A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:30:27 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1918 Tulsa Aero View  (Read 24788 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2016, 09:05:19 am »

I envision a new game where drivers with large, old vehicles try to trip up the autonomous vehicles the same way the British fighter pilots tipped the wings of the German V-1 Buzzbombs of WWII.

Grin

Back when airbags were first going into cars in a big way, I can remember there were quite a few incidents where people stole cars with airbags, went joy riding and intentionally crashed them to get the 'thrill' of being the first on their block to deploy an airbag in a wreck!   I can definitely see a similar type joy ride event with these - trying to fool the auto pilot of another car....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2016, 09:27:18 am »

“Historical facts” are in the eye of the beholder.  There are lots of things written that debunk the “General Motors streetcar conspiracy.”  Here’s one:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy
Is this article more true than those you referenced?  I have no idea.  But then again, neither do you.

I’m not and have never held myself out to be a transportation expert, but it does not take an expert to see that Tulsa and cities like it will not become large users of traditional mass transit like fixed rail trolleys in my lifetime.  The money spent on building image burnishing amusement park trolleys around downtown can be much better allocated to improving existing bus service and adopting modern technologies that will make most existing midsize city mass transit systems obsolete within a decade or so.  That’s not fact, that’s just my opinion.

Lol !!   Eye of the beholder....that's good.  

Facts presented before during and after the actual conviction.  Documented for decades.  And that post actually goes into all the public knowledge base.

And then veers off into his own little fantasy world...  Keep in mind, this is about documented events from a wide variety of sources.

Versus the one you posted written by a guy in a mobile home park directly across Nicholson Lane from Perkin Elmer and Xoft, Inc, in San Jose, CA.  With the polite Wiki note at the top about the neutrality being disputed.  

You are right - Tulsa is highly unlikely to ever be as enlightened, informed, or forward looking for the best interests of it's citizens as one would hope!  So we won't have a good mix solution of public transportation.  Just the inevitable ongoing mess of diesel buses spewing in the air.  With declining ridership due to reduced service, all spiraling downward and costing more and more like it has for decades.  Like what happened with trolleys when GM got involved.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:45:07 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2016, 09:17:31 pm »

For those interested, I have posted a list of books about trolleys, interurbans and electric traction in general in a new thread Trolley Books.

MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2016, 02:13:04 pm »

Back to the picture, art, map image...

One could match a lot of details here with data from the County Assessors', old photos, Sanborne insurance maps, and with a buildings point elevation cloud or wire-frame model, drape 1918-ish images to create an older Tulsa.

https://goo.gl/photos/DQXRh9Wz9zUXrY8G8

What can that do?  Well GKFF funded a Tulsa Then and Now app showcasing the B.Ford photos...  This could do so much more.  Time to contact the Hackers.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:54:09 pm by MyDogHunts » Logged

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2016, 02:45:43 pm »

Back to the picture, art, map image...

One could match a lot of details here with data from the County Assessors', old photos, Sanborn insurance maps...

Many or most buildings on the aero view match reality.  However, the highrise I mentioned in a previous post, shown on the south side of Fourth Street, between Main and Boulder -- I don't think it ever existed.  Around 1918, there may have been plans for a skyscraper at that location, but I've never heard of it.

It's a mystery to me.

MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2016, 02:52:18 pm »

Many or most buildings on the aero view match reality.  However, the highrise I mentioned in a previous post, shown on the south side of Fourth Street, between Main and Boulder -- I don't think it ever existed.  Around 1918, there may have been plans for a skyscraper at that location, but I've never heard of it.

It's a mystery to me.

In mapping deveopment we allways throw a wild herring in there to maintain that it isn't blindly coppied.  For AT&T I added a streed named after me.  It was our dataset.

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org