A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:34:19 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fish Market  (Read 18298 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 07:38:14 am »

According to the Tulsa World article announcing WR’s new location in Broken Arrow, they moved to the current location in 1965.

Calling The Fish Market “North Tulsa’s “first” seafood marketplace & restaurant” is a big whopper of a fish tale.
That alone makes me not want to go there.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 12:03:35 pm »

The first Pizza Hut is on the campus of Wichita State University.  I’ll check with Ken’s daughter and see what the name of his first location was.  Hopefully she will know.  Grin

Went to Mazzio's over the weekend and they have those little cardboard table hats celebrating 55 years.  Shows a pic of Ken standing in front of the first store.  Pizza Parlor....   Love getting to see those old memories.  At the time, I know we went there at least a few times, but I was not aware enough to remember the place other than "pizza" !!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:05:06 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Bumby
Activist

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 12:14:32 am »

......Just south of first Ken's is a Vacuum place that started out as an 'upscale' hamburger joint - can't remember the name - by some family friends who were trying to do the Goldie's thing.  Only lasted a few years.  Just couldn't quite capture the magic that Goldie's had.  Really good burgers, though!!

The hamburger place was Sir Oliver's.

Took my first wife on our first date there in '69. Ken was a school teacher working there, I was told, as a part time job. My memory is, it was called Hideaway Pizza or something similar....

You're memory is fine, it was called Hideaway.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 03:55:11 am »

Thank you. The marriage lasted about as long as the pizza place. Both good memories.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 06:47:32 pm »

The hamburger place was Sir Oliver's.

That sounds right!  You must be old, too, but with a better memory than I.  The owners were people from Sun Oil who started it up.  The biggest single problem in my mind was no on-site owner - the kids hired to work the place pretty much did what they wanted and weren't "invested" in the business.  They had really good hamburgers, though...at least I thought so...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 08:39:49 pm »

That sounds right!  You must be old, too, but with a better memory than I.  The owners were people from Sun Oil who started it up.  The biggest single problem in my mind was no on-site owner - the kids hired to work the place pretty much did what they wanted and weren't "invested" in the business.  They had really good hamburgers, though...at least I thought so...

Sounds reminiscent of Hemi’s Pizza.  Stoners ran the place and it wasn’t hard to get a free beer or pizza here and there.  Great pizza, or either we were just that stoned when we ate there.  They had a location at 41st & Peoria and I think another location at 11th & around Birmingham in the same center where Halim & Mimi’s was forever.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 09:51:37 pm »

Sounds reminiscent of Hemi’s Pizza.  Stoners ran the place and it wasn’t hard to get a free beer or pizza here and there.  Great pizza, or either we were just that stoned when we ate there.  They had a location at 41st & Peoria and I think another location at 11th & around Birmingham in the same center where Halim & Mimi’s was forever.

There was also a Hemi's at 41st & Garnett in the building that was across the parking lot east of the Delta Cafe in the early 80's, and I remember they di have good pizza. Some of us from  work in '82 and '83 used to go there for lunch on Fridays for their all you can eat pizza, pasta and salad buffet. Didn't the one on 11th become 8 Day's A Week?

(sorry, thread drift)
Bumby
Activist

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 07:17:34 pm »

Hey, I just got old memories!   Cheesy

Even after all these years, there are times I want a Sir Oliver's charburger.  Too bad too, now I live just down 15th...much closer than the drive from Broken Arrow back then.

I always liked Hemi's Pizza, hit the one on 11th & Birmingham when I lived on Florence....driving right by the old Hideaway that had become a Mazzio's delivery by then.  Anyone remember when Mazzios delivered fried chicken?

The Hemi's spot on 11th is a Chinese place now, I think.

I am looking forward to trying The Fish Market, but I could talk old restaurants all night.  (getting back on topic)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 07:19:52 pm by Bumby » Logged
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 04:47:51 am »

Stopped at the only Quik Trip in north Tulsa on Friday and was surprised to look across Lewis avenue and see the new Fish Market. It used to be a barbeque restaurant. It is conceivably well located since that QT is pretty steadily busy. I suppose the owners puffed a little to call it north Tulsa's first seafood market & restaurant but it is the farthest north.

onward...through the fog
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2016, 11:26:59 am »

Stopped at the only Quik Trip in north Tulsa on Friday and was surprised to look across Lewis avenue and see the new Fish Market. It used to be a barbeque restaurant. It is conceivably well located since that QT is pretty steadily busy. I suppose the owners puffed a little to call it north Tulsa's first seafood market & restaurant but it is the farthest north.

I was looking at that location on Google maps and noticed it's one of those intersections that has had a QT on almost every corner. The NW corner was when they shared a building and before they started selling gas, the SW corner was the first generation of stores with gas pumps, and then the second generation with the larger gas island on the SE corner. 51st and Union is another one of those intersections as well.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 10:58:54 am »

Hey, I just got old memories!   Cheesy

Even after all these years, there are times I want a Sir Oliver's charburger.  Too bad too, now I live just down 15th...much closer than the drive from Broken Arrow back then.

I always liked Hemi's Pizza, hit the one on 11th & Birmingham when I lived on Florence....driving right by the old Hideaway that had become a Mazzio's delivery by then.  Anyone remember when Mazzios delivered fried chicken?

The Hemi's spot on 11th is a Chinese place now, I think.

I am looking forward to trying The Fish Market, but I could talk old restaurants all night.  (getting back on topic)

King's Food Host....  just throwing it out there...

Hmm...I knew some of the investors of Sir Oliver's.  Sounds like you must have been more closely associated with the place than casual customer.  Not many left who knew the place or the people associated with it...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org