A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:00:21 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Economy  (Read 64815 times)
Oil Capital
City Father

« on: August 20, 2016, 02:38:50 pm »

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/i9znIHhJZqig/v0/488x-1.png
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:41:48 pm by Oil Capital » Logged

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 03:14:28 pm »

its a one month look. Not surprised to see virtually the entire list is made up of energy heavy economies. A longer window would be more indiciative of how the economy is doing, which I'm sure Tulsa is still struggling.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
davideinstein
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 03:59:57 pm »

It's struggling.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 09:24:01 pm »

It's struggling.

Lol...Whatever....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 10:06:11 pm »

Care to comment or just another crap on Tulsa?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 10:53:02 pm »

It's struggling.

No, Joe Namath is struggling........

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 06:03:54 am »

Care to comment or just another crap on Tulsa?

It's nearly the only reason this poster leaves the comfort of OKCTalk isn't it?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 08:32:04 am »

OKC doesn't appear to be doing much better according to that graphic (.3%). The whole state is struggling, just like Kansas, because we followed their model of governance. Cut health and medical, strangle education, give tax cuts to those who don't need them. Its a plan for failure.

onward...through the fog
davideinstein
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 10:35:18 am »

Lol...Whatever....

Most retail numbers are down. Stocks of WMB, OKE, LPI and WPX are just now rebounding from last winter. You literally have no clue what you're talking about on this.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 06:58:47 pm »

Depending on your paradigm, you can be a product of the economy or a victim of it.

If you believe it sucks, you are probably missing out on areas where you can improve in your corner of it.  I had lunch with a downtown restaurant owner yesterday and we chatted for well over an hour.  He justified that the local economy is being tough on his business by talking to others in that part of downtown that they were having a rough summer also.  He has outdoor seating, which understandably is underutilized when it is very hot, but what else is he doing to succeed other than to show up every day and count dwindling receipts?  How up to date is the menu with hot summer days?  What are you doing to draw people in through social media with specials?  What are you doing to market to people coming downtown for special events, concerts, or gallery showings?

One of the ten leading questions I would use when interviewing prospective reps when I worked in the chemical business was “How do you view the local economy?”Those who answered negatively usually had the longest list of previous employers.  I generally made the decision to continue with or to terminate an interview based on the answer to that question.  If I hired them and after 90 days they had done nothing, their excuse was always going to be the lousy local economy.  That wouldn’t be their fault, that would be mine for hiring someone with such a pathetic view of their surroundings.

If someone said: “I hear from others things are tough, but I don’t buy it.” I’d give that guy a chance.

In other words, you can let the economy happen to you or you can chart your own destiny.

I’ve worked on commission or ran my own business my entire adult life.  I have no choice but to make a living every day.  I have a certain standard of life I’m accustomed to, that makes me work that much harder.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 07:25:06 pm »

I think the local economy is doing great in the face of oil prices and the contraction of state services and funding. In the past a collapse like we have seen in oil prices would have been devastating. It hasn't been.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »

I think the local economy is doing great in the face of oil prices and the contraction of state services and funding. In the past a collapse like we have seen in oil prices would have been devastating. It hasn't been.

Hush Swake, I don’t have a job opening for you just yet.  Brown noser. Wink

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 09:50:10 pm »

Hush Swake, I don’t have a job opening for you just yet.  Brown noser. Wink

Ha!

The company I work for has no relation to the local economy. But we are buying Tivo so if something happens I'll let you know.  Grin
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 04:51:42 am »

Ha!

The company I work for has no relation to the local economy. But we are buying Tivo so if something happens I'll let you know.  Grin

Must be Rovi.  Where I work for now, we have a bunch of former Rovi employees.  I can't seem to get away from that.  My last employer had a bunch too.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 06:52:48 am »

Depending on your paradigm, you can be a product of the economy or a victim of it.

If you believe it sucks, you are probably missing out on areas where you can improve in your corner of it.  I had lunch with a downtown restaurant owner yesterday and we chatted for well over an hour.  He justified that the local economy is being tough on his business by talking to others in that part of downtown that they were having a rough summer also.  He has outdoor seating, which understandably is underutilized when it is very hot, but what else is he doing to succeed other than to show up every day and count dwindling receipts?  How up to date is the menu with hot summer days?  What are you doing to draw people in through social media with specials?  What are you doing to market to people coming downtown for special events, concerts, or gallery showings?

One of the ten leading questions I would use when interviewing prospective reps when I worked in the chemical business was “How do you view the local economy?”Those who answered negatively usually had the longest list of previous employers.  I generally made the decision to continue with or to terminate an interview based on the answer to that question.  If I hired them and after 90 days they had done nothing, their excuse was always going to be the lousy local economy.  That wouldn’t be their fault, that would be mine for hiring someone with such a pathetic view of their surroundings.

If someone said: “I hear from others things are tough, but I don’t buy it.” I’d give that guy a chance.

In other words, you can let the economy happen to you or you can chart your own destiny.

I’ve worked on commission or ran my own business my entire adult life.  I have no choice but to make a living every day.  I have a certain standard of life I’m accustomed to, that makes me work that much harder.

I'm with you Conan, but as a whole/on average, whatever you want to call it Oklahoma (not just Tulsa) is in a bit of a rut compared to the past. I for one am seeing in my workplace as contracting work is drying up at the moment, especially in parts of the country that are heavily impacted by the energy sector. It's always a lagging indicator, but when general contractors start struggling it's usually a sign. And I am seeing that in spades at the moment, and mostly in states like Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Louisiana.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org