A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:40:21 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SQ777  (Read 31569 times)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 08:12:26 am »

https://www.facebook.com/scottsweari/videos/1457824754234650/

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 03:21:27 pm »

777 is one issue-  the one I care most about is number  776 about cap. punishment. We need that to insure Oklahoma can keep it's DP. The vote "no" on  776 is being pushed by the anti-cap-punishment  crowd to get a foot in the door to ban it. I favor a "yes" vote, we need alternative ways to execute killers in case injection is found to be cruel & un-usual in some future  court case.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 03:43:15 pm »

777 is one issue- 

You must mean is the issue of this thread
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 03:44:41 pm »

You must mean is the issue of this thread

Where's that squirrel meme again.....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 07:52:53 pm »

The vote "no" on  776 is being pushed by the anti-cap-punishment  crowd

I am not anti-cap. I just have a big head and wearing a hat too tight is real punishment. There is one of me in every crowd.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 10:34:58 am »

777 is one issue-  the one I care most about is number  776 about cap. punishment. We need that to insure Oklahoma can keep it's DP. The vote "no" on  776 is being pushed by the anti-cap-punishment  crowd to get a foot in the door to ban it. I favor a "yes" vote, we need alternative ways to execute killers in case injection is found to be cruel & un-usual in some future  court case.

Oh I don’t know why 776 is a bad thing.  Might be due to my fear of how many millions upon millions Oklahoma is going to spend defending this measure as well as endless appeals and challenges this will add onto the usual appeals process for death row inmates.

For someone who claims to be an arch conservative like yourself, you don’t seem to comprehend that capital punishment wastes billions in tax dollars every year.  

The death penalty has never been and never will be a deterrent to murder.  If it were, death row would look like a ghost town and our murder rate would be nil.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 10:46:20 am »

777 is one issue-  the one I care most about is number  776 about cap. punishment. We need that to insure Oklahoma can keep it's DP. The vote "no" on  776 is being pushed by the anti-cap-punishment  crowd to get a foot in the door to ban it. I favor a "yes" vote, we need alternative ways to execute killers in case injection is found to be cruel & un-usual in some future  court case.

Just another example of single issue obliviousness.  777 has the very real potential to affect your life, and that of any descendants you may have, orders of magnitude more than 776!  776 passing will only keep us spending 3 or 4 times what it costs over a lifetime for the same inmate with life, no parole sentence.  777 passing will eliminate all possibility of keeping the Illinois River usable for future generations, as well as allowing whatever corporate excesses big AG wants to do here in Oklahoma.   Yeah, I can see you not caring about any of that....

Whatever happened to your so-called "conservative" interests in keeping government costs down?  Situational morality.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 01:01:22 pm »

Where's that squirrel meme again.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 01:06:21 pm »

Close enough.  Smiley

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 09:01:08 pm »

I am not anti-cap. I just have a big head and wearing a hat too tight is real punishment. There is one of me in every crowd.

That adjustable strap in the back can probably accommodate you.

Grin

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 11:44:02 am »

Oh I don’t know why 776 is a bad thing.  Might be due to my fear of how many millions upon millions Oklahoma is going to spend defending this measure as well as endless appeals and challenges this will add onto the usual appeals process for death row inmates.

For someone who claims to be an arch conservative like yourself, you don’t seem to comprehend that capital punishment wastes billions in tax dollars every year.  

The death penalty has never been and never will be a deterrent to murder.  If it were, death row would look like a ghost town and our murder rate would be nil.

Well said. Deserves to be repeated.

onward...through the fog
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 11:47:11 am »

Just another example of single issue obliviousness.  777 has the very real potential to affect your life, and that of any descendants you may have, orders of magnitude more than 776!  776 passing will only keep us spending 3 or 4 times what it costs over a lifetime for the same inmate with life, no parole sentence.  777 passing will eliminate all possibility of keeping the Illinois River usable for future generations, as well as allowing whatever corporate excesses big AG wants to do here in Oklahoma.   Yeah, I can see you not caring about any of that....

Whatever happened to your so-called "conservative" interests in keeping government costs down?  Situational morality.

I went to the fair the opening night and was very surprised to see almost all of the livestock cages had 777Yes signs on them. So many I was hesitant to even ask why. They didn't look like corporate farmers. No button down shirts, ties, coats. Looked like stock men to me! But it must be divisive even in their industry.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 01:32:49 pm »

I went to the fair the opening night and was very surprised to see almost all of the livestock cages had 777Yes signs on them. So many I was hesitant to even ask why. They didn't look like corporate farmers. No button down shirts, ties, coats. Looked like stock men to me! But it must be divisive even in their industry.

We’ve been out to NE New Mexico several times in the last four months, there are SQ777 yes signs all through the Oklahoma Panhandle along 64/412.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 02:09:51 pm »

It makes Tyson's ability to dump chicken litter, guts, and industrial solvents wherever they want rise to the same level as your First Amendment rights. Just like it is nearly impossible to justify restricting a First Amendment right, it would be nearly impossible to come up with a justification to prevent Tyson's "right" of polluting the land, using unsafe practices, being a nuisance to their neighbors, etc.

It makes the owner of a 100,000 acres wheat farm's ability to spread raw pig manure as protected as your ability to carry a firearm.

Raising cocks or dogs for fighting? Arguably protected as "livestock." Want to try to enforce runoff, pesticide usage, carcass removal, or other standard environment laws? This is a blow. Need to take steps to stop an outbreak of something, protect the food supply, or otherwise protect other agricultural interests? Just made nearly impossible. Want to regulate antibiotics to livestock? Nope.  What if farmers were requesting a ban on a particular chemical that is killing off all their pollinators at the cost of ranchers having to use a different chemical... well, the state would effectively be barred from weighing those competing interests and making a decision about what is best for Oklahoma.

Want to require seat belts in tractors? Too bad. Safety features on grain elevators? Nope. This law also applies to safety laws.

All this... to gain nothing. Oklahomans already have a "right to farm." They are counting on ignorance and people saying, "gee, that sounds nice."

Whoah, tap the brakes a bit, counselor.  No state constitution can give anyone a right that rises to the level of the first amendment, second amendment or any other federal constitutional right.  There's a little thing called the Supremacy Clause.   Further, state laws, even state constitutions, do not override federal law. (That darned Supremacy Clause again.)   So all federal environmental and other regulations will still apply in Oklahoma.

North Dakota enacted their "right to farm" about 4 years ago (and it is seemingly even broader than the SQ777 proposal).  Have they seen the sort of mayhem you are predicting would ensue in Oklahoma?  Is there any indication such is in the offing?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:30:47 pm by Oil Capital » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 02:23:47 pm »

No state constitution can give anyone a right that rises to the level of the first amendment, second amendment or any other federal constitutional right.  There's a little thing called the Supremacy Clause.   Further, state laws, even state constitutions, do not override federal law. So all federal environmental and other regulations will still apply in Oklahoma.

Excellent point. It is another reason to be opposed to 777. There will be regulations and there will be violations. Sometimes through no fault.

But when that happens, do you want the guy regulating you to be a guy from your state, even your county, or do you want that guy to be out of Washington D.C.? As of now, Oklahoma state environmental regulators have primacy on most environmental rules. When a problem occurs, they have a better relationship with the land or business owner. If that fix ain't good enough for the feds, then they step in.

This bill kills that. As rules change, Oklahoma won't and we will all suffer. I fear the feds can never do it all and do it all correctly.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org