A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:33:06 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fish Market  (Read 18296 times)
Artist1990
Tourist

« on: September 01, 2016, 12:59:49 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed:
Date/Time of Visit:
Quality of Food (1-5):
http://thefishmarkettulsa.com/

Menu/Food Options (1-5):  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Quality of Service (1-5):  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Atmosphere (1-5):  Grin Grin Grin
Overall Rating (1-5):  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Price ($-$$$$$): Grin Grin Grin Grin
The absolute best fried fish, gumbo, jambalaya in this town. Buttermilk and sweet potato pie made by the owner's mom. It is fantastic.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 06:34:34 am »

From their website: "The Fish Market is North Tulsa's first seafood marketplace. ..."
Then what is White River Fish Market?  Huh
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:44:56 am »

From their website: "The Fish Market is North Tulsa's first seafood marketplace. ..."
Then what is White River Fish Market?  Huh

White River was actually downtown before it moved out to North Sheridan, if memory serves.

EDIT: Hmm.  They opened in 2016 and they consider themselves first?  Guess it depends on your definition of North Tulsa.  Maybe north of Admiral/west of Harvard is what they're using?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:46:56 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 06:57:15 am »

White River was actually downtown before it moved out to North Sheridan, if memory serves.

When was that? 1940?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:13:16 am »

When was that? 1940?

I don't know but it's on some of the news clippings they have on their wall in the entrance.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 07:26:40 am »

When was that? 1940?

According to the Tulsa World article announcing WR’s new location in Broken Arrow, they moved to the current location in 1965.

Calling The Fish Market “North Tulsa’s “first” seafood marketplace & restaurant” is a big whopper of a fish tale.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 09:43:33 am »

According to the Tulsa World article announcing WR’s new location in Broken Arrow, they moved to the current location in 1965.

Calling The Fish Market “North Tulsa’s “first” seafood marketplace & restaurant” is a big whopper of a fish tale.

Would go to WR for lunch - 1967 through about 1970 - worked about 1/2 mile south of there...

Edit - about 1 1/2 mile south of there...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:31:34 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:16:33 pm »

Would go to WR for lunch - 1967 through about 1970 - worked about 1/2 mile south of there...

Not a lot there now.  A few things north of it over by Zebco, but that's about it over there now.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 03:06:05 pm »

Op seem's like a shill to me....I highly doubt it's better than W.R. but I will give it a shot....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 03:30:30 pm »

Not a lot there now.  A few things north of it over by Zebco, but that's about it over there now.

Yeah, it was pretty quiet last time I went up Sheridan... worked at Independence and Sheridan then.  Don's Restaurant area - you won't remember that one...  There was a Pure Milk Company 'store' on the northeast corner Sheridan/Independence, where a wheel/tire store is now.  They had a plant on 15th west of Sheridan, brick building.  Google shows a sign that says "Available". 

Ken's Pizza had just put in a place - first Ken's at 15th/Sheridan, on southeast corner, IIRC.  Wiki has it wrong.  Soon, they built new and move across street to southwest corner.  Mazzio's now.

Just south of first Ken's is a Vacuum place that started out as an 'upscale' hamburger joint - can't remember the name - by some family friends who were trying to do the Goldie's thing.  Only lasted a few years.  Just couldn't quite capture the magic that Goldie's had.  Really good burgers, though!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 07:50:07 am »

Yeah, it was pretty quiet last time I went up Sheridan... worked at Independence and Sheridan then.  Don's Restaurant area - you won't remember that one...  There was a Pure Milk Company 'store' on the northeast corner Sheridan/Independence, where a wheel/tire store is now.  They had a plant on 15th west of Sheridan, brick building.  Google shows a sign that says "Available". 

Ken's Pizza had just put in a place - first Ken's at 15th/Sheridan, on southeast corner, IIRC.  Wiki has it wrong.  Soon, they built new and move across street to southwest corner.  Mazzio's now.

Just south of first Ken's is a Vacuum place that started out as an 'upscale' hamburger joint - can't remember the name - by some family friends who were trying to do the Goldie's thing.  Only lasted a few years.  Just couldn't quite capture the magic that Goldie's had.  Really good burgers, though!!

The first Ken’s was south of Skelly Stadium where there is a Mazzio’s now.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 09:21:02 am »

The first Ken’s was south of Skelly Stadium where there is a Mazzio’s now.

That was Pizza Parlor....or something like that...  Ken opened it but didn't name it that.

For some reason, I keep wanting to say Pizza Hut, but that was different place completely...

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:23:22 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 09:38:07 am »

That was Pizza Parlor....or something like that...  Ken opened it but didn't name it that.

For some reason, I keep wanting to say Pizza Hut, but that was different place completely...

Took my first wife on our first date there in '69. Ken was a school teacher working there, I was told, as a part time job. My memory is, it was called Hideaway Pizza or something similar. Really good too. So was the Library nearby. So named because you could always ask someone to meet you at the Library and it sounded like you were going to study instead of pool and beer.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 09:44:14 am »

Got curious, so did the standard first 'google search' - and found this.  I realize there is a ton of stuff about Ken and his restaurants around, it just seems a little sad there is so little on Wiki for a guy who made a very definite impact on the state!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Selby

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 07:37:38 am »

The first Pizza Hut is on the campus of Wichita State University.  I’ll check with Ken’s daughter and see what the name of his first location was.  Hopefully she will know.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org