A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:07:54 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the City widening Denver Ave?  (Read 19624 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »

I was chatting with a city engineer recently, and he said "maybe they want to fix that 'kink' in the road."  He didn't know anything about the project, but his instinctive reaction was that a bend in the road was bad.

Here's the "kink"...

Kinks and curves in roads are FUN!  Straight roads are boring and cause sleepiness.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 10:54:09 am »

Is it the bend or the swell there?  I've always thought the bend combined with the elevation change down and then back up there caused a bit of an issue that made sure you were paying attention.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 01:33:56 pm »

From the Improve Our Tulsa website:

Non-Arterial "DENVER AV" Street Project #144467
Proj #: 144467
Description: Rehabilitation
Location: Maintenance Zone 4067: Denver Ave. from 13th St. to Riverside Dr., 16th Pl. from Denver Ave. to Carson Ave., 17th St. and 18th St. from Boulder Ave. to Cincinnati Ave. and Baltimore Ave. from 15th St. to 18th St.
Budget: $4,855,000.00
Current Status: Design
Design Date:   2014
Construction:   2016
Engineer:   Guy

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 01:38:37 pm »

Maybe to give some contractor a job, I see no reason for it. I see a lot of un-needed road work going on as far as that goes.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 05:36:12 pm »

Really? Drive up Denver from Riverside past 15th to the expressway. Its a road in dire need of repair or replacement. So is 18th around Boston. Main is nice though. Then for some fun, try thinking past your own interests (running) and consider that the Gathering Place will likely put additional stress on this area as people drive, bike, and shuttle between Riverparks, downtown entertainment, hospitals, arena, churches, etc. Then consider that if you repair/replace it would be a good time to widen, add sidewalks etc. Doesn't seem like make work for contractors. Seems like good planning.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 06:17:45 pm »

Really? Drive up Denver from Riverside past 15th to the expressway. Its a road in dire need of repair or replacement. So is 18th around Boston. Main is nice though. Then for some fun, try thinking past your own interests (running) and consider that the Gathering Place will likely put additional stress on this area as people drive, bike, and shuttle between Riverparks, downtown entertainment, hospitals, arena, churches, etc. Then consider that if you repair/replace it would be a good time to widen, add sidewalks etc. Doesn't seem like make work for contractors. Seems like good planning.

Don't forget; he hasn't provided any proof he really even lives here.

I know I do.  There are several segments of road in this town that need attention.  21st Street between Memorial and Sheridan come to mind.  It's like driving on the dark side of the moon out there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 02:08:38 pm »

It can't be enough extra money in the budget to buy those houses on Denver.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 03:01:57 pm »

There is a five-property gap between the multi-family on the North and the professional building on the South of the "kink".  They could eliminate most of the kink just by straightening the street in that area, and not have to mess with any of the buildings.  But I agree with an earlier poster, I don't see an issue with it as it is.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 06:44:39 am »

If our traffic engineers are worried about that "kink" in the road, would be interesting to see how they would react if you set them down in a traditional city like London.  They would have to destroy most of the city in order for the traffic to flow "efficiently". How ever do those poor people in those other cities like that make it?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 08:39:07 am »

There are worse kinks in town

17th & Utica
8th & Utica (or Lewis... somewhere in that vicinity)

Hwy 75 still has (I think it used to be worse)  an abrupt kink/sheer in the lane stripes around the new 71st street overpass..  
The pavement continues to go straight, but the stripes shift over (far worse offender in my opinion)
new wider pavement?  Lets shift the lanes out for reasons.  You definitely need to be alert to make sure the car next to you is aware of the shift.  I witnessed several close calls when that was my commute

Google Maps  (north of the bridge)
(It doesn't appear that abrupt from the air... but it's pretty abrupt at hwy speed)

Google Maps  (south of the bridge - not as bad)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:42:58 am by BKDotCom » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org