally considered bad form for a party to put up opposing primary candidates against the WH incumbent but Trump is so unpopular, I could see there being some opposition.  I guess we should start hearing some noise about potential candidates later this year.

Which is unfortunate, because it's always been my belief that some sort of law should be on the books to keep Presidential candidates from declaring until the calendar year of the election.  When they can declare two or even three years out, which has been done,  I believe the public gets what I call 'candidate exhaustion', where you get sick of hearing all the spinning from both sides.  At least limit it to the 11 months before the actual election.  I'm sure my opinion isn't popular though.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2401 on: January 15, 2018, 10:52:42 am »

Which is unfortunate, because it's always been my belief that some sort of law should be on the books to keep Presidential candidates from declaring until the calendar year of the election.  When they can declare two or even three years out, which has been done,  I believe the public gets what I call 'candidate exhaustion', where you get sick of hearing all the spinning from both sides.  At least limit it to the 11 months before the actual election.  I'm sure my opinion isn't popular though.

Could not agree more.  The GOP also did itself no favors by not trying to discourage so many candidates last time who had ZERO chance of getting the nomination.  When you have that many extremists and party hard-liners, no wonder an assclown like Trump who portrayed himself as the ultimate outsider can rise to the top.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2402 on: January 15, 2018, 12:54:18 pm »

Not voting is out of the question. I've voted in every POTUS election since 1984 and missed very few lesser elections.

I'm hoping a sane centrist will pop up out of the GOP or the Democrat Party.  I'm not sure there are any left though.  I know it's generally considered bad form for a party to put up opposing primary candidates against the WH incumbent but Trump is so unpopular, I could see there being some opposition.  I guess we should start hearing some noise about potential candidates later this year.

I know... your waking up time frame mentioned would mean missing the election - I know you wouldn't do that!

I could live with Romney.  Or even Biden.   Never happen, but even Hillary is a sane alternative to the clown show going on now.

Too many extremists getting the attention of candidates.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2403 on: January 16, 2018, 11:06:20 am »

Much as I would not want to see the parties return to the proverbial smoke filled room when selecting a candidate, I have to wonder if it would be preferable to a primary system that gives disproportionate weight to the most extreme voters, voters who reliably show up, unlike more moderate ones. Perhaps the Trump administration and its excesses will be a wake up call for them. Perhaps.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2404 on: January 16, 2018, 12:54:59 pm »

Much as I would not want to see the parties return to the proverbial smoke filled room when selecting a candidate, I have to wonder if it would be preferable to a primary system that gives disproportionate weight to the most extreme voters, voters who reliably show up, unlike more moderate ones. Perhaps the Trump administration and its excesses will be a wake up call for them. Perhaps.

Coupled with the difficulties being put in the path of people trying to vote, it is little wonder that so many don't.  It is the most massive abdication of one's responsibilities as a citizen that you can do, next to not serving on jury duty.

In like manner that a natural born person is a citizen - like Obama and even John McCain - a citizen person should automatically be eligible to vote and registration occurs automatically through the records system when one reaches age 18.  Assuming no disqualifying events are in play, like unresolved felony convictions.

There is no excuse for a person NOT to be automatically registered just by the fact of their birth.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TeeDub
« Reply #2405 on: January 16, 2018, 03:04:46 pm »

There is no excuse for a person NOT to be automatically registered just by the fact of their birth.

I think the only reason you need to register is so that:

1.  "They" know you are only registering once.
2.  "They" know which precinct to put you into so that you vote for the relevant items on the ballot.

It isn't hard to register and you can do it for free whenever you get a license/identification card.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2406 on: January 16, 2018, 04:26:21 pm »

I think the only reason you need to register is so that:

1.  "They" know you are only registering once.
2.  "They" know which precinct to put you into so that you vote for the relevant items on the ballot.

It isn't hard to register and you can do it for free whenever you get a license/identification card.

