A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:27 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Mass shootings  (Read 178237 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2016, 11:02:03 am »

I attempted to add Plissken with no success
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2016, 06:50:10 pm »

I have to agree with the moderator on this one.  TN wasn't formed to discuss police beatings.  It was formed to discuss Tulsa Centric subjects, specifically development.

Some folks go overboard and in that case...enough is enough.  We get it...some cops do bad things...I'm not logging on here to be reminded of it day after day.

Well we're sure going to miss the "Sports talk," "Entertainment," "Chat and Advice" and "Restaurant Reviews" that arent part of the TulsaNow Forum mission.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2016, 10:48:20 pm »

Let's be clear. This is not a publicly owned site. It's private property and we use it by permission. Tulsa Now would be within their rights if they insisted the only permissible subject was neutered, left-handed Tom cats. When you play in someone's sand box, it's best to play by their rules.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2016, 11:26:46 pm »

Plus the locking of the other thread had more to do with how many posts, there are already threads for police misconduct, there are other topics for other incidents. No point in flooding the forum with new topics every time, when updating current ones works just fine.

I'll just leave this here.

Thank you,
Robert Town
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2016, 06:33:42 am »

OMG you too?!  It's my favorite thing to do!

sarcasm off...

Ok, what were you doing that it even remotely occurred to you to google that?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2016, 12:59:32 pm »

I cant see how some people laugh at this discussion.  Very disrespectful.

I am against police brutality.
I am against the killing of cops.
These are not contradictory.

When you attack random members of a large group (be it police, Muslums etc.) because of the bad actions of the few, you empower the few to escallate their behavior because they can hide behind their new victim status.

Wash, rinse, repeat.  The cycle continues.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2016, 01:42:30 pm »

In this case it serves to focus on the failure of police training, the fallacy of some pro gun arguments, (specifically how everyone being armed in this case would have lessened the death toll) and a serious examination of what decades of war and declining education have done to the psyche of our population. We have problems with race, gender, anger, religion and income inequality in our country. That doesn't diminish our greatness. Recognition of these problems and addressing them is what makes us great.

onward...through the fog
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2016, 03:21:59 pm »

In this case it serves to focus on the failure of police training, the fallacy of some pro gun arguments, (specifically how everyone being armed in this case would have lessened the death toll) and a serious examination of what decades of war and declining education have done to the psyche of our population. We have problems with race, gender, anger, religion and income inequality in our country. That doesn't diminish our greatness. Recognition of these problems and addressing them is what makes us great.

Prosecutors and judges have given their blessing to deadly force whenever there is only a a "perception" of a threat, so when police are daily bombarded with the unions' "Soldier they are all out to get you so do whatever you have to do to make it home alive" brainwashing then what do you think the outcome is?

The there's Chief Jordan saying "Im a target just because I wear this uniform."

But the truth, according to statistics, is that it’s not any more dangerous to be a cop now than it has been in years past. In fact, 2015 is on pace to have near-record low levels of deadly violence against police.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-police-reform_us_56002672e4b0fde8b0cefcdd

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/07/08/police-safeguards-dallas-shootings/86847240/

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2016, 09:18:41 pm »

OMG you too?!  It's my favorite thing to do!

sarcasm off...

Ok, what were you doing that it even remotely occurred to you to google that?

Kinda scary isn't it??   It was like someone was crawling around in my head....!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2016, 11:03:38 pm »

In this case it serves to focus on the failure of police training, the fallacy of some pro gun arguments, (specifically how everyone being armed in this case would have lessened the death toll)

Apparently the Minnesota man killed in the live-streamed traffic stop's fatal mistake was telling the officer he had a legal conceal carry.   Its a no-win.
http://www.startribune.com/philando-castile-had-permit-to-carry-gun/386054481/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2016, 11:16:11 pm »

Apparently the Minnesota man killed in the live-streamed traffic stop's fatal mistake was telling the officer he had a legal conceal carry.   Its a no-win.
http://www.startribune.com/philando-castile-had-permit-to-carry-gun/386054481/

Catch 22. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2016, 09:13:49 am »

Prosecutors and judges have given their blessing to deadly force whenever there is only a a "perception" of a threat, so when police are daily bombarded with the unions' "Soldier they are all out to get you so do whatever you have to do to make it home alive" brainwashing then what do you think the outcome is?

The there's Chief Jordan saying "Im a target just because I wear this uniform."

But the truth, according to statistics, is that it’s not any more dangerous to be a cop now than it has been in years past. In fact, 2015 is on pace to have near-record low levels of deadly violence against police.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-police-reform_us_56002672e4b0fde8b0cefcdd

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/07/08/police-safeguards-dallas-shootings/86847240/

Just playing Devil's advocate, but I'm seeing a potential cause and effect here.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2016, 12:21:31 pm »

Out of the box solution.

New Police Academy for those that "want to make a difference" in how police do their jobs. We'll even deploy them to the neighborhood of their choosing.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2016, 02:02:23 pm »

New Police Academy for those that "want to make a difference" in how police do their jobs. We'll even deploy them to the neighborhood of their choosing.

I believe most have that intention but just get swallowed up by the culture.   A residency requirement might still be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:03:54 pm by patric » Logged

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2016, 07:44:29 pm »

The rate at which whites are killed by cops in this country is astounding. Dozens of times worse than other developed countries.

And the rate that blacks are killed by cops is double that of whites.

And the rates Native Americans and the mentally ill are killed is even worse then blacks.

Put this in perspective. Last year in Oklahoma 28 people were killed by cops. 12 of them were black, when blacks are less than 10% of the population.

Oklahoma has 4 million people. Germany has 80 million people, 20x the population of Oklahoma and in the last five years German cops have killed 31 people. Oklahoma's cop kill rate is 80 times that of Germany, and our kill rate of blacks is 10 times higher than the overall population. 800 times higher than Germany. 800 Times!!!.

We have a very serious problem and race is an important factor, but even that aside, something is very, very wrong with how police act in this country.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org