A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:36:31 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best local stuff  (Read 2399 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« on: July 11, 2016, 12:43:58 pm »

I am embarking on a new project that should keep me out of controversial TN topics, for a while at least. I have a nice little event bus that I purchased, renovated, refurbished, repurposed and took on as my own child. Which means of course tremendous outlays of cash and ego. Its not a party bus per se, but is certainly a nice platform for parties. It is a Champion 29 passenger bus on a Freightliner chassis that's capable of highway speeds but is nimble enough for city use. Its great for trips up to about two hours away. I cut the passengers down to 22, re-arranged the high back seating, added creature comforts, lighting, stereo, power outlets etc. Rides nice and has big tinted windows.

Of course it will be available for charter, football games, museum trips, organizations, clubs, weddings etc. Lots of buses do that and the style of my bus is unique so I'll get some of that business. But, I want to carry groups to visit what I think are the Tulsa area's little known but very interesting, treasures. The Tulsa I think most of us on here love to share. I also want to make connections for those that fear the areas outside of their comfort zone. It still amazes me how many people are scared of downtown, North side, West side, East side and won't visit them. And, the undeserved loathing that much of these areas have for South Tulsa/Jenks/Bixby/Broken Arrow, Owasso and Sand Springs. I am a native Tulsan so I long ago lost any reservation about visiting these areas and their businesses.

For instance a couple of our family favorites from when the kids were little is Redbud Valley out east and Braden Park in Whiteside. We also loved going to Turkey Mountain but that is no longer a secret! Also little known is a space ship looking, round home on pillars, over in North West Tulsa.

Please tell me about your favorite little known treasure that makes Tulsa special to you. Whether its Historical, architectural, magical, scary, dated, or food related. I may call upon you to help with that tour. I thought immediately of Franklin and our Art Deco district, Reservoir Hill, Osage Prairie, and the tunnels of downtown Tulsa.

My website is almost done but not ready for prime time. So send me a message here or at my email.

Thanks, Steve

onward...through the fog
davideinstein
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 02:57:47 pm »

But then it won't be a hidden treasure anymore?  Wink
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 04:36:00 pm »

TulsaNow sent a question to the mayoral candidates asking where they would take people who were in Tulsa for a short period of time. Luckily, I thought that through in my head as I had an Aunt and Uncle stop by on a roadtrip. ~2 hours to spend.

My house in midtown, through from harvard cut through the neighborhood to Philbrook and the Rose Garden. Pop out down Brookside, head downtown and zip down Boston and over to the Brady. We parked at Guthrie and walked to the Prairie Brewpub. Scoped out the Center of the Universe, walked by the Ballpark (there was a game on), and back in the car. Headed over to the Blue Dome, down 3rd to the University of Tulsa, up Harvard to cut across Expo. Stopped at the Driller for a photo op, and back to my house.

Well packaged 2 hour tour of Tulsa.  I'd love to show them more - the refineries (people who didn't grow up near oil can't believe all the pipes, and tanks, and flames...), ORU's "Jetson" campus and the giant hands, Brookside, Gilcrease, etc. etc. etc. But I had 2 hours.  Grin

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 06:07:34 pm »

Thank you. Had overlooked the Center of the Universe and the Driller. Great photo ops. I had a friend who used to tell me that really WAS the center of the universe and we should be proud to have it. Of course, theoretically in an infinite, expanding universe....

And yes, when I did river tours people used to ask if we could stop and visit the refinery. Not every city has one. It lights up real nice at night.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:09:07 pm by AquaMan » Logged

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:49:59 am »

Magical Mystery Tours!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:34:11 am »

I have a few "Mystery Tours" lined up. I interview the customer about their group, design a trip and, other than what to wear, don't tell them where or what we're doing till they board.

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org