A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:08:37 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chapman Centenniel Green  (Read 43312 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2016, 10:04:39 am »

As long as we're on the topic of trees...

Apparently, it's also important that you always plant native trees because they attract insects that are critical to native birds. (Same with berries/nuts/seeds which are needed by native wildlife, which I think I touched on above.)  Apparently, if you plant non-native species, you don't get the right kind of bugs / berries / nuts / seeds for the ecosystem, and your native species suffer.  Who knew!

So true!

Farmers/gardeners know and knew.    I recently got access to a nice area of pasture where I have been able to set up a strip along the front, about 50 feet wide, that contains a huge variety of pollinator bait.  Actually, I didn't have to do much - just let it grow.  The butterfly show is always impressive.  Also have a pretty big population of what is a "near threatened" species of frog - Crawfish frog.  Yep, they eat crawfish!  Before I found them, I had delusions of occasional crawfish boils!!

Also used some methods I knew were good, but never had opportunity to try on a bigger scale.  One in pasture management - neighbors in the area average about 1.5 to 2 of those large round bales per acre on their places.  I get just over 6 - literally next door.  Guess I will "keep on truckin'..."

I have a large honey locust tree that I am trying to decide what to do about -  beautiful trees!!  Gazillions of those long seed pods that draw deer like candy!  And little honey locust trees over a 5 acre area!  And spikes!  Up to 6" long to hang the grandkids on to keep them out of my hair!!     Just kidding!!!   Am going to cut it down just to keep them out of it.   Plus get some magnificent lumber!!  That will become the American Chestnut experimental space at that time.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2016, 10:06:29 am »

And while we are off the topic of Chapman Green....  I may have missed it here - probably - but is there a tree plan for the place?  Or just discussions now?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2016, 10:22:46 am »

There is a plan to install video screens around perimeter.

Fundraising is occurring as we speak.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2016, 05:51:37 pm »

And while we are off the topic of Chapman Green....  I may have missed it here - probably - but is there a tree plan for the place?  Or just discussions now?

No tree plan that I know of.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2016, 08:56:21 am »

Sadness -no trees!    If I have success with the American Chestnut, maybe they would be interested in a donated tree....?   The resistant one, not the blight tree....

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2016, 06:25:32 pm »

Perhaps someone could sneak out there in the dark of night and plant a tree in the middle of the park where the oak once was.  Cool

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2016, 07:43:56 pm »

Perhaps someone could sneak out there in the dark of night and plant a tree in the middle of the park where the oak once was.  Cool

Forget that idea.

Source: jefflphoto.com

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:46:13 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2016, 08:34:31 pm »

The secret to anonymous acts of public works is to wear a reflective vest and a hard hat, and do the work in broad daylight.  If you own a white pickup, all the better.  A few orange cones never hurt anyone either.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:52 pm »

The secret to anonymous acts of public works is to wear a reflective vest and a hard hat, and do the work in broad daylight.

There's plenty of broad daylight at the Chapman Centennial Green and the Walton Family Lawn.  Lots of bright sunshine ... very little shade ...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 09:00:55 am »

The secret to anonymous acts of public works is to wear a reflective vest and a hard hat, and do the work in broad daylight.  If you own a white pickup, all the better.  A few orange cones never hurt anyone either.

I could do that...wonder if it would get watered?   Needs to be after the first frost....

davideinstein
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2016, 01:32:59 pm »

Forget that idea.

Source: jefflphoto.com

Pokemon Go player?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2016, 01:46:59 pm »

Pokemon Go player?

Pee Party follower.  Same difference.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2016, 08:46:31 pm »

If people routinely steal the copper wiring and aluminum poles of the streetlights that "fight crime" we can probably have guerilla gardening.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2016, 08:51:40 pm »

If a small oak tree were to appear in front of DECOPOLIS (Michael cough) it might then appear planted in the park.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2016, 09:52:24 am »

If a small oak tree were to appear in front of DECOPOLIS (Michael cough) it might then appear planted in the park.

Let me see if I can get an American Chestnut going...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org