A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:17:49 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concrete recommendation?  (Read 32148 times)
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« on: June 17, 2016, 01:53:49 pm »

I am looking to extend my pool deck and have what's there replaced as well. I spoke to a few neighbors who have done this in the recent past and each one has said who they have used but also said they would not reuse them at all. So I am looking for recommendations on a good concrete person/company that will do the work in a timely manner (actually show up).

Thanks!!
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 02:13:45 pm »

We used Schneider Concrete to do two patios and walkway out of 4'x4' squares, in out backyard.  We hired him, pretty much, because he actually showed up to give us a bid.  His price seemed reasonable to us and we really like the work he did.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:10:41 am »

Whoever you choose to do the work, I would ask that they add Fibermesh to the concrete. It is tiny polypropylene fibers that strengthen the concrete in every direction. Our driveway extension has Fibermesh and after nearly 20 years we have yet to have a single crack.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:43:42 am »

Still needs expansion cuts in the concrete even with the fibers.

Angies List has a few places listed with reviews if you are interested in that kind of reference....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:56:10 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:05:22 pm »

Gillco Construction
Jeff Gillispie
918 625 1671

As good as they come...

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 12:06:15 pm »

Still needs expansion cuts in the concrete even with the fibers.

Angies List has a few places listed with reviews if you are interested in that kind of reference....

Those would be called control joints...Nothing to do with expansion....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:29:58 am »

Tomaytoe.   Tumahto.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 03:00:06 pm »

Tomaytoe.   Tumahto.

Wrong again...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 09:56:41 am »

Wrong again...

I'm practicing being you.  It is just so difficult for me to be so consistently limited, though. 

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 05:26:08 pm »

Right.

Tomaytoe.   Tumahto.

Wrong.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 10:36:11 am »

Right.

Wrong.

Ayep....

Still gotta have 'em, no matter what ya call 'em....

And they can either be cut.  Or formed in place with spacer (wood, plastic, etc)

MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 05:18:34 pm »

Unless you post-stress the concrete via cables, but that's potatoe.

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 06:07:17 pm »

Ayep....

And they can either be cut.  Or formed in place with spacer (wood, plastic, etc)

Good lord...

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 08:22:15 pm »

Ayep....

And they can either be cut.  Or formed in place with spacer (wood, plastic, etc)

Anope....

Ya don't gotta have 'em, but under certain conditions, "they" sometimes can be of great benefit, as can knowing what you're discussing before you hit the "Post" button.

"They" are not the same.

Hint:  Before typing another inane comment, look for a reliable source of information about subjects such as: concrete curing, contraction, control joints, expansion, and fiber reinforced concrete online* or in a printed glossary of very common, basic, elementary construction terms/concepts/methods.

Take your vorpal sword in hand and slay the manxome foe of ignorance.  Read.  Learn.  Enlighten yourself.  That's the very best, most concrete recommendation I can give you.   Wink

*Some online sources, such as the frumious Wikipedia and discussion boards frequented by ignorant trolls, can be misleading or even false.  Be cautious.  Use judgment.  Discriminate.  Discern.  Don't let your mind be polluted with tainted "facts" while you're standing (or sitting) in uffish thought.     
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:35:32 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 08:32:44 pm »

Anope....

Ya don't gotta have 'em, but under certain conditions, "they" sometimes can be of great benefit, as can knowing what you're discussing before you hit the "Post" button.

"They" are not the same.

Hint:  Before typing another inane comment, look for such terms as: concrete curing, contraction, control joints, expansion, and fiber reinforced concrete online or in a printed glossary of very common, basic, elementary construction terms/concepts/methods.

Take your vorpal sword in hand and slay the manxome foe of ignorance.  Read.  Learn.  Enlighten yourself.  That's the very best, most concrete recommendation I can give you.   Wink

Remember Boo, some still people consider Wikipedia scholarly material when they want to chime in on someone else’s conversation...completely unarmed.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org