A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:42:17 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do We Really Need PikePass Anymore?  (Read 29358 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: October 20, 2016, 10:07:01 am »

The Turnpike Authority just announced it is using Automatic License Plate Recognition cameras to bill people who drive thru toll gates without throwing money in the basket or having a PikePass read.

...which is funny, because they've already been doing that for a few years now.

"The all-electronic toll booth was created for the safety of drivers" says the press handout local media cut-and-pasted to their stories.

I still have the muddy, Xeroxed photo of my license tag they sent after they couldnt read my PikePass, telling me I need to be a PikePass customer or pay tolls just like the unwashed masses (out of state drivers) do.

So yes, the OTA has been logging the license plates of turnpike users for some time, but only recently figured out how to automate the collection process?

"The toll rate between the Pikepass customer and an invoiced plate pay customer is going to be substantially different," Oklahoma Turnpike Authority Director of Communications Jack Damrill said.

The new rates will be released in December, but Damrill says the toll will likely be double for those without a Pikepass.

"All-electronic tolling is not easy," Damrill said. "Obviously with tracking down the registered owner of that car, sometimes they don't re-register that car, it is in the preregistered person's name."

If you use the electronic toll you will receive a bill in the mail a few days later. The bottom of the bill will show you how much you could save using a Pikepass.

"Tracking down an invoice customer is more expensive, with this we already have their account information on file, it is kept secret of course and it is cheaper for them," Damrill said.

PikePass customers get mailed a bill, too, just on a regular cycle.  This cant be done with license-plate-scanner tolls?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:42:15 am »

The Turnpike Authority just announced it is using Automatic License Plate Recognition cameras to bill people who drive thru toll gates without throwing money in the basket or having a PikePass read.

"The all-electronic toll booth was created for the safety of drivers" says the press handout local media cut-and-pasted to their stories.

I still have the muddy, Xeroxed photo of my license tag they sent after they couldnt read my PikePass, telling me I need to be a PikePass customer or pay tolls just like the unwashed masses (out of state drivers) do.

So yes, the OTA has been logging the license plates of turnpike users for some time, but only recently figured out how to automate the collection process?

"The toll rate between the Pikepass customer and an invoiced plate pay customer is going to be substantially different," Oklahoma Turnpike Authority Director of Communications Jack Damrill said.

The new rates will be released in December, but Damrill says the toll will likely be double for those without a Pikepass.

"All-electronic tolling is not easy," Damrill said. "Obviously with tracking down the registered owner of that car, sometimes they don't re-register that car, it is in the preregistered person's name."

If you use the electronic toll you will receive a bill in the mail a few days later. The bottom of the bill will show you how much you could save using a Pikepass.

"Tracking down an invoice customer is more expensive, with this we already have their account information on file, it is kept secret of course and it is cheaper for them," Damrill said.

PikePass customers get mailed a bill, too, just on a regular cycle.  This cant be done with license-plate-scanner tolls?

There was an announcement in the last few days the new interchange around Elm in Jenks will use tag recognition for toll collection.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
saintnicster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:08:24 am »

2 things to pikepass
1)  Required to have a balance on the account of at least $10.  There are workarounds available, but 90% of the time you need a balance

2) By enrolling, you save like 10cents. so trying to incentivize folks to just blindly give folks money.

That being said, since K*Tags work at OK toll boths now, I've just used that.  They automatically pull what I owe from the CC every month, assuming I owe more than $10, and I still get the discount.
davideinstein
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 06:56:37 pm »

Do we really need turnpikes?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:51:10 pm »

Some friends that go to Texas a lot get periodic turnpike bills but not a bill for each transaction.  I would hope we can be at least as smart as Texas.  Oh well.

This is STUPID.

"Tracking down an invoice customer is more expensive,

Especially if you send a bill for each trip through a toll booth.  Wise up OTA.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 04:54:33 pm »

Do we really need turnpikes?

