A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:47:06 am
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1455409 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2280 on: December 18, 2017, 12:31:33 pm »

And then rules were past for Net Neutrality that removed the fear and we were all able to move on to something else...until now.

You are exaggerating. or misunderstanding what NN does. But whatever. NN good, no NN bad. I get it. It's just that I don't believe that the bad is 50 bazillion times worse than the reality of 2 years ago.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2281 on: December 18, 2017, 01:40:48 pm »

In fairness to me, my evidence is pretty strong. I mean we were sans NN for years upon years upon years and yet very little occurred that was even close to what you all are predicting. There was some trying to throttle, but as I have mentioned, public pressure basically forced them to not to anymore. The consumer will be the ultimate judge of what is and is not fair. And with more options than ever before, the consumer is really holding more of the cards than they ever have before.

You sure about that? Maybe it was a case of you not paying attention.

https://www.vox.com/2014/5/5/5683642/five-big-internet-providers-are-slowing-down-internet-access-until

https://technical.ly/philly/2014/05/09/graph-shows-netflix-speeds-changed-comcast-deal-comcast-roundup/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/charter-points-fccs-net-neutrality-repeal-lawsuit-alleging-netflix-throttling-1062035

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/21/verizon-caught-throttling-netflix-youtube-says-testing-video-optimization-tech/

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/186576-verizon-caught-throttling-netflix-traffic-even-after-its-pays-for-more-bandwidth

https://www.wired.com/2009/10/iphone-att-skype/

https://www.wired.com/2012/09/factime-fcc-flap/

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/06/technology/verizon_blocks_google_wallet/index.htm

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2282 on: December 18, 2017, 02:55:25 pm »

Yet they were all resolved without Net Neutrality.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2283 on: December 18, 2017, 03:24:20 pm »

Yet they were all resolved without Net Neutrality.

Yeah, but since the ISP were trying so much shady crap, wouldn’t it be good to have a clear cut set of rules that lets the ISPs clearly know what is and isn’t allowed?

That was NN.

And it is now gone.
TeeDub
« Reply #2284 on: December 18, 2017, 04:14:37 pm »

Hopefully we look back on network neutrality and say "whew, much ado about nothing."

In the meantime, as long as you can change providers, you have at least some recourse.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2285 on: December 18, 2017, 04:16:42 pm »

Yeah, but since the ISP were trying so much shady crap, wouldn’t it be good to have a clear cut set of rules that lets the ISPs clearly know what is and isn’t allowed?

That was NN.

And it is now gone.

We could eliminate many traffic fatalities by having a government agent in every vehicle. That doesn't mean we should.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2286 on: December 18, 2017, 04:27:04 pm »

We could eliminate many traffic fatalities by having a government agent in every vehicle. That doesn't mean we should.

Having clear and fair rules on internet content access from ISPs is equal to having a government agent in every car to enforce traffic laws?

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2287 on: December 18, 2017, 04:35:29 pm »

Having clear and fair rules on internet content access from ISPs is equal to having a government agent in every car to enforce traffic laws?

It means we have the tools to do what NN purports to do already. Adding another regulatory body is just busy work and unnecessary.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #2288 on: December 18, 2017, 04:38:08 pm »

Adding another regulatory body is just busy work and unnecessary.

The FCC already exists... "The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories."
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2289 on: December 18, 2017, 04:47:48 pm »

The FCC already exists... "The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories."

Poor choice of words. We don't need new rules, when the old ones worked just fine. Or at least they appear to work for all the hypotheticals I hear.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2290 on: December 18, 2017, 07:22:55 pm »

Poor choice of words. We don't need new rules, when the old ones worked just fine. Or at least they appear to work for all the hypotheticals I hear.

The old rules did work ok, not great. But they were overturned in a court case in 2014 brought by Verizon specifically to allow those behaviors. The court said the rules were inconsistent and overturned them leading the 2015 NN rule that was just overturned. All those bad behaviors are now allowed.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2291 on: December 19, 2017, 09:14:10 am »

Your advocacy of clogging the courts with even more lawsuits is admirable...to a lawyer.   While defined regulations won't eliminate all litigation, it was/would be reduced, leaving the court for more important things like determining whether Oklahoma laws are unconstitutional or not...lol.  Like any of them aren't.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2292 on: December 19, 2017, 10:45:59 am »

Tweet first and get the facts later.

President Trump said Monday's Amtrak derailment in Washington state shows the need for increased infrastructure investments. He tweeted: "Seven trillion dollars spent in the Middle East while our roads, bridges, tunnels, railways (and more) crumble! Not for long!" But the tracks where the accident occurred were actually brand new.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amtrak-derailment-washington-critics-warned-high-speed-route-dangerous/

Yes, the same Trump who cut AMTRAK's funding in the latest budget (as well as Obama-era safety requirements).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #2293 on: December 19, 2017, 11:30:42 am »

(as well as Obama-era safety requirements).

"government power-grab"
/s
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2294 on: December 20, 2017, 02:23:46 pm »

Gonna break out a bottle of champagne tonight and celebrate another $1.5 trillion in national debt !!   And most importantly, huge tax cuts for the richest!!

But at least it wasn't Hillary...!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org