A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:39:26 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Mass shootings  (Read 178244 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2016, 03:37:20 pm »

Sorry, but no.

Recognized tribes is not the same thing as distinct different groups of people. By far most of those “tribes” are tiny bands or villages. The majority of natives today belong to just 10-15 tribes and even those are not completely or historically distinct.

This one probably got lost in the last post.  Hundreds.

As peer reviewed by Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C.   

http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2014/06/Tribal_Nations_Map_NA.pdf

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2016, 04:17:03 pm »

This one probably got lost in the last post.  Hundreds.

As peer reviewed by Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C.  

http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2014/06/Tribal_Nations_Map_NA.pdf

It’s a cool map to be sure. It has the larger groups and then even some towns. But every name on this map is not a distinct people or tribe, by far.

We can talk about the section I am more familiar with, in what is modern Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and into Florida and South Carolina. In the middle of this area of the map they have Mvskoke Etvlwv which is today The Muscogee (Creek) Nation, and the surrounding names are of towns and other related people like Chahta and Chickasha (Choctaw and Chickasaw), Mikasuki (Seminole), Koasati and Albaamaha (Alabama-Choushatta).  This is the region that was the Creek Confederacy that today is a dozen or more federally recognized tribes and tribal towns. Historically it was one civilization, a country really in all ideas of the term, in the pre-Colombian area. Look at the name of the towns they have included such as Ocmulgee and Coosa. The only distinct non Muscogean people in this region of the map is what they have as Tsoyaha, which is the real name of the Euchee tribe who came out of Florida and were massacred by the Cherokee and then taken in and protected by the Upper Creeks. Dozens of names on the map across five modern states, but only two distinct people, and only one of which had a substantial population. These people along with the Cherokee to the north became the modern Five Civilized Tribes, which today are made up of probably two dozen federally recognized tribes.

This can be repeated across several areas of the map. Go look up The Great Sioux Nation. It was the size of a large European country.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:22:55 pm by swake » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2016, 08:05:00 pm »

Ahem...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »

Ahem...

Along that same line, are you going to the DA festivities on Friday?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2016, 09:41:15 pm »

On Monday, Chief Mina answered in a way that left open the possibility that some of the 49 people killed and 53 wounded were, in fact, hit by police gunfire.
“That’s part of the investigation, but here’s what I will tell you: Those killings are on the suspect,” he said.
Norman Caisano said that after hiding and then making his way toward the club entrance, “I poked my head out, and the police actually shot at me.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/us/fbi-transcripts-orlando-shooting-omar-mateen.html?_r=0

OTOH, in the aftermath of last years Twin Peaks/Waco massacre, police also heaped praise on themselves for saving X-amount of lives without disclosing they might have been responsible for about half of the casualties.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2016, 01:52:39 pm »

Too much of this is falling neatly into different group's laps.  ISIS gets to make claims.  Homophobes get to make claims.  Anti-gunners get to make claims.  Everybody is positioning to get a piece of the action.  The real story is gonna be much less 'exotic'.  He was an a$$hole with a gun - just like Timothy McVeigh was an a$$hole with a big yellow truck.

A man who says he was the shooter's lover says he flipped out when he discovered one of his latino bois had HIV:
http://www.univision.com/univision-news/united-states/orlando-massacre-was-revenge-not-terrorism-says-man-who-claims-he-was-gunmans-lover

...but the FBI says they cant find any evidence he was gay; apparently by not interviewing anyone who says he is.
http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/officials-no-evidence-orlando-gunman-omar-mateen-was-gay-1.11963327

That makes it ISIS for sure.
/s

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2016, 08:53:43 am »

A man who says he was the shooter's lover says he flipped out when he discovered one of his latino bois had HIV:
http://www.univision.com/univision-news/united-states/orlando-massacre-was-revenge-not-terrorism-says-man-who-claims-he-was-gunmans-lover

...but the FBI says they cant find any evidence he was gay; apparently by not interviewing anyone who says he is.
http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/officials-no-evidence-orlando-gunman-omar-mateen-was-gay-1.11963327

That makes it ISIS for sure.
/s

Rich and powerful setting the discussion so all the sheeple fall in and stay in line.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2016, 08:56:10 am »

Ahem...

Yes, back to the mass shooting of beer!!

But, yum!!

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2016, 10:49:14 am »

Yes, back to the mass shooting of beer!!

But, yum!!

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2016, 11:11:32 am »

Helping?  Why would I want to do that?    Huh...interesting concept, though...!  May have to try it sometime.

I am just channeling my inner Donald Trump today!   Taking the sauerkraut/Breadburner path to inner peace and cosmic consciousness!

And now this from our sponsors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emA-IK2RcKY

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2016, 10:01:18 am »

I saw on another thread where were not supposed to discuss shootings that involve cops, which is ironic that for the last couple of days the rash of "officer involved shootings" has been most of CNN's news cycle. 

Im not going to question the moderator's quest for list purity, but as another poster eloquently stated earlier, we cant stay insulated from national trends.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2016, 11:01:32 am »

I saw on another thread where were not supposed to discuss shootings that involve cops, which is ironic that for the last couple of days the rash of "officer involved shootings" has been most of CNN's news cycle. 

Im not going to question the moderator's quest for list purity, but as another poster eloquently stated earlier, we cant stay insulated from national trends.

That’s not what I read.  I believe it was more along the lines of we don’t need multiple threads addressing police brutality in various places around the country.  I can see where it becomes "mission creep” from hosting a forum which was founded as a Tulsa development forum.  I did manage to see the meme Vashta had posted of a perp who was beaten beyond recognition before it was taken down and it was beyond disturbing.  There are plenty of places to post stuff like that like a personal FB page if someone is so inclined.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2016, 11:41:48 am »

I have to agree with the moderator on this one.  TN wasn't formed to discuss police beatings.  It was formed to discuss Tulsa Centric subjects, specifically development.

Some folks go overboard and in that case...enough is enough.  We get it...some cops do bad things...I'm not logging on here to be reminded of it day after day.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2016, 01:45:15 pm »

That’s not what I read.  I believe it was more along the lines of we don’t need multiple threads addressing police brutality in various places around the country.  I can see where it becomes "mission creep” from hosting a forum which was founded as a Tulsa development forum.

Ill have to take your word for it since it apparently wasnt up long.  As for TNF, we've almost elevated mission creep to an art form.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2016, 01:47:13 pm »

Speaking of creep, have you ever run a Google Image search for "snake wearing a hat?"

https://www.google.com/search?q=snake+wearing+a+hat&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_u92Fj-LNAhVG6SYKHUd_B-EQ_AUICCgB&biw=1280&bih=619

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org