Birth certificate should be the controlling document.  if you were born a citizen, you vote.   Naturalized gotta go through the motions, since they don't have citizen birth certificate.  Everyone else should be automatically eligible and automatically registered from birth in the address of birth.  If ya move, then must submit change of address, just like with post office, and it happens - could be tied to new drivers license if going to new state, if wanted to make it work smoothly.  (But since ya can't make an unwieldy bureaucracy out of "smooth", it probably won't happen.)

The ONLY reason to make it any more complicated is to try to limit the right to vote.   Period.   And that is wrong.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:28:14 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2407 on: January 16, 2018, 04:39:19 pm »

Birth certificate should be the controlling document.  if you were born a citizen, you vote.   Naturalized gotta go through the motions, since they don't have citizen birth certificate.  Everyone else should be automatically eligible and automatically registered from birth in the address of birth.  If ya move, then must submit change of address, just like with post office, and it happens - could be tied to new drivers license if going to new state, if wanted to make it work smoothly.  (But since ya can't make an unwieldy bureaucracy out of "smooth", it probably won't happen.)

The ONLY reason to make it any more complicated is to try to limit the right to vote.   Period.   And that is wrong.

There are some countries that require every citizen to vote that are legally allowed to vote,  Australia comes to mind.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2408 on: January 16, 2018, 05:15:36 pm »

There are some countries that require every citizen to vote that are legally allowed to vote,  Australia comes to mind.

Two fundamental rights of citizenship are also the two most important fundamental responsibilities.  Voting and jury duty.  Pretty much everything else is optional...do it or not as you see fit, but you are obligated to those two from your position as citizen.  If ya don't wanna do that, then renounce and move to another country.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2409 on: January 16, 2018, 06:31:36 pm »

Two fundamental rights of citizenship are also the two most important fundamental responsibilities.  Voting and jury duty.  Pretty much everything else is optional...do it or not as you see fit, but you are obligated to those two from your position as citizen.  If ya don't wanna do that, then renounce and move to another country.

Dumbest post of the month. My gosh you have no idea the underpinnings of the rights we have.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2410 on: January 16, 2018, 07:07:42 pm »

Coupled with the difficulties being put in the path of people trying to vote, it is little wonder that so many don't.  It is the most massive abdication of one's responsibilities as a citizen that you can do, next to not serving on jury duty.

In like manner that a natural born person is a citizen - like Obama and even John McCain - a citizen person should automatically be eligible to vote and registration occurs automatically through the records system when one reaches age 18.  Assuming no disqualifying events are in play, like unresolved felony convictions.

I don't see there being any more of a hardship being able to register to vote than there is to obtain a driver's license, car tag, state ID, or one's legal responsibility to register for Selective Service.  If anything it is less of a hassle.  And yes, I do believe one needs to prove who they are when they arrive at the polls to vote.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2411 on: January 16, 2018, 07:40:53 pm »

I don't see there being any more of a hardship being able to register to vote than there is to obtain a driver's license, car tag, state ID, or one's legal responsibility to register for Selective Service.  If anything it is less of a hassle.  And yes, I do believe one needs to prove who they are when they arrive at the polls to vote.

I've said this a hundred times if I've said it once...making someone pay for ID to prove who they are at the polls is the same as a poll tax.  Make voter registration have photos on them.  Make them free as an option.  Problem solved.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2412 on: January 16, 2018, 08:21:40 pm »

I've said this a hundred times if I've said it once...making someone pay for ID to prove who they are at the polls is the same as a poll tax.  Make voter registration have photos on them.  Make them free as an option.  Problem solved.

Voter registration cards are free last time I checked.  Adding a photo would be a great idea if it could be used as a recognized form of state issued ID.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2413 on: January 16, 2018, 08:31:57 pm »

Voter registration cards are free last time I checked.  Adding a photo would be a great idea if it could be used as a recognized form of state issued ID.

Might encourage people to register to vote.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2414 on: January 16, 2018, 08:48:56 pm »

That's exactly what I'm getting at.  Make it so you don't have to pay for a state DMV issued ID.

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org