A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:45:35 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog Walkers  (Read 8130 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« on: July 16, 2016, 10:25:17 am »

I do a lot of jogging on the Riverside Trails and even when it's 95 degrees you see people walking or even running with their dogs. This is very bad for the dog aside from the heat, the hot pavement can burn the dogs foot pads. Dogs cannot handle the heat as good as people. Seems some people never think about their pet, dogs can't sweat and can overheat very easy. We hear a lot of talk about dogs in locked cars when the owner goes into a store but not much about dogs on the jogging trail in the heat. Last Sunday I seen a dog that looked as if it was about to pass out it was panting so hard.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 10:28:19 am »

I wonder if a warning notice about the dangers of what heat can do to dogs  will do any good if posted in parking areas such as the 41st street QT area?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 12:52:41 pm »

I'm sure those people know what the dogs can take.....

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 10:49:54 pm »

Much like us the biggest worry is dehydration and most responsible pet owners not only bring along water RiverParks water fountains have a place for fido to drink. Now some owners with pooches with sensitive feet get dogge boots, but mostly we make sure they don't over  heat by taking breaks and hydrating. Most of us don't go  at the heat of the day but if we do its because that is what the dog expects and wants.

Thank you,
Robert Town
TeeDub
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 01:47:16 pm »

That begs a serious question.   Does the pound have AC?    It probably should as all those animals could get hot without it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:17:00 am »

That begs a serious question.   Does the pound have AC?    It probably should as all those animals could get hot without it.

The ASPCA does, and I think they operate the "pound" in Tulsa.

'Tis the season for memes on pavement hitting 451 degrees when its 65 outside.  Dogs absolutely will burn their feet to stay near their owners, but if you run or walk near grass they aren't dumb enough to burn their feet when an alternative is presented. Simple rule: if you can't stand barefoot (or place your palm flat) on the pavement, your animal probably shouldn't either.

If only common sense were common. But I'm afraid signs would be a waste of money: mocked by non-morons, ignored by morons.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 11:13:58 am »

The city of Tulsa operates the pound....Regularly walked dogs will be just fine on the park trail as well as outside dogs...Canines pads are tough and get tougher....

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »

I jog alot on the Riverside Trail and at all times of the day you see dog walkers on the trail, the dogs are panting hard but the owners don't seem to notice or care. Panting is a dogs only way to keep cool.  Today (Sunday July 24th)  around noon it was in the 90's and people were walking (and some running) with their dogs on the Riverside Trail, if anything they should walk/run the dog early in the morning. I seen people with dogs on the trail when it was 100 degrees, I dunno how far they go with the dog or if they live nearby but 100 degrees is too hot for any dog. People can sweat and splash themselves with water too cool off, dogs can only pant to keep cool. I'm surprised dog owners do that, but then dog owners also have been known to leave dogs in hot cars parked in shopping centers. JMO.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:51:33 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 03:09:49 pm »

We run our dogs on hot days because it tenderizes them. They're tastier that way.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 09:26:00 am »

We run our dogs on hot days because it tenderizes them. They're tastier that way.

"Doggy-Que".   

Hundreds of millions of McDonalds' customers can't be wrong!!

Sorry....just couldn't resist....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 10:04:10 am »

"Doggy-Que".   

Hundreds of millions of McDonalds' customers can't be wrong!!

Sorry....just couldn't resist....

Now you know why the McRib has such a distinct taste to it...........  Grin
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 11:45:35 am »

Now you know why the McRib has such a distinct taste to it...........  Grin

And it's only around some of the time....guess they have to "save up" all the pound dogs to get enough to distribute nationally.  Even all the Oklahoma puppy mills can't crank them out fast enough....

One of the kids spent some time in South Korea and tried it while there.  Said it tasted like a wet, muddy dog smells.... Guess I will pass.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 11:13:34 am »

Dogs in hot cars do the same.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org