A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:16:40 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Dirt / Americana / Hipsters  (Read 10509 times)
johrasephoenix
« on: July 09, 2016, 06:51:30 pm »

I grew up in small town/rural Oklahoma and loved the whole hipster Americana/country/bluegrass/folk scene when I lived in Austin after college.  It was a big part of the local culture.

Oklahoma has an awesome Red Dirt music scene.  How come it's so weak in Tulsa?  I would love a music venue downtown where young people raged against Nashville and listened to the best up and coming Red Dirt acts.  What gives?

We can't compete with St. Louis, Chicago, NYC on traditional hipsters.... but we can compete with awesome alternative country.  That seems like a big missed opportunity to craft our own alternative/indie/underground scene. 

I mean we are Indian Territory after all.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:05:51 pm »

Just asked a friend what Red Dirt music was and we googled it.  Bleh.  Cant stand it when people sing with a twang and through their nose.  Way to backwoods country for me.  This is not Austin.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
davideinstein
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:58:32 pm »

Just asked a friend what Red Dirt music was and we googled it.  Bleh.  Cant stand it when people sing with a twang and through their nose.  Way to backwoods country for me.  This is not Austin.

Yikes. Closer to Austin than your desire to be New York.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 06:06:40 am »

Yikes. Closer to Austin than your desire to be New York.

Maybe, maybe not.  He wanted an answer, I gave him a possible one.

If the proof is in the pudding... Red Dirt scene big in Austin, not in NYC or Tulsa  Wink

So there ya go.  Cool

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:50:54 am »

Red Dirt starts around Chandler, OK. We are more Black Dirt/Green Country around here. Seriously, we're closer to Arkansas/Kansas/Missouri than either Austin or NYC.

Country doesn't seem so Country as it used to when Johnny Cash was around. Its formulaic. Beer, pick-up trucks, dogs, hot girls and breakin' up.

onward...through the fog
davideinstein
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 09:29:47 am »

Maybe, maybe not.  He wanted an answer, I gave him a possible one.

If the proof is in the pudding... Red Dirt scene big in Austin, not in NYC or Tulsa  Wink

So there ya go.  Cool

I know a lot of people into Red Dirt in Oklahoma...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:34:29 am »

I know a lot of people into Red Dirt in Oklahoma...

Farmers?  Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 11:13:13 am »

If the demand was there, those bands would be getting booked here.  The genre has been around for quite some time so it’s not as if it is something new an un-tried in Tulsa.  Is it something hipsters would listen to a few nights every week?  Sound Pony seems to be about as much of a hipster bar as there is in Tulsa but I’m not aware of Josh booking a lot of red dirt bands.

It’s kind of like the guy who used to post here complaining about a lack of places to get something to eat at 2am in downtown: the economics have to make sense.  If there was enough demand it would exist.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 10:30:58 pm »

The Colony.  The Mercury.  Ocassionly the Vanguard.  Others.  I'm a big Red Dirt fan.  It's there if you want to find it. 

davideinstein
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 10:39:03 pm »

The Colony.  The Mercury.  Ocassionly the Vanguard.  Others.  I'm a big Red Dirt fan.  It's there if you want to find it. 

Yep.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 10:42:30 pm »

I grew up in small town/rural Oklahoma and loved the whole hipster Americana/country/bluegrass/folk scene when I lived in Austin after college.  It was a big part of the local culture.

Oklahoma has an awesome Red Dirt music scene.  How come it's so weak in Tulsa?  I would love a music venue downtown where young people raged against Nashville and listened to the best up and coming Red Dirt acts.  What gives?

We can't compete with St. Louis, Chicago, NYC on traditional hipsters.... but we can compete with awesome alternative country.  That seems like a big missed opportunity to craft our own alternative/indie/underground scene. 

I mean we are Indian Territory after all.

I never hear about it here in town, but when ya go west just a few miles, it starts popping up.  KOSU, 91.7 on your FM dial (107.5 Tulsa), Stillwater - on Sunday evenings has a nice lineup of shows, starting with For the Sake of the Song at 7 pm - nice mix - sponsored by the Blue Door in OKC.  Leading into Tumbleweeds All the Way Down at 8 pm.  Then ya got the hardcore, red dirt music, Red Dirt Radio Hour at 9 pm.

Used to be a good little show called Songs From the Plains - currently on hiatus...may not be back, but was worth listening to.

Enjoy!

But be very, very careful !  It's NPR and any time outside of these, one might actually learn something good, interesting, and of use to a citizen in a democratic Republic!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 08:24:59 am »

You forgot Soul City.
johrasephoenix
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 08:38:19 am »

Good to know.  I've got to hit up these bars outside downtown like the Colony and Mercury.  I'm still new here and on the only-going-to-bars-I-can-walk-to-thus-no-DUI kick.  Thank heaven for Uber.  Also really want to check out Soul City on a no-cover night.

Apparently the Turnpike Troubadours sell out Cain's and Brady Theater every time so I can't be alone and wanting that kind of music!

The whole Red Dirt every night scene is probably hurt by the lack of a big public college.  They tend to supply both the hipsters who can drink hard on a Wednesday and the aspiring Americana stars who will play for tips.  You think about the Red Dirt hot spots - Stillwater, Austin, College Station... all college towns. 

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 09:00:41 am »

Good to know.  I've got to hit up these bars outside downtown like the Colony and Mercury.  I'm still new here and on the only-going-to-bars-I-can-walk-to-thus-no-DUI kick.  Thank heaven for Uber.  Also really want to check out Soul City on a no-cover night.

Apparently the Turnpike Troubadours sell out Cain's and Brady Theater every time so I can't be alone and wanting that kind of music!

The whole Red Dirt every night scene is probably hurt by the lack of a big public college.  They tend to supply both the hipsters who can drink hard on a Wednesday and the aspiring Americana stars who will play for tips.  You think about the Red Dirt hot spots - Stillwater, Austin, College Station... all college towns. 

He's not "Red Dirt", but my husband Randy Brumley will be playing Soul City this Thursday (he alternates Thursdays with Mark Gibson) with no cover charge. If you like acoustic singer/songwriter stuff you will surely enjoy it!

https://www.reverbnation.com/randybrumley
https://www.facebook.com/brumleymusic/
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 10:22:23 am »

Defining "red dirt" music is not crisp and clean anyway... somewhere between folk, country, honkey tonk, rock, and string band. And sometimes including all or one of the above.

But if you look, you'll find it. Hell, we had a red dirt band on Cry Baby Hill this year.

The Red Dirt Rangers are playing in Tulsa twice this week... start from there.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org