A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:37:44 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RNC - what a s**t show  (Read 83911 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: July 19, 2016, 09:31:08 am »

I've been trying to stay away from politics this cycle moreso than in the last cycle on this forum, but last night's events force my hand.

First, some of the 'celebrity' speakers (an old soap star and Chachi?).  Then a fellow reality show star (Willie Robertson from Duck Dynasty, the biggest family of sellouts on reality TV).

Then, the presumptive nominee's wife gives a speech which looks like it was lifted from the First Lady's speech in 2008.  Then, the RNC director says the speechwriter should 'probably be fired'.

You think?

My favorite though?

Lou Holtz was seen roaming the floor with Crown Royal bag/bottle in hand.  Hilarious!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:54:46 am »

You know they let Americans in there right?  Wink

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:28:18 am »

Cleveland PD has the Republican convention security traffic on Broadcastify.com. Interesting stuff and a lot of nonsense. "Revolutionary groups, not violent...yet. Have dufflebags and they're changing black t-shirts for white ones."

Trump staffers passing out cease and desist orders to unauthorized vendors.

Suspicious photographers.

Gosh, this is fun!

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:41:27 am »

You know they let Americans in there right?  Wink

Are you sure?  Melania was there...she's not American.

Just saw a notice that said no one will be fired for plagiarism...of course.

Have not had much time to look in at it yet, but this whole election cycle has been the most interesting pretty much for ever!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:51:54 am »

Are you sure?  Melania was there...she's not American.

Just saw a notice that said no one will be fired for plagiarism...of course.

Have not had much time to look in at it yet, but this whole election cycle has been the most interesting pretty much for ever!!

Are her and Trump not married? I guess I just assumed. Seriously though. Or are you saying she's not 'Merican.

Politics (all of it) has devolved into prime time reality TV. The tragic part is that even if I don't watch, I still feel it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:54:34 am by erfalf » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:39 am »

Are her and Trump not married? I guess I just assumed. Seriously though. Or are you saying she's not 'Merican.

Politics (all of it) has devolved into prime time reality TV. The tragic part is that even if I don't watch, I still feel it.

Yeah, they are married.

She is Slovenian.  Which according to Trump and the other anti-immigrant fan-boys would pretty much say she doesn't deserve to be here....  Guess she is getting 'grandfathered in'.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 11:23:18 am »

The nineteen-eighty-four entrance and giant Big Brother screen werent enough... Handling Bob Dole like a sack of potatoes was shameful, and after the General's warmongering speech I fully expected us to announce which country we are bombing next.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 11:32:01 am »

Yeah, they are married.

She is Slovenian.  Which according to Trump and the other anti-immigrant fan-boys would pretty much say she doesn't deserve to be here....  Guess she is getting 'grandfathered in'.

While the speech gaffe thing is pretty funny, I will say that it certainly is no issue for me. As if Michele was the only human on planet earth who could have possibly had those experiences. My guess is the potential first lady writing style guide must be a rather thin volume.

Even if copied, it's 15 seconds of a 15 minute speech. Which now that I think about it, is par for the course for the media. Focus on one small thing, context be damned.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:35:08 am by erfalf » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 11:39:56 am »

While the speech gaffe thing is pretty funny, I will say that it certainly is no issue for me. As if Michele was the only human on planet earth who could have possibly had those experiences. My guess is the potential first lady writing style guide must be a rather thin volume.

Even if copied, it's 15 seconds of a 15 minute speech. Which now that I think about it, is par for the course for the media. Focus on one small thing, context be damned.

Kinda like that whole 'birther' thing, huh?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 11:42:27 am »

Kinda like that whole 'birther' thing, huh?

What was the context of the whole "birther" thing? that might I add was a democratic conspiracy.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 12:01:02 pm »

What was the context of the whole "birther" thing? that might I add was a democratic conspiracy.

And that should matter why?  It started within Clinton supporters who didn't want Obama to get the nom in 2008.  Does that prove it was a democratic conspiracy?  Didn't even start anywhere within her campaign.  Not really any different than what happened to McCain with the 'illegitimate black child' rumor.

Once again, context.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 12:03:57 pm »

But, back to the real topic now....

...who is up for creating a drinking game for these proceedings?

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 12:27:18 pm »

The plagiarism thing shouldn't have been a big deal:

"Some of you may know that many big speeches like that are written with the help of speech writers (pause of laughs). Mrs. Trump III gave her thoughts and words to our team of writers, and while most of the words were hers, the speech writers tried to help package the speech. Unfortunately, they apparently did so by using language they had heard in Mrs. Obama's speech. Mrs. Trump had no way of knowing this and we will address the issue internally."

Poof. Controversy over. Mrs. Trump exonerated and the campaign goes on with a minor hiccup.

Instead, they deny the similarities. Downplay the reality. Blame Hillary. Say Michelle Obama did it too. Denying it happened at all. Saying they would probably fire the speech writer. Then just moving on after that disjointed reaction. What a cluster.

The entire convention so far has been a mix between head scratcher and face palm. The fact checkers are having lots of fun too - the message isn't going to be compromised by reality!  I'm waiting for the rest of the cast from Idiocracy to take the stage.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 12:36:46 pm »

And that should matter why?  It started within Clinton supporters who didn't want Obama to get the nom in 2008.  Does that prove it was a democratic conspiracy?  Didn't even start anywhere within her campaign.  Not really any different than what happened to McCain with the 'illegitimate black child' rumor.

Once again, context.

I didn't say Clinton, just Democrat. My only qualm was that the example you brought up is completely out of left field and was in no way like what I was describing. Besides the media by and large (including Breitbart) were pretty in sync in denouncing this claim.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 12:40:26 pm »

The plagiarism thing shouldn't have been a big deal:

"Some of you may know that many big speeches like that are written with the help of speech writers (pause of laughs). Mrs. Trump III gave her thoughts and words to our team of writers, and while most of the words were hers, the speech writers tried to help package the speech. Unfortunately, they apparently did so by using language they had heard in Mrs. Obama's speech. Mrs. Trump had no way of knowing this and we will address the issue internally."

Poof. Controversy over. Mrs. Trump exonerated and the campaign goes on with a minor hiccup.

Instead, they deny the similarities. Downplay the reality. Blame Hillary. Say Michelle Obama did it too. Denying it happened at all. Saying they would probably fire the speech writer. Then just moving on after that disjointed reaction. What a cluster.

The entire convention so far has been a mix between head scratcher and face palm. The fact checkers are having lots of fun too - the message isn't going to be compromised by reality!  I'm waiting for the rest of the cast from Idiocracy to take the stage.

LOL.  We might be witnessing the death of GOP as I remembered it growing up.  I said this also...I wonder if this isn't just Trump issuing a giant F U to the party and establishment Republicans.  I still hold out that this is Trump with his greatest dupe yet.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org