A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:21:06 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titan Sports Complex  (Read 10858 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:27 am »

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/new-sports-complex-planned-for-tulsa-titan-sports-complex-slated-to-open-in-2017
The 175,000 square foot facility will feature 38 indoor and outdoor fields: 16 volleyball courts, 10 outdoor soccer fields, eight basketball courts, two outdoor lacrosse fields and two indoor soccer fields.

The site will host state and regional games for soccer and basketball.

Titan will also offer a fitness center, an athlete training center and a sports medicine hub.

Construction is expected to be completed in the summer of 2017.

http://www.newson6.com/story/32857617/massive-indoor-outdoor-sports-facility-planned-for-tulsa
TULSA, Oklahoma - A huge indoor-outdoor sports facility planned for the 81st and Elwood Avenue area is expected to be complete next summer. Titan Sports and Performance Center will host a groundbreaking ceremony Tuesday, August 30 on a 60-acre location.

The massive sports complex will have 10 outdoor and two indoor soccer fields, eight basketball courts, 16 indoor volleyball courts and two outdoor lacrosse fields, according to a news release. The indoor facility will be 175,000 square feet.

Stan Liedel, general manager for the facility, said a group of local investors saw the need for the complex and worked to fill it.

"We will serve the needs of many area clubs and athletes by offering many different fields and programs," he said.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:42:22 am »

Article says 81st and Elwood.
Can that be correct?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 07:46:11 am »

Article says 81st and Elwood.
Can that be correct?

Sure.  I take Elwood past 81st every time I go to Riverside Airport.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 10:21:17 am »

Sure.  I take Elwood past 81st every time I go to Riverside Airport.

I know the intersection exists...
It would have to be the NE corner (where the white house mansion is)...  floodsville

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 10:25:26 am »

I know the intersection exists...
It would have to be the NE corner (where the white house mansion is)...  floodsville

The site isn't on the corner, it's set back maybe a quarter mile east of Elwood. I don't know if the property floods, but 81st does constantly which will cut off access. 81st is sometimes closed for weeks at a time.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 10:42:28 am »

And, it doesn't take much rain to close the road. Its quite an impressive plan. I hope it includes updating the two lane roads leading into it.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:12:12 am »

I’d gathered from the News on 6 story last night, it’s south'ish of the airport.  The address of 101 E. 81st. St. registers to right about that area.  That’s also the only place I can picture a 60 acre parcel.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 11:42:02 am »

If its 81st and Elwood it would be north of the airport. Unless I'm just turned around...That area is pretty low lying.

onward...through the fog
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 11:50:36 am »

I've driven by the construction site, it's just north of the airport and east of the White House Mansion.

South of the airport is Southlakes Golf Course.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 11:56:55 am »

I’d gathered from the News on 6 story last night, it’s south'ish of the airport.  The address of 101 E. 81st. St. registers to right about that area.  That’s also the only place I can picture a 60 acre parcel.

That address is going to mess people up. How many people are going to look for the complex at 81st and Riverside?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 12:26:19 pm »

I bet some of the folks who've lived in that neighborhood on 81st street for a while are a bit surprised by all the development around their once rural locale.

Is the 60 acres that large field North of the white house?  If so, would that stretch close to the river?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 01:19:50 pm »

It's low lying along the creek there but steps up quite a bit higher as you get closer to 71st.  Hager Creek oddly doesn't flow into the Arkansas River but runs parallel to it and flows into Polecat Creek down by 101st & Elwood.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 01:27:19 pm »

It's low lying along the creek there but steps up quite a bit higher as you get closer to 71st.  Hager Creek oddly doesn't flow into the Arkansas River but runs parallel to it and flows into Polecat Creek down by 101st & Elwood.

The county assessor map has a property owner of Titan for this parcel:

So yeah, I'd have to agree that saying it's at 81st and Elwood is a little off the mark.  It's in the vicinity.  Looking at older records, it appears this property had a home on it at one time that was demolished in 2002.  Looking at the map the only ingress/egress to it appears to be a gravel road from 81st.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:30:44 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 01:53:44 pm »

That reminds me. Whatever happened to the big Eddie Sutton sports complex they were supposed to build in Bixby? Haven't heard anything about it since the initial hoopla was made about it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 04:43:57 pm »

Sure.  I take Elwood past 81st every time I go to Riverside Airport.

I drive east on 81st from Elwood to the gate by the Northwest Tees as long as the street isn't flooded.  Polecat Creek crosses over the top of 81st with just a bit of rain.  There might be some culverts under the street but not very big ones.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:16:25 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org