Whether you like cars and roads or not, we need roads.  I'll agree that we don't need super highways through the middle of a downtown.  A bypass around town is acceptable.  A bypass around the bunch of towns along 75/69 going to Texas would be a big improvement.  A  toll  road there would probably be well supported.  It is unlikely that any significant new roads will be funded without being toll roads.

davideinstein
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 05:53:38 pm »

Whether you like cars and roads or not, we need roads.  I'll agree that we don't need super highways through the middle of a downtown.  A bypass around town is acceptable.  A bypass around the bunch of towns along 75/69 going to Texas would be a big improvement.  A  toll  road there would probably be well supported.  It is unlikely that any significant new roads will be funded without being toll roads.

But why do we need tolls to fund this? How misallocated are our tax dollars? Same question I have with education. It just doesn't add up. Frustrating.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:03:08 pm »

But why do we need tolls to fund this? How misallocated are our tax dollars? Same question I have with education. It just doesn't add up. Frustrating.

I expect that, at least in Oklahoma, the funds that should be allocated to roads are spent elsewhere.  I don't like toll roads but it is a convenient way to build roads.  I grew up in PA with the PA Turnpike.  There were also some toll roads in NJ from the Philadelphia area to the NJ Seashore around Atlantic City and Cape May.  There was also the NJ Turnpike if you wanted to go to NY.

Education:  I believe that if 779 passes that all that money raised by the increased sales tax will be spent on education.  I also believe that money already being spent on education will be re-allocated elsewhere.  We have had at least 2 things that were supposed to fix education spending forever.  1017 (I think that was the bill/law number) was the first I remember (our family moved here in 1971).   The lottery was the second.

Global Moderator
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:51:37 am »

Discussion then diverted entirely to teacher pay, which is fine... I split that thread off.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21410.0

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 10:02:37 am »

I just read the part you addressed to me and its nonsense. Literally doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint. You seem to think that the market is somehow polluted by union representation when in reality, the lack of unions artificially enhances the corporate power to administer a market. Markets work best when they are balanced, not skewed to one side or the other. But to be fair, you repeated one point I made as though it was yours, "he only maintains that job if he produces", and left out the part that negates your assumption. The demand for specific degrees overcomes the market because of economic constraints. There is only so much a company feels it wants to pay for a hard to find degree. Most companies know that number and will only pay a little more or a little less to get that candidate. In effect they collude. The market for that degree would normally boost the asking price but since degreed candidates are rarely unionized, the companies work together to keep pay scales in line. So, the candidate has little incentive to move around other than work environment. Artificial market pricing. The real loser is the industry that does these shenanigans, and they don't all do it. Then it hurts the larger economy as well. What incentive is there for investing in a degree when the average engineer gets paid the same as the idiot engineer and there is no way to be compensated for the real demand in the marketplace? None. So you get Dilbert style engineering companies. Same with teachers. Only with teachers the boss is government and they repress the market because they represent the skinflint red state voters.

I saw it in the oil company I worked for, I saw it in advertising and I see it now in education and healthcare. Teachers are degreed candidates that earned the right to unionize but their unions are weak, political and too close to their opponents. However, they provide other protections and benefits besides compensation negotiation. Freeing the teachers from unions will simply give them no leverage at all.

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:39:21 am »

Discussion then diverted entirely to teacher pay, which is fine... I split that thread off.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21410.0

I think the replies are still following the original header.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 12:56:02 pm »

Maybe he was typing that one when the Mod split it. Seems like other replies are posting fine.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 02:52:23 pm »

Ahhh.... it looked like I was censored, but my turnpike comment just didn't get here at the split....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 11:05:30 am »

With the Automatic License Plate Reader setup, it looks like you should have a PikePass account, but not necessarily a PikePas transponder glued to your windshield.

http://www.platepay.com/

saintnicster
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 11:42:05 am »

With the Automatic License Plate Reader setup, it looks like you should have a PikePass account, but not necessarily a PikePas transponder glued to your windshield.

http://www.platepay.com/

Brings a thought into my head... car was towed by storey a few weeks ago, they apparently took my car on the Creek turnpike to the shop when I was headed west on the BA Expressway.  Only discovered this when looking at my statement this past month.  Is there any experience here with disputes or clarifications on that stuff through either storey or the turnpike authority?  Does a car on a flatbed have any expectations of toll payment?  Wouldn't that be rolled into the payment made by a the wrecker crew?  Just guessing I'm technically being double-billed for that 70cents, since they likely upcharged me for the turnpike.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org