A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:40:48 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cameron and N. Detroit Streetscaping  (Read 6050 times)
buffalodan
Activist

« on: November 07, 2016, 09:57:42 am »

Just saw this https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/700073/164003%20half%20size.pdf on the website. Doing the street along Gypsy Coffeehouse, and adding RRFBs  to facilitate ped movements across MLK and Detroit. They put bump-outs at the corners they touched, but curious why they didn't install the bumpout along the east side of Detroit. They have parking there, and it would put the RRFB further out in the street. Other than that, another little section of downtown getting a little bit of pedestrian friendly-ness.

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/715062/pl%201-16.pdf

And this is just a small sidewalk project in N. Tulsa at Peoria and Pine and the 5100-5900 block of Lewis.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:58:45 pm »

This was announced several months ago.  Does this mean work will start soon?  The idea was to connect the Guthrie Green with Reconciliation Park without feeling like you're walking through a deserted alleyway.
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 10:06:50 pm »

This was announced several months ago.  Does this mean work will start soon?  The idea was to connect the Guthrie Green with Reconciliation Park without feeling like you're walking through a deserted alleyway.

It should start soon, but after typing that I realize that I may have a different version of "soon" than you. Bids are opened on Dec. 2nd, and I could see paperwork/pre-bid stuff taking them to the new year, but I don't see how they aren't done before Baseball begins in April. If everything goes REALLY well, they could maybe get done in February.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:09:49 pm »

...curious why they didn't install the bumpout along the east side of Detroit...

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/700073/164003%20half%20size.pdf

I think a bumpout on the east side of Detroit would be a great improvement, beginning just south of the existing curb inlet here and then extending south 65 feet or so, to incorporate a curb ramp for another marked pedestrian crossing on the south side of Cameron, approximately here.  By my casual observation, there's more foot traffic on the south side of Cameron than on the north side.  Also, it's easier to cross Detroit on the south side of Cameron because Detroit is one-way northbound.

An enlarged bumpout on the east side of Detroit would add to the project scope and expense, but I think the benefits would be worth it.  I'd install crosswalks on both sides of Cameron, plus another flashing beacon, if necessary.  I imagine that the beacons for both crosswalks could be wired together to be activated from four locations.

About three parallel parking spaces would be lost, but an enlarged bumpout would help to slow down vehicular traffic, allow more space for street trees, and provide an opportunity for a terminus feature for Cameron, in this void.

I hope the light poles will not be installed as shown on sheet 15 of 16, with the banner arms directly below the light.  The banners on the existing light poles in the district are mounted on the opposite side from the light fixture, and I think they work better that way.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:31:54 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org