A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:12:13 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 Summer Olympics  (Read 10294 times)
erfalf
City Father

« on: August 16, 2016, 01:56:48 pm »

I am a sucker apparently. But there have really been several times where I have actually said "WOW" out load during this Olympics. Of note:

* Katie Ledecky's 800 meter performance, double Wow
* Michael Phelps 200 IM, particularly after the turn leading into the freestyle section
* Simone Biles all around performances, where she clearly sepearted herself from the pack
* Wayde van Niekerk of South Africa in the 400M. Beating a record that I honestly couldn't believe stood for so long of Michael Johnson
* Usain Bolt laughing across the finish line...again

The human achievement is pretty remarkable. Each of these people above is truly ahead of their time when it comes to their competition. Few times in most other sports do I really in the moment realize that I am seeing something truly remarkable.

The funniest thing I've see during it all has to be this snarky post from NBC on INstagram:

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:09:32 pm »

I am a sucker apparently. But there have really been several times where I have actually said "WOW" out load during this Olympics. Of note:

* Katie Ledecky's 800 meter performance, double Wow
* Michael Phelps 200 IM, particularly after the turn leading into the freestyle section
* Simone Biles all around performances, where she clearly sepearted herself from the pack
* Wayde van Niekerk of South Africa in the 400M. Beating a record that I honestly couldn't believe stood for so long of Michael Johnson
* Usain Bolt laughing across the finish line...again

The human achievement is pretty remarkable. Each of these people above is truly ahead of their time when it comes to their competition. Few times in most other sports do I really in the moment realize that I am seeing something truly remarkable.

The funniest thing I've see during it all has to be this snarky post from NBC on INstagram:

Ledecky quite simply is superhuman.  11 seconds ahead of everybody in the 800.  11 SECONDS!  That's insane.  If she continues to attend olympics she could very well beat Phelps for medal records as long as she stays healthy.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
davideinstein
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »

I've really enjoyed watching them.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 04:16:08 pm »

Not at all a sucker!  It IS Wow!  On many venues.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 05:49:49 am »

Well, something else I didn't think I would see this Olympics. Walsh faced her first match point of her Olympic career (4th games) and came out on the short end. Barbara and Agatha from Brazil had an answer for everything that was thrown their way. It was impressive. Incredible career by Walsh, nothing to hang her head over. Still have a shot at the Bronze.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:01:06 am »

Credit where due:

- The 1500 meter athlete from the University of Tulsa qualified for the semi's, and after finishing waited at the line cheering for the other athletes to finish before giving interviews.

- Usain Bolt was giving an interview when the USA National Anthem began playing for a medal ceremony at the other end of the stadium, he halted the interview and faced the ceremony until the anthem was done playing, then allowed them to continue their questions.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 02:51:09 pm »

Did anyone else see Lochte get interviewed by Matt Lauer? The whole thing is getting bizzare now.

My first thought listening to his account, and what I thought Lauer should have followed up on (but he had an agenda of making him look bad for whatever reason), was why in the heck was a security guard asking for money at gun point (even if it was to repay the establishment owner)? Is this how it works in Brazil?

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 03:36:44 pm »

Short answer: yes.

Brazil is really corrupt. Bribes. Embezzlement. And, of course, over crime are very common. Most of Rio's population lives outside of the control of police.  They figure about 5% of the countries GSP is lost to corruption and graft.  60% of their current Congress is either under indictment for fraud, bribery, illegal deforestation, election tampering, kidnapping, or murder. The president just got tossed out of office, and it looks like the new guy isn't much better.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 03:41:46 pm »

Brazil is really corrupt. Bribes. Embezzlement. And, of course, over crime are very common. Most of Rio's population lives outside of the control of police.  They figure about 5% of the countries GSP is lost to corruption and graft.  60% of their current Congress is either under indictment for fraud, bribery, illegal deforestation, election tampering, kidnapping, or murder. The president just got tossed out of office, and it looks like the new guy isn't much better.

Good point. I figured that to be the case. I have little doubt the athletes, regardless of how jerkish they were acting, were legitimately scared and confused as that is not how we roll in the states.

I guess I should have said, is that how it is "supposed to work". Even then, the answer might be yes

Apparently people are less concerned with that than how much Lochte embellished. Not that I should be surprised, seems to be a trend with the media lately.   Wink

davideinstein
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 03:42:47 pm »

That statistic on the politicians is insane.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 06:00:47 am »

A little digging would have turned this up for anyone else who had the inclination (and happened to be in Rio last week). I am convinced that the entirety of network news is just a bunch of commentators, no better than MSNBC or Fox News. Do they even hire investigators any more?

That said, kudos to USA Today. for not just believing the "facts".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/investigation-ryan-lochte-rio-olympics-authorities/89082232/

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 09:34:57 pm »

Basically Lochte is slightly less of a d-bag than we thought.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 09:36:56 am »

Basically Lochte is slightly less of a d-bag than we thought.

Naw....he still is.  There were just more around him than originally revealed.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 11:16:48 am »

I guess this can go here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/08/30/okay-heres-how-ryan-lochte-can-win-dancing-with-the-stars/

Really surprised Laurie Hernandez is in the lineup. Thought she might take another stab at the Olympics especially considering the success of her teammate.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 11:23:26 am »

I guess this can go here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/08/30/okay-heres-how-ryan-lochte-can-win-dancing-with-the-stars/

Really surprised Laurie Hernandez is in the lineup. Thought she might take another stab at the Olympics especially considering the success of her teammate.

Rick Perry!  I will watch just to see him make an A$$ of himself.

But on Hernandez,  what does DWTS have to do with going back to the Olympics?   There are no amateur rules anymore. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org