A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:28:11 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blake Ewing businesses failed to pay $80k in taxes.  (Read 43410 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 03:27:16 pm »

As CEO of a company, ultimately the responsibility falls on him to make sure the forms are filled out and taxes are paid.  His issue is only topical because he’s a councilor and we do expect more out of our public officials.

I’d hate to think how many other businesses are that far in arrears to the OTC or behind on federal payroll taxes.

I’d expressed concern when he first ran for office he was spreading himself a bit thin.  Best wishes Blake on getting this all ironed out.

The Ron's Hamburgers a coworker of mine and I used to frequent for at least 8 years shut down out of the blue last year.  Would see one of the employees at Oiler games fairly frequently.  Knowing she was now out of a job, I asked what happened.

He quit paying state taxes.

That was my favorite Ron's too (21st/Garnett).  Sure the location wasn't ideal, but that place had better food than the others I've been to (The Farm, and now the one by my work).  Sad.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 04:40:45 pm »

The Ron's Hamburgers a coworker of mine and I used to frequent for at least 8 years shut down out of the blue last year.  Would see one of the employees at Oiler games fairly frequently.  Knowing she was now out of a job, I asked what happened.

He quit paying state taxes.

That was my favorite Ron's too (21st/Garnett).  Sure the location wasn't ideal, but that place had better food than the others I've been to (The Farm, and now the one by my work).  Sad.

That is what happened to Little Lannie's Submarine shop.  Predecessor of Big Al's and Bill and Ruth's.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
davideinstein
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 04:48:36 pm »

It's kind of crazy that half of the people in this thread seem to be giving him a pass. His business skips on taxes after being one of the front runners for a sales tax renewal and it's the employees?

Owners read P&L's and politicians that are owners for sure know taxes. I'm assuming too many people on here are worried about the politics involved to be critical. I challenge you to have a backbone and start questioning.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 05:04:51 pm »

It's kind of crazy that half of the people in this thread seem to be giving him a pass. His business skips on taxes after being one of the front runners for a sales tax renewal and it's the employees?

Owners read P&L's and politicians that are owners for sure know taxes. I'm assuming too many people on here are worried about the politics involved to be critical. I challenge you to have a backbone and start questioning.

I don’t detect “half” the comments on here give him a pass.

He foobared up.  According to the Channel 6 news at 5, he’s said he’s responsible and he’s working on correcting it.  What more do you want?  Do you think he should resign from office?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 05:53:24 pm »

He owned successful businesses with partners and decided to run for office. He was elected and public office ate into his time for the businesses. He turned the day to day operations over to people he believed he could trust, he took their word for how things were going, he got screwed by them, and is owning up to it and correcting the problem. He's not denying or trying to cover it up, he's doing the responsible thing when your name is on it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 09:53:17 pm »

He owned successful businesses with partners and decided to run for office. He was elected and public office ate into his time for the businesses. He turned the day to day operations over to people he believed he could trust, he took their word for how things were going, he got screwed by them, and is owning up to it and correcting the problem. He's not denying or trying to cover it up, he's doing the responsible thing when your name is on it.

Agreed.  And my assessment still stands.  Too many irons in the fire.  He's a great guy.  Hopefully he gets it rectified.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 07:27:19 am »

Here are the facts directly from the Court filings:

OTC v. Legends
http://www.oscn.net/dockets/GetCaseInformation.aspx?db=tulsa&cmid=2968690

Tax warrants issued 7/21/16 for non-payment of sales and mixed beverage taxes for the months of December, January, March and May. Claims appear to be just short of $40k.

OTC v. The Max
http://www.oscn.net/dockets/GetCaseInformation.aspx?db=tulsa&cmid=2968694

Tax warrants issued 3/30/2016 for non-payment of sales and mixed beverage taxes in November and December. Claims appear to be just short of $18k.

OTC v. the Fur Shop
http://www.oscn.net/dockets/GetCaseInformation.aspx?db=tulsa&cmid=2968698

Tax warrants issued 6/15/16 and 7/21/16 for non-payment of sales tax and mixed beverage taxes in December 2015 and May 2016. Another warrant is for failure to pay mixed beverage from May 1, 2014 to March 31, 2015. Claims appear to be ~16k (maybe? They give three numbers and I don't know if the new warrant supersedes or adds to the old warrants).

- - -

Correct my facts if I read them wrong, just quickly pulled them and posted so others can review.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 07:38:45 am »

It's embezzlement.....At the very least....

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 08:01:14 am »

Embezzlement? That's a spin. Especially without direct knowledge.  I know two employees who worked for JoMomma's. They both spoke of the administrative confusion they faced but they didn't find it unusual having worked for other restaurants. One even received two W-2's from them. That indicated that they had some clerical problems.

Yes, it wasn't his money. He was just to pass it on to the state. Business is messy. He screwed up and is working to pay off the state.

onward...through the fog
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 08:19:36 am »

Trust me, people that run restaurants like these are generally really good at one thing, and it ain't runnin a business. This is not criminal.

There is a reason restaurants open and close at such a rapid pace.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 08:31:13 am »

It's embezzlement.....At the very least....

You really seem to be hoping for the worst about Blake.

As someone who has many family members in the restaurant business I can tell you that this sort of thing is not unusual. Especially when you are dealing with multiple locations and are large enough to have others running your day to day operations. One of my Aunt's went through this very thing with two of her places and a small hotel she owns last year. Mistakes happen, frequently.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 09:11:19 am »

As someone who has many family members in the restaurant business I can tell you that this sort of thing is not unusual. Especially when you are dealing with multiple locations and are large enough to have others running your day to day operations. One of my Aunt's went through this very thing with two of her places and a small hotel she owns last year. Mistakes happen, frequently.

Did your aunt's situation also get to the point of the OTC making court filings?

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 09:18:13 am »

Did your aunt's situation also get to the point of the OTC making court filings?

I'll have to ask her. I know she had to get more involved in the day to day operations as a result. She is older and mostly retired and really wasn't doing much oversight prior to the issues coming up. Basically she was letting people that had worked for her for many years run things.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 09:25:51 am »

It's Breadburner....you know what that means.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 10:11:57 am »

In any given month, the OTC bill is the easiest bill not to pay.  If you don’t pay the beer/food vendors one month, they stop delivering beer and food.  If you don’t pay OTC one month, nothing happens - for a while.   Sounds a lot more like a cash flow issue than a clerical issue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org