A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:09:37 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torero Bar & Kitchen set to open today  (Read 7730 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« on: July 29, 2016, 12:37:03 pm »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: Torero Bar & Kitchen, 202 S Cheyenne Ave, Tulsa, OK 74103 (only location)
Date/Time of Visit: 7/28/2016
Quality of Food (1-5): 2.5
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 3.5
Quality of Service (1-5): 4.5
Atmosphere (1-5): 4.5
Overall Rating (1-5): 3.5
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$$

What makes this restaurant unique: Nice interior decor. Well decorated and a nice ambiance. Looks like it would be even better after dark. Mix of cocktail tables, and regular tables and booths.

Tell us about your experience: Great selection of beer! 40+ taps and 40+ bottles. Interesting eclectic selection. Tapas were very tasty and if we come back we will try more of those and maybe empanadas, arepas and tacos.

The tapas were good. We had their most popular ceviche Aguachile (Scallops - $16) which was tasty and a grilled provolone cheese and bread dish ($9) which was outstanding. Both tapas were meager portions for the price.

The main entrees were both mediocre to bad. Had prawns and ribs. Prawns ($25) had a ton of tomato sauce which was ok and that was all that was on the plate. No sides with it and 4 prawns. So it was like spaghetti sauce and shrimp. Not great tasting. Just ok. Ribs ($16) were a tiny portion and dry and pretty good flavor and came with a side of fried plantain patties. They were pretty good. Kind of dry and not too much flavor, but nice patties overall. I would not order either again.

Excluding tip, the total was $80 for 2 entrees, the tapas and 1 beer. I thought this place would be pricey, but that exceeded my wildest expectations. Food did not match the price. It was not very filling. Maybe if we got tacos or arepas, it would've seemed like better value ($8-$10).

Overall I would go back but only for tapas. I do not recommend the entrees.

Relevant article today:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/food/torero-bar-kitchen-set-to-open-today/article_02fb4d0b-a487-579d-a831-8482587568b1.html
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 10:22:24 am »

I was underwhelmed as well. The place is pretty and the chef is talented (I know him), but something is not clicking.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:57:04 am »

And it's closing May 7th.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:10:43 am »

Do these people not even visit the places and taste the food they are trying to make?

The article said "Latin, South American, and Spanish".  I have eaten South American food in Caracas in a WAY out of the way place, next to a WAY out of the way hotel I stayed in.  Amazing food even though I still am not sure I know what it all was!  Just a small, local, "hole-in-the-wall" place that really was nice!   And the use of decorative ceramic tile in the restaurant AND the hotel was mind boggling...!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:19:27 am »

Based on the Facebook post, I can't make out if they were just hurting in sales/foot traffic, or if the lack of new development (even with the hotel opening up) just spurred them to close while they were ahead.

Either way, sorry to see it go. It was a fun place to stop by before/after BOK events.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org