A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:12:48 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnitude 5.3 earthquake centered 2 miles west of Cushing  (Read 8819 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: November 06, 2016, 08:05:59 pm »

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us100075y8#executive

Felt that one rattle my desk pretty hard then it tapered off.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:17:26 pm »

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us100075y8#executive

Felt that one rattle my desk pretty hard then it tapered off.

Not much shaking here, but we sure heard it coming.  I thought it was a plane taking off from TUL then the cats let me know it was a quake.  Amazing the things they can sense we don’t.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:35:32 pm »

Not much shaking here, but we sure heard it coming.  I thought it was a plane taking off from TUL then the cats let me know it was a quake.  Amazing the things they can sense we don’t.

I felt something and then noticed the orchids in the dining room shaking.  I guess it was about 15 seconds.  My brother called from Norman and said they felt it too.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 09:16:20 pm »

It was weird for me.  It sounded like something heavy in the house fell over, then I felt the house swaying a little, then some rattling.

USGS has revised the magnitude down to 5.0.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

davideinstein
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:49:48 pm »

Will there be a big one? If so, what's our emergency response?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 08:28:59 am »

Remember:  the industry knew about this connection, academia knew about the connection, our government - headed by our currently benevolent overlords - knew that science indicated that the increase in quakes was man-made.  And the response was to do all they could for a few years to cover it up. They KNEW what the sceince said and they believed it, and they lied to our faces for years.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 08:46:04 am »

Remember:  the industry knew about this connection, academia knew about the connection, our government - headed by our currently benevolent overlords - knew that science indicated that the increase in quakes was man-made.  And the response was to do all they could for a few years to cover it up. They KNEW what the sceince said and they believed it, and they lied to our faces for years.

Why do you think we had oilfield prayer day last month?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 09:39:16 am »

Why do you think we had oilfield prayer day last month?

LOL.  Guess that didn't work.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 10:41:16 am »

Didn't feel a thing downtown....

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 12:36:42 pm »

Didn't feel a thing downtown....

Heard it then felt in Owasso.
A lot lower frequency than the others though. Really a different feel to it.
Felt the aftershock around 9:30 as well. First time I've felt an aftershock.

My sheetrock seams are not enjoying this.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 01:19:48 pm »

LOL.  Guess that didn't work.

Okay, who in Cushing didn't pray for oil? We're going to find out, might as well fess up.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 03:37:01 pm »

Heard it then felt in Owasso.
A lot lower frequency than the others though. Really a different feel to it.
Felt the aftershock around 9:30 as well. First time I've felt an aftershock.

My sheetrock seams are not enjoying this.

That first loud 'boom' was the P-wave (pressure wave).  As I stated before, it sounded like someone ran their car into the side of my house, then everything on my office desk shook for about 15 seconds.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 05:26:03 pm »

Will there be a big one? If so, what's our emergency response?

Go with the California quake emergency methods/response... Only one I know is to stand in a doorway, and I got that from movies, so it is probably suspect.

Or the more effective, less stressful approach that doesn't require as much hysteria and wasted effort - just bend over and kiss your sweet a$$ goodbye!!

Got two aftershocks.  Now have 3/4" gap in sheetrock across ceiling to wall junction - about 15 ft long.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 06:19:48 pm »

Go with the California quake emergency methods/response... Only one I know is to stand in a doorway, and I got that from movies, so it is probably suspect.

Or the more effective, less stressful approach that doesn't require as much hysteria and wasted effort - just bend over and kiss your sweet a$$ goodbye!!

Got two aftershocks.  Now have 3/4" gap in sheetrock across ceiling to wall junction - about 15 ft long.

We have cracks all over the house now as a result of the 5.8 and now this one. I swear I'm gonna send the bill for repairing everything to our illustrious Governor.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 06:51:27 pm »

Felt it in downